• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E How did 4e take simulation away from D&D?

eamon

Explorer
Meanwhile, RP is not really system-dependent and 4e provides plenty of scope for that. Nor is either game even remotely close to simulating anything accurately, so it is pointless to say that 4e is totally unrealistic when 3.5 was already totally unrealistic. Whatever their relative positions on that scale is, they are both vanishingly close to the same on that score.
I agree with most of your previous points, but this one I'm not so convinced of. There are degrees of consistency, and 4e is definitely noticeably less concerning with any kind of in-game reality than 3e ever was. And while RP may be system-independent, 4e's black-box ability style discourages thinking out of that box. There's no help in adjudicating odd interactions, no mental model of how something's supposed to work. E.g. spells in 3e were often useful out of combat not merely because that was their intent, but also because their supposed functioning in-game was clear, and thus even if there wasn't an exact match with the normal scenarios (e.g. no enemy), you could reasonable rule on the effects. In 4e, that's harder - not impossible, but harder. If the fluff makes sense, you can actually use that fluff creatively.

In any case, I agree that plot balance is a laudable goal, I just don't think we should look at this as a zero-sum game: 4e's (plot) balance doesn't necessarily imply black-box powers without reasonable fluff nor symmetric class design - yet 4e does suffer from those flaws.

And then there are lots of little design decisions that hurt believability without gaining simplicity or plot balance in return. E.g. the wishlist-based item distribution. The monster design that's dissociated from fluff. Excessive numbers of virtually identical items whose effects are mostly clearly balanced in a meta-game fashion. Effect durations heavily interacting with initiative order. Saves vs. forced movement - but only if into a pit. Lots of interrupting powers - but you can't use em on your turn. You can shift when you stand up, but only if a creature is standing on you. Solos with fundamentally meta-game bonuses. Disregarding size differences.

These facts don't make a game bad, but they do influence what kind of game it is. And 4e tends slightly more towards a game like magic the gathering, or say dominion (my current infatuation :)) - a great, fun pastime, but you play it tactically, with cool combos and neat tricks. You don't use powers when their fluff is thematically appropriate, you use em when they're tactically sensible - usually, anyhow. And because the focus is on the mechanics of powers, the player mindset is less likely to result in creative in-game applications of the PC abilities, and more likely to result in creative tactical applications of the game-mechanical effects.

Last edited:

I agree with most of your previous points, but this one I'm not so convinces of. There are degrees of consistency, and 4e is definitely noticeably less concerning with any kind of in-game reality than 3e ever was. And while RP may be system-independent, 4e's black-box ability style discourages thinking out of that box. There's no help in adjudicating odd interactions, no mental model of how something's supposed to work. E.g. spells in 3e were often useful out of combat not merely because that was their intent, but also because their supposed functioning in-game was clear, and thus even if there wasn't an exact match with the normal scenarios (e.g. no enemy), you could reasonable rule on the effects. In 4e, that's harder - not impossible, but harder. If the fluff makes sense, you can actually use that fluff creatively.

In any case, I agree that plot balance is a laudable goal, I just don't think we should look at this as a zero-sum game: 4e's (plot) balance doesn't necessarily imply black-box powers without reasonable fluff nor symmetric class design - yet 4e does suffer from those flaws.

My experience has been that the simple way unified resolution happens in 4e vs all the highly disparate subsystems in 3.x/d20 actually makes doing things that the rules didn't anticipate a lot easier. Some individual spells are less open-ended, but nothing really implies that is because they can't be adapted by a clever player, particularly when again there is a nice unified resolution system and guidelines for 'stunts' (IE what is the Arcana DC to make my Stinking Cloud flow down the manhole and kill stuff in the sewer below?). This makes it a pretty flexible toolkit and exercising equal creativity with either system will produce similar results.

I don't consider symmetric class design (which really means consistent mechanics) a flaw.

