D&D 1E How about a little love for AD&D 1E

MWLewis

Explorer
Battered and bruised, but tried and true. Ain't anyone going to take away my 1e. I love basic/expert, too, but find nothing more satisfying than flipping and turning, now finding and scanning, through those AD&D rulebooks. Arguing about the rules is a feature, not a flaw.
So to all you haters, just leave them old kids alone!

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Gastro-intestinal problems of chronic nature cause the loss of 1 point each of strength and constitution per occurrence until cured, severe attacks causing such loss permanently. Terminal cases require 1-12 weeks for fatality.

One of the things stressed in the original game of D&D was the importance of recording game time with respect to each and every player character in a campaign. In AD&D it is emphasized even more: YOU CAN NOT HAVE A MEANINGFUL CAMPAIGN IF STRICT TIME RECORDS ARE NOT KEPT.

A MONK AT 1ST LEVEL IS CAPABLE OF STUNNING OR KILLING ONLY AN OPPONENT OF MAN-SIZE (M) OR SMALLER. FOR PURPOSES OF THIS DETERMINATION, MAN-SIZE SHALL BE:
Maximum Height: 6’6’’
Maximum Weight: 300#
For each level above the lst, the monk will gain additional stunning/killing ability at the rate of 2 inches of height and 50 pounds of opponent
weight per level of experience gained.

Saving throws will NOT be aided by magic armor against: GAS POISON SPELLS WHICH DO NOT CAUSE PHYSICAL DAMAGE* petrification, polymorph, magic jar, charm. Saving throw rolls WILL receive an armor bonus against: ACID, EXCEPT WHEN IMMERSION OCCURS DISINTEGRATION FALLING DAMAGE FIRE, MAGICAL AND OTHERWISE SPELLS WHICH CAUSE PHYSICAL DAMAGE* Exception: Metallic armor will NOT add to saving throws versus electrical attacks, although nonmetallic armor will do so.

Lunacy: This violent and often homicidal state occurs whenever the moon is full, or nearly full. The afflicted character will generally behave as one in o maniacal state, with paranoid (q.v.), hallucinatory (q.v.), or homicidal (q.v.) tendencies. When the moon is absent or in its first or last quarters, the afflicted will be melancholiac. At other times, he or she will be relatively normal - perhaps a bit suspicious and irascible.

The Teeth of Dahlver-Nor: If any cleric wos more powerful than the renowned Dahlver-Nor, histories do not tell us. The gods themselves gave special powers to him, and these have passed on to others by means of the great relics of Dahlver-Nor, his teeth. Each of the Teeth has some power, and if one character manages to gain a full quarter, half, or all of them, other grand benefits accrue. In order to gain the power of one of these teeth, however, the character must place it into his or her mouth, where it will graft itself in the place of a like missing tooth. The teeth can never be removed once so emplaced. short of the demise of the possessor.

And, of course...
01-10 Slovenly trull 76-85 Expensive doxy
11-25 Brazen strumpet 86-90 Haughty courtesan
26-35 Cheap trollop 91-92 Aged madam
36-50 TypicaI streetwaIker 93-94 WeaIthy procuress
51 -65 Saucy tart 95-98 Sly pimp
66-75 Wanton wench 99-00 Rich panderer

Sacrosanct

Legend
AD&D has its problems, but why does the first reply have to be one crapping all over the game the OP wants to talk good things about? Just because it doesn't technically have a "+" sign shouldn't be carte blanche to crap all over the OP's desire. Just move on. No one is forcing anyone to post negative things to thread if you disagree.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Jahydin

Hero
I love the crazy detail. Like:
Identify (Divination)
level: I
Range: 0
Duration: I segment/level
Area of Effect: One item
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: I turn
Saving Throw: Special
Explanation/Description: When an identify spell is cost, one item may be touched and handled by the magic-user in order that he or she may possibly find what dweomer it possesses. The item in question must be held or worn as would be normal for any such object, i.e. a bracelet must be placed on the spell caster's wrist, a helm on his or her head, boots on the feet, a cloak worn, a dagger held, and so on. Note that any consequences of this use of the item fall fully upon the magic-user, although any saving throw normally allowed is still the privilege of the magic-user. For each segment the spell is in force, it is 15% + 5% per level of the magic-user probable that 1 property of the object touched can become known - possibly that the item has no properties and is merely a ruse (the presence of Nystul's Magic Aura or a magic mouth being detected). Each time a property can be known, the referee will secretly roll to see if the magic-user made his or her saving throw versus magic. If the save was successful, the property is known; if it is 1 point short, a false power will be revealed; and if it is lower than 1 under the required score no information will be gained. The item will never reveal its exact plusses to hit or its damage bonuses, although the fact that it has few or many such plusses can be discovered. If it has charges, the object will never reveal the exact number, but it will give information which is +/-25% of actual, i.e. a wand with 40 charges could feel as if it had 30, or 50, or any number in between. The item to be identified must be examined by the magic-user within 1 hour per level of experience of the examiner after it has been discovered, or all readable impressions will have been blended into those of the characters who have possessed it since. After casting the spell and determining what can be learned from it, the magic-user loses 8 points of constitution. He or she must rest for 6 turns per 1 point in order to regain them. If the 8 point loss drops the spell caster below a constitution of 3, he or she will fall unconscious, and consciousness will not be regained until full constitution is restored 24 hours later. The material components of this spell are a pearl (of at least 100 g.p. value) and an owl feather steeped in wine, with the infusion drunk and a live miniature carp swallowed whole prior to spell casting. If a luckstone is powdered and added to the infusion, probability increases 25% and all saving throws are made at +4." PH pg 67

MWLewis

Explorer
AD&D has its problems, but why does the first reply have to be one crapping all over the game the OP wants to talk good things about? Just because it doesn't technically have a "+" sign shouldn't be carte blanche to crap all over the OP's desire. Just move on. No one is forcing anyone to post negative things to thread if you disagree.
Thanks for coming to my defense, but I think the second responder deserves the benefit of the doubt. I'm not sure it was meant to crap all over. But I feel you. I'm a Knight of 1e and will defend its honor to the death!

Remove ads