• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E How do you feel about 4E right *now*? (week of 1/21/08)

How do you rate 4E based on what we know at this time?

• Thumbs up?

Votes: 406 70.2%
  • Thumbs down?

Votes: 172 29.8%

Brother MacLaren said:
I actually really like the idea of PoL, especially the way that PC screw-ups carry the risk of extinguishing a point of light. Enemies tracking you back to your safe haven? Uh-oh. And I've always liked the idea of PCs having a real impact on the campaign world from a relatively low level (one reason I never got into FR). I'm more of a "referee" style of DM than "storyteller," and I like "sandbox" games, so I like PCs having "narrative power" in terms of where the story goes. On the other hand, I think it's really the DM's job to interpret the rules and define the mechanics. Does that make sense?
I think it does, at least I detect no obvious contradiction. (In this post itself. I am not sure how - or if at all - the rules changes of 4E affect these things much.)

xechnao

First Post
While I certainly like the idea of a more tactically balanced combat system, I do not like it being restricted to game support that is based on the collectable game idea.

If 4e is not about tools that help you model a game the way you want it to be without having to search "data libraries" to pick up a pre-made fix for your needs then I will be disapointed.

EDIT: meant the opposite of what I wrote before in 2nd part-now corrected.

Last edited:

dmchucky

First Post
And we have a winner...

Sammael said:
I think the poll results are skewed because a lot of anti-4E people don't bother coming here anymore.

All I can say is: BINGO

Here, everytime someone tries to explain why they are voting thumbs down; they get attacked and have their reasoning questioned. Don't see that happening to the pro-4th Ed people. That's why I spend 95% of my messageboard surfing over at Paizo.

By the way, my vote is 2 really, really big thumbs down. I'd explain why, but why give anyone any more fuel to flame me with?

Rechan

Adventurer
But if we put it on the general forum, we'd also be getting a lot of people who haven't been looking at the recent updates, and have an informed opinion.

If you're in the 4e forums, you at least see and hear all the new updates coming down the pike, and can fully grasp it by conversing with others here.

If you're just sitting in the general forum because you don't come here anymore, then the new information isn't effecting things. I thought part of this poll's purpose was to see "So, what do you think NOW?"

Lizard

Explorer
Rechan said:
I thought part of this poll's purpose was to see "So, what do you think NOW?"

I dislike it less than I did a month ago.

Who knows? In six months, I might like it.

Generally, real hard crunch makes me more interested; pointless fluff and "Ooooh look how cool!" makes me less interested.

The Little Raven

First Post
dmchucky said:
Here, everytime someone tries to explain why they are voting thumbs down; they get attacked and have their reasoning questioned