Balesir

Adventurer
First of all XP and level progression are a conceit of the game mechanics used to regulate PC power progression. While it makes sense that it isn't easy to become a high level NPC either nothing requires that NPCs are adventurers and gained their higher level status in the same way PCs do. An NPC evil wizard might simply spend 40 years in his tower studying and experimenting. Said evil wizard could be almost any level.
Right - this is 'solution one' of what I tried when I was trying to get this mix to work. The problem is that it is no longer 'simulationist' precisely because the rules for PCs and the rules for NPCs are now different. And 'studying in a tower' is still a deracinated activity, generally.

Secondly, don't underestimate the power of masses of lower level figures too much. 200 level 1 minions can pump out a LOT of damage in a round and that's kind of the extreme weak end of the range there. Even mid-paragon level figures are hardly immune to being dragged out in the street and killed by an angry mob. Nor does the game world require that such possibilities be strictly governed by mechanics designed for running PC encounters.
200 minions can't all get close enough to attack each round. And, once you make a distinct set of rules so that the rulers can be brought down you have already conceded defeat in building a fully consistent, working world model for the same reason as with the 'studying wizard', above.

Nothing really indicates that the majority of people would WANT to be running things. Again, the evil wizard. His goals don't really require him to be in charge, though he might wield great influence and be able to get his way whenever he really desires it.
So, he's a "power behind the throne" - he still wields the ultimate power. The fact that he leaves the everyday stuff to his pet king doesn't change the reality of the situation - and certainly doesn't mean he can allow upstart bands of "adventurers" to exist unchecked.

Really high level figures are also likely to be rare in most societies. Higher heroic tier figures are probably not unheard of in any given area, but paragon and epic power level NPCs who might wield enough clout to run around with no check on them probably are quite rare and don't exist in most mundane areas of the world.
It seems to me that this depends on how levels are gained. If "studying in a tower for years" is all that is (for NPCs) required, it strikes me there will be many giving it a go - unless our wizard-king-in-all-but-name nips them in the bud.

This was where I started out when I was trying to make a "combination" world, actually. I tried to define a society with levelled individuals in it, sufficient to provide mentors, champions and such but also to be a working, believable society. I came to the conclusion it couldn't be done, really. The best you can achieve is 'smoke and mirrors' to make it seem reasonable, on the surface, and hide the cracks underneath.

Logically where one high level figure can arise so can others. Even if one is clearly stronger than the rest there will be some level of checks and balances. Get too out of line and a bunch of lesser figures may well join forces to put paid to your hypothetical high level tyrant.
Not if you control the means of gaining xp. It works like controlling the means of producing wealth in capitalist/marxist economics.

What if you made a game where levels gave you more links within society?
Quite possible, but not a game I recognise from those I've seen. The critical question then would be "what gives you levels?"

I think roleplaying is about portraying characters in a convincing and immersive way and not about focusing to abstract fashionable terms like "spotlight" or "balancing" or "dps".

So what his this to do with simulation? I think everything. Balancing is anti-simulation and anti-roleplaying. The quest of some for balancing is pure gamistic and metagaming. Unfortunately 4th edition put an emphasis on this anti-roleplaying concept so alot of younger players got spoiled. This unlucky DnD edition damaged the whole hobby genre for a long time.
So you are interested only in one form of roleplaying - this is fine. I wish you happiness pursuing your chosen way, but please don't assume that everyone else shares your exclusive preferences.

eamon

Explorer
My experience has been that the simple way unified resolution happens in 4e vs all the highly disparate subsystems in 3.x/d20 actually makes doing things that the rules didn't anticipate a lot easier. Some individual spells are less open-ended, but nothing really implies that is because they can't be adapted by a clever player, particularly when again there is a nice unified resolution system and guidelines for 'stunts' (IE what is the Arcana DC to make my Stinking Cloud flow down the manhole and kill stuff in the sewer below?). This makes it a pretty flexible toolkit and exercising equal creativity with either system will produce similar results.

