D&D 5E How can i obtain a proficiency in a musical instrument if im not a bard

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
DAYUM!!! Where is "skilled" feat located?

The Player's Handbook, Chapter 6 in the Feats section.

New to 5e. Didnt recognize that as a book name at first. Xanathar right?

@Son of the Serpent Yup, Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

Player's Handbook or DMG have tool training rules as well, but it is a flat 250 gp and 10 weeks. Xanathar's updated it to 25 gp per week and 10 - Int Modifier weeks to learn something. SO there's a reason not to dump Int :)

And remember that customizing backgrounds is a basic allowed thing in the game. You can take any combination of 2 tools (including musical instruments) or languages during character creation.
Woah. Where is that rule? My dm may want to know. Im new to 5e so im just a n00b pc in that edition. He might wanna see that entry. Thats useful.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Woah. Where is that rule? My dm may want to know. Im new to 5e so im just a n00b pc in that edition. He might wanna see that entry. Thats useful.

Basic Rules or Players Handbook both. You can point them to this link:

BlivetWidget

Explorer
It’s in the Basic Rules under Downtime Activities. It takes 250 days and costs 1 gp per day.

Receiving training in a language or tool typically takes at least ten workweeks, but this time is reduced by a number of workweeks equal to the character’s Intelligence modifier (an Intelligence penalty doesn’t increase the time needed). Training costs 25 gp per workweek.

While I'm positive both of you are aware of both rulesets, since @Son of the Serpent professed their newness, I just wanted to let them know that these apparently contradictory references are both correct.

The PHB (player's handbook) and DMG (dungeon master's guide) contain the "first swing" attempts at downtime rules. These rules present options for, but heavily discourage, any kind of crafting or self-improvement. For instance, Training takes 250 days and 250 gold. Crafting magic items requires characters to be of certain levels and takes a long time and a lot of money (a Very Rare item requires an 11th level caster, they must have any spells the item produces, it costs 50k gold, and it takes 2000 days).

Xanathar's Guide to Everything (XGE) game out after the PHB and DMG, and after the game designers recognized that they had perhaps discouraged crafting a bit too much. It contains "revisited" rules for downtime. For instance, Training takes 70 days and 250 gold. Crafting magic items has no level requirements and is easier and less expensive (a Very Rare item has no prerequisites except what the DM injects into their game, it costs 20k gold, and it takes 175 days - yes, go back and look at the original time to complete).

Pretty significant changes. So, just be aware of which ruleset you're playing with.

While I'm positive both of you are aware of both rulesets, since @Son of the Serpent professed their newness, I just wanted to let them know that these apparently contradictory references are both correct.

The PHB (player's handbook) and DMG (dungeon master's guide) contain the "first swing" attempts at downtime rules. These rules present options for, but heavily discourage, any kind of crafting or self-improvement. For instance, Training takes 250 days and 250 gold. Crafting magic items requires characters to be of certain levels and takes a long time and a lot of money (a Very Rare item requires an 11th level caster, they must have any spells the item produces, it costs 50k gold, and it takes 2000 days).

Xanathar's Guide to Everything (XGE) game out after the PHB and DMG, and after the game designers recognized that they had perhaps discouraged crafting a bit too much. It contains "revisited" rules for downtime. For instance, Training takes 70 days and 250 gold. Crafting magic items has no level requirements and is easier and less expensive (a Very Rare item has no prerequisites except what the DM injects into their game, it costs 20k gold, and it takes 175 days - yes, go back and look at the original time to complete).

Pretty significant changes. So, just be aware of which ruleset you're playing with.
Wow. Thats pretty important erratta right there. Thx.

Btw, does the reduction of days needed for training according to int mod still apply?

Remove ads