Simplicity is good; that's not the problem (in fact, things could probably be simplified even further). The problem is that the game is designed mechanics-first rather than fluff-first. Many powers have fluff that's entirely nonsensical, or have mechanics whereby it's hard to understand what's actually happening in-game. 4e's setup is focused on meta-game mechanics; everything is written in those terms with in-game logic retrospectively bent around it. That makes it hard to think about in-game logic; everyone's so used to thinking in terms of "move actions" or 3[W] attacks with a close burst pulls that that's the terminology you use at the table and in which you think.

Terminology and language impact how we think. Creativity in 4e will naturally work better in 4e-native terms: pulls, pushes, mechanics than it will in in-game logic. I think it'd be best to turn that around. That doesn't mean using more rules or more complex rules; it simply means putting fluff first, and then picking the best approximation thereof within the mechanics. Such a system is of course trickier to balance - but if designed well, that work is mostly done before DMing ever starts. If an in-game ability were too strong, it's best not to include it and pick something else, rather that to just slap that fluff onto mechanics that only vaguely resemble it.

So I don't think this is a question of 3e ("highly disparate subsystems" as you say) vs. 4e (simple), it's about fluff-first vs. mechanics-first.

I don't consider symmetric class design (which really means consistent mechanics) a flaw.
Symmetric design is boring. It's like rock-paper-scissors without the scissors - there aren't any meaninful choices anymore. Sure, you can refluff the rock as a stone (wooo...), but if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck... Classes should be meaningfully different. Sure, symmetry implies balance, but lack of symmetry does not necessarily imply lack of balance. It just takes a bit of actual work, that's all.

As you say, you'd want PC's to have roughly similar plot relevance. But within that constraint, more variety is better. Having all classes all have the same distribution and levelling of attack+utility powers is not a good thing. Having powers closely follow a formulaic power curve is not a good thing. Basically, if I can take one class, make minor changes and slap on a different fluff, I should not be able to arrive at a different class - but that's almost the case in 4e. As you might imagine, I think essentials is step in a the right direction :).

Right - this is 'solution one' of what I tried when I was trying to get this mix to work. The problem is that it is no longer 'simulationist' precisely because the rules for PCs and the rules for NPCs are now different. And 'studying in a tower' is still a deracinated activity, generally.

So, the only way the game can provide any simulation of power gain is by PC-style level advancement through adventuring and all other possibilities can't exist? Sorry, I don't buy that at all. Adventuring and killing stuff is clearly A way to become powerful, that doesn't mean it is the only way. It is the heroic way that is modeled for PCs since studying in a tower all day would probably not make a very exciting game.

200 minions can't all get close enough to attack each round. And, once you make a distinct set of rules so that the rulers can be brought down you have already conceded defeat in building a fully consistent, working world model for the same reason as with the 'studying wizard', above.

Nonsense. 200 minions don't all have to attack at once to win. Nor is allowing for situations that the rules (designed for PC combat vs small numbers of opponents) 'conceding' anything at all. NPC vs NPC has nothing to do with the mechanics anyway, it is purely fluff and the DM can apply any reasoning he wants. I'd also point out there are plenty of mechanics available in the game for modeling different things, page 42, swarms, etc.

So, he's a "power behind the throne" - he still wields the ultimate power. The fact that he leaves the everyday stuff to his pet king doesn't change the reality of the situation - and certainly doesn't mean he can allow upstart bands of "adventurers" to exist unchecked.

Who says he's the power behind anything? He's the crotchety old guy that lives in the tower on the edge of town. Watch out, he's rumored to be able to turn you into a toad if you look at him cross-eyed. Just as in the real world most people aren't that interested in power. They have plenty of other interests. Nothing indicates to me that higher level NPCs would be any more or less interested in running things than any other random person.

It seems to me that this depends on how levels are gained. If "studying in a tower for years" is all that is (for NPCs) required, it strikes me there will be many giving it a go - unless our wizard-king-in-all-but-name nips them in the bud.

Sure, and in your pseudo-medieval society where 100 peasants can grow enough food for 103 people (real world average for manual labor agriculture) there are going to be a lot of opportunities for people to do that.... I don't think it is a problem. Nor is it implied that 'just anyone' could become a high level NPC by those kinds of means. Talent is rare. Opportunity is rarer. It really isn't an issue. As for your 'wizard king' you're the one that insists that every high level NPC is bound and determined to keep everyone else under his booted heel. If you want such a dark and merciless world you can have it, but don't complain that it is impossible for anything else to exist. Why should your NPC wizard give a rat's arse what other people are up to as long as they aren't bothering him? He's got studying to do...

This was where I started out when I was trying to make a "combination" world, actually. I tried to define a society with levelled individuals in it, sufficient to provide mentors, champions and such but also to be a working, believable society. I came to the conclusion it couldn't be done, really. The best you can achieve is 'smoke and mirrors' to make it seem reasonable, on the surface, and hide the cracks underneath.

Not if you control the means of gaining xp. It works like controlling the means of producing wealth in capitalist/marxist economics.

Except it is trivially easy for people to go off and have adventures in a PoL world and there's no reasonable way that anyone is going to monopolize that, it just isn't feasible. Nor does every NPC care to do so. Heck, many of them could be perfectly happy to train others. If you are extra talented and spend the 20 years of hard study, you too might make 10th level. Or you can go loot a dungeon and do it in 3 months...

Quite possible, but not a game I recognise from those I've seen. The critical question then would be "what gives you levels?"

Levels are simply an abstraction of expertise, favor of the gods, access to power, etc. There's no requirement that there be one way only to get them. PCs have one way because that's the way that drives the game forward for the players and gives them a framework for advancement. OTOH if the players say wanted to jump ahead 20 years in the story there's nothing stopping the DM from leveling them up some arbitrary amount and just describing how they spend 20 years honing their skills.

So you are interested only in one form of roleplaying - this is fine. I wish you happiness pursuing your chosen way, but please don't assume that everyone else shares your exclusive preferences.

I think the reason we were all having this little conversation was your insistence that only one kind of world would make sense and work. It wasn't about preferences, it was about a statement you made that the D&D society would be totally different and consist of some kind of tyranny of high level guys that nobody could resist and would kill off all competition. We don't agree that that is the inevitable consequence of levels existing. It is all just wool-gathering anyway.

Simplicity is good; that's not the problem (in fact, things could probably be simplified even further). The problem is that the game is designed mechanics-first rather than fluff-first. Many powers have fluff that's entirely nonsensical, or have mechanics whereby it's hard to understand what's actually happening in-game. 4e's setup is focused on meta-game mechanics; everything is written in those terms with in-game logic retrospectively bent around it. That makes it hard to think about in-game logic; everyone's so used to thinking in terms of "move actions" or 3[W] attacks with a close burst pulls that that's the terminology you use at the table and in which you think.

Terminology and language impact how we think. Creativity in 4e will naturally work better in 4e-native terms: pulls, pushes, mechanics than it will in in-game logic. I think it'd be best to turn that around. That doesn't mean using more rules or more complex rules; it simply means putting fluff first, and then picking the best approximation thereof within the mechanics. Such a system is of course trickier to balance - but if designed well, that work is mostly done before DMing ever starts. If an in-game ability were too strong, it's best not to include it and pick something else, rather that to just slap that fluff onto mechanics that only vaguely resemble it.

So I don't think this is a question of 3e ("highly disparate subsystems" as you say) vs. 4e (simple), it's about fluff-first vs. mechanics-first.

Sure it is. The players in my game really could care less about mechanics, they have a story to participate in. When they want to do something they say "I want to do X" and they do X, and then mechanics come into play. Those could be using a power, a stunt, making a skill check, passing an SC, or whatever. The rules aren't any more dissociated from fluff than you make them be. Nor were the rules for 3.5 particularly adept at this either. All older style spell descriptions did was give casters license to find peculiar off-label uses for their spells, which 4e certainly allows as well with some checks or whatever the DM requires. Works fine.

Symmetric design is boring. It's like rock-paper-scissors without the scissors - there aren't any meaninful choices anymore. Sure, you can refluff the rock as a stone (wooo...), but if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck... Classes should be meaningfully different. Sure, symmetry implies balance, but lack of symmetry does not necessarily imply lack of balance. It just takes a bit of actual work, that's all.

As you say, you'd want PC's to have roughly similar plot relevance. But within that constraint, more variety is better. Having all classes all have the same distribution and levelling of attack+utility powers is not a good thing. Having powers closely follow a formulaic power curve is not a good thing. Basically, if I can take one class, make minor changes and slap on a different fluff, I should not be able to arrive at a different class - but that's almost the case in 4e. As you might imagine, I think essentials is step in a the right direction :).

And here is where we begin to wonder what you have been doing with your 4e? I don't see a lot of ACTUAL PLAY similarity between the wizard and the fighter, sorry. Different power selections, class mechanics, options, etc make for characters with a great deal of variety.

Right now in our group we have the following characters: A dwarf greatweapon fighter, an AoA swordmage, a STR cleric, a BS rogue, a starlock, and an orb wizard. They all play quite differently even though 4 of them are melee combatants. The dwarf wades into battle and ties up 2-3 of the enemy, the swordmage marks and engages annoying individual opponents and sticks to them via her aegis, the cleric does her healing thing and uses buffs and debuffs to weaken the enemy, the BS rogue dances around the edges of the fight avoiding a pounding while picking up CA and gutting enemies. The other 2 PCs meanwhile try to avoid getting into melee and do their stuff. Outside of combat the characters are as different as they want to be.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax

I like what you're saying. I'd like to see a future version where the game design starts with the powers. Weapon attacks, arcane spells, skill powers...a large pool of powers that control all the in-game effects that could exist. Make these powers as fluff-based as possible. Weapon attacks should be strength or dexterity based. Define limitations for what effects arcane or divine or primal can accomplish, and then make powers to support them.

Then build classes around what the classes should be able to accomplish. Design custom powers if needed, but most of their powers should come from the common power pool. Design class features that augment the powers to allow them to fulfill the intended role of the class. (Don't make the 3e mistake of assuming role will simply emerge naturally from archetypal class features!) For example, fighter class features might allow immobilization of adjacent enemies when using a weapon feature. Rogues might add extra damage to weapon powers with light weapons.

I agree with most of your previous points, but this one I'm not so convinced of. There are degrees of consistency, and 4e is definitely noticeably less concerning with any kind of in-game reality than 3e ever was. And while RP may be system-independent, 4e's black-box ability style discourages thinking out of that box.

This is highly DM-dependent. And if the DM wants to encourage thinking outside the box, the guidance and support given to DMs in 4e kicks that given in 3e up one side and down the other while keeping its hands behind its back.

There's no help in adjudicating odd interactions,

page 42.

no mental model of how something's supposed to work.

That depends how good you are at visualising powers. There's a huge mental model there of what's actually going on if you think the right way.

E.g. spells in 3e were often useful out of combat not merely because that was their intent, but also because their supposed functioning in-game was clear, and thus even if there wasn't an exact match with the normal scenarios (e.g. no enemy), you could reasonable rule on the effects. In 4e, that's harder - not impossible, but harder. If the fluff makes sense, you can actually use that fluff creatively.

And if you actually understand 4e, 4e has an incredibly strong and useful interlinking of fluff with rules.

In any case, I agree that plot balance is a laudable goal, I just don't think we should look at this as a zero-sum game: 4e's (plot) balance doesn't necessarily imply black-box powers without reasonable fluff

Is this going to be another discussion of Come And Get It? Because almost all the powers do have reasonable fluff backing them. And I fluff my own as well.

nor symmetric class design - yet 4e does suffer from those flaws.

Symmetric class design has been heavily weakened by Essentials.

And then there are lots of little design decisions that hurt believability without gaining simplicity or plot balance in return. E.g. the wishlist-based item distribution.

What that gained was an easier job for the DM.

The monster design that's dissociated from fluff.

You mean the effects based monster design that allows my dragons to behave like giant fire-breathing reptiles (or whatever breath weapon...) and not like spellcasters with wings and scales if I want to play them effectively? I'd say that's a better representation of the fluff than 3e ever was. It's just effects based rather than simulationist - meaning that what matters is that the monsters "play right" and behave the way they do in fluff, as they generally do. And I will say that monster design has got a lot better over time - Monster Vault is a massive improvement over the MM1 despite a huge overlap in terms of monsters covered.

Saves vs. forced movement - but only if into a pit.

The save also makes you fall prone. The assumption being that under almost all circumstances prone is worse than slid. It's the "clinging on by your fingertips" save.

Lots of interrupting powers - but you can't use em on your turn.

If you want to trade your standard in for an interrupt, I'd let you. It's like the "Throwing yourself prone to avoid forced movement into normal terrain" - almost always sub-optimal enough that it's not presented to avoid analysis paralysis.

You can shift when you stand up, but only if a creature is standing on you.

Using the monster's bulk as cover rather than simply writhing on the ground making a target of yourself. A decent fudge.

Solos with fundamentally meta-game bonuses.

Explain.

Disregarding size differences.

You mean on pushes?

These facts don't make a game bad, but they do influence what kind of game it is. And 4e tends slightly more towards a game like magic the gathering, or say dominion (my current infatuation :)) - a great, fun pastime, but you play it tactically, with cool combos and neat tricks.

I also find it better for RP than 3.X because there isn't the "Get a bigger hammer" syndrome. The answer to situations is think them through and solve them in character and in the world - not track down which spell in your spellbook was designed for this circumstance.

You don't use powers when their fluff is thematically appropriate, you use em when they're tactically sensible - usually, anyhow.

The art of power design - and something that Wizards normally succeeds at - is making sure that when a power is thematically appropriate it is tactically sensible and vise-versa. If this doesn't happen then the power is badly designed.

and because the focus is on the mechanics of powers, the player mindset is less likely to result in creative in-game applications of the PC abilities, and more likely to result in creative tactical applications of the game-mechanical effects.

And while on the subject
Symmetric design is boring. It's like rock-paper-scissors without the scissors - there aren't any meaninful choices anymore. ... Classes should be meaningfully different.

And you've just confirmed that you really don't have good experience with 4e. You might as well say that D20 took away all meaningful difference because everything is resolved on a D20 rather than percentile dice. My most recent three active characters are a Wizard, a Monk, and a Bravura Warlord - and they are incredibly different from each other.

The monk is what the 3.X monk dreams of being but never quite succeeded at. A complete wire-fu master, backflipping all over the place and booting people in the head or sweeping their legs out from under them with his staff. Blink and he's darted half way across the battlefield, even to places you never thought he could reach on foot. Alternatively he runs across rooftops like a Parkour expert or sticks to the shadows like the best of thieves and can sometimes almost fly up walls.

The wizard is a wizard. Summons storm pillars and minature tornados to clog up the battlefield (or intimidate), and has some illusions and some hypnotic tricks. Magical, squishy, and effective if no one gets to him. He's every bit as magical as any 3.X wizard, whether or not there's Vancian casting involved. Out of combat he's a low level illusionist (he's only level 3) and an effective loremaster.

The warlord ... is Leonidas. Other than that he wears sane armour rather than fights bare chested. He's a master of the battlefield, leading from the front to smash the enemy lines and bowl them over while looking out for his allies and either inspiring them to keep going or warning them of what's coming. His approach can be summed up as "Who Dares Wins" (although he's tactically ruthless in addition to this) and he's an expert at tempting his enemies by giving them half an opening at the right moment that if they take it it gives his allies an opening of their own. Out of combat he's alert, perceptive, and everything you'd expect from someone who leads from the front.

In each case the playstyle is completely different and the experience of playing them is very very distinct. And the rules support and encourage this distinctiveness. I therefore reject your implication that symmetric design implies that classes aren't meaningfully different.

In short, everything you've just said tells me that you simply don't get 4e. And given the lack of help in the PHB I don't blame you. But your criticisms show problems with the presentation rather than the system.

eamon

Explorer
It's very hard to make a case for where 4e could be improved into a system that's more fun when any criticism is turned aside and assumed to be praise for 3e (despite my explicit exhortations to the contrary).

Nor were the rules for 3.5 particularly adept at this either. All older style spell descriptions did was give casters license to find peculiar off-label uses for their spells, which 4e certainly allows as well with some checks or whatever the DM requires. Works fine.
Being only slightly worse than 3.5 is not exactly high praise in my book. The fact that fluff is largely meaningless means that this is indeed harder than necessary in 4e: there's precisely zero help from the system.

And here is where we begin to wonder what you have been doing with your 4e? I don't see a lot of ACTUAL PLAY similarity between the wizard and the fighter, sorry. Different power selections, class mechanics, options, etc make for characters with a great deal of variety.
The characters are mechanically varied, and this results in a fun tactical game. But there's nothing there beyond the mechanics. If you're doing a close burst 1 that does damage and pushes 1, it doesn't matter how you do so - so much so that a power name is just some meaningless label to attach to a tactically interesting option.

People aren't fireballing, they're doing an area burst attack that does damage. Anybodies area burst attack will work almost the same; the powers are anodyne. Almost all effects come from the standard shortlist and have a standard duration. It doesn't matter what a power does it only matters what it's effects are... So people ignore the fluff and end up focusing on the mechanics - bar the occasion descriptive outburst that less a sign of immersion and more simply a fun flourish. Simple rules can have complex tactical games - witness go, or chess - so this limitation doesn't make gameplay uninteresting. I just don't think it's conducive to immersion. Fun - yes! But not immersive.

If you really want to, you don't have to ignore the fluff. But 4e doesn't acctually support that. If you strongly interact with the fluff - great! That's a sign of a great group, not a sign of a great system.

They all play quite differently even though 4 of them are melee combatants.
Right, that's actually a strength 4e: tactically it's rich. To reiterate; a tactical minis game is great fun. I'm not saying 4e is bad! I'm just saying it's not very immersive. And I'm not saying 3.5 was better, it's just a handy yardstick to compare with because there are specific aspects that worked better in 3e.

This is highly DM-dependent. And if the DM wants to encourage thinking outside the box, the guidance and support given to DMs in 4e kicks that given in 3e up one side and down the other while keeping its hands behind its back.
Uhm, not in any way whatsoever. I don't see where you're getting this; 4e gives virtually no support whatsoever. It gives you encouragement saying: try this! Then it leaves the DM completely in the dark, pretty much without any further hints... There's a big difference between metagame game (of which there's lots) and in-game help. I'd like more of the latter, I've got enough of the former.

That depends how good you are at visualising powers. There's a huge mental model there of what's actually going on if you think the right way.
i.e. there's no help whatsoever. If you do everything yourself excellently, then it works - well, great, but I want a game system so I don't need to run a freeform game.

Is this going to be another discussion of Come And Get It? Because almost all the powers do have reasonable fluff backing them. And I fluff my own as well.
Pretty much every power in the game. The very notion of marking (with which I have no problem in principle), to start with: where's the reasonable explanation? There never is any, just a bit of flavor.

Symmetric class design has been heavily weakened by Essentials.
Yeah, that is great :). More!

What that gained was an easier job for the DM.
Hmm, no, the wishlist based system (if that's what you were referring to) or the death-by-a-thousand-cuts in general makes things easier for the game designer. It makes things harder for the DM. Now I need to both explain away wishlists and actually pick items (work and work), or in general expend more effort linking in-game to meta-game than if the system had done some of that for me.

(Incidentally, the item-thingo is a pet peeve of mine; see sig).

Anyhow... this is becoming pointless. I'm trying to identify ways in which 4e can be improved upon. I don't want an edition war, and I don't want to go back to 3e. I just want improvement. And why not?

Being only slightly worse than 3.5 is not exactly high praise in my book. The fact that fluff is largely meaningless means that this is indeed harder than necessary in 4e: there's precisely zero help from the system.

There's a vast amount of help from the system. 4e tells me how different PCs move. How fast, how carefully. It tells me what they do when their backs are agaisnt the wall.

The characters are mechanically varied, and this results in a fun tactical game. But there's nothing there beyond the mechanics.

If you think knowing how people think, move, and behave

If you're doing a close burst 1 that does damage and pushes 1, it doesn't matter how you do so - so much so that a power name is just some meaningless label to attach to a tactically interesting option.

You haven't even begun to tell me what's going on. With a weapon or with a spell? Against what stat? What damage type? Close burst 1 vs fortitude, d6 + int mod thunder damage is very different from Close Burst 1 vs Will, d6 psychic damage and target gets -2 to attack rolls until EoNT is different from Requirement: Must be wielding a shield, close Burst 1 Weapon vs Reflex, Str mod damage.

If you cut off the details about how, no wonder you complain you can't find the details about how.

People aren't fireballing, they're doing an area burst attack that does damage.

Which, other than the square fireball issue, is exactly what a fireball is.

Anybodies area burst attack will work almost the same; the powers are anodyne.

You'd rather have every different spell having a completely different subsystem? Ewwww!

Almost all effects come from the standard shortlist and have a standard duration.

Of course. Almost all attack powers last a few seconds and do damage. The whole point of a decent system is so we can get the looking all this up out of the way and get back to what's going on.

It doesn't matter what a power does it only matters what it's effects are...

Its effects are the best mechanical representation the designers can come up with for what it does. You have just said "It doesn't matter what a power does it only mattes what it actually does." Right.

So people ignore the fluff and end up focusing on the mechanics - bar the occasion descriptive outburst that less a sign of immersion and more simply a fun flourish.

Depends on the group. It's loose enough that I've seen both.

Simple rules can have complex tactical games - witness go, or chess - so this limitation doesn't make gameplay uninteresting. I just don't think it's conducive to immersion. Fun - yes! But not immersive.

I've never found simulation was conducive to immersion either.

Uhm, not in any way whatsoever. I don't see where you're getting this; 4e gives virtually no support whatsoever. It gives you encouragement saying: try this!

It gives you encouragement saying "Try this! Here's what will work effectively. And don't sweat the small stuff."

To me there are two things that shatter immersion. The first is the results feeling utterly wrong. The second is the game bogging down while the DM tries to work out what to do - I don't care from either side of the screen if the result was eyeballed or gained through calculus as long as it feels right. Which means 4e gives me exactly what I want with very little getting in the way.

Then it leaves the DM completely in the dark, pretty much without any further hints... There's a big difference between metagame game (of which there's lots) and in-game help. I'd like more of the latter, I've got enough of the former.

I prefer to be told what will work. I know GURPS well. And much prefer the 4e end of the spectrum - where the advice is "Eyeball it and here are some good guidelines."

i.e. there's no help whatsoever.

I'd have said just the right amount of help. The help to make it feel right without giving things for me to trip up on.

If you do everything yourself excellently, then it works - well, great, but I want a game system so I don't need to run a freeform game.

But I'm not running freeform. I'm just not running simulationist.

Anyhow... this is becoming pointless. I'm trying to identify ways in which 4e can be improved upon. I don't want an edition war, and I don't want to go back to 3e. I just want improvement. And why not?

And almost everything you've identified would in my opinion make 4e worse.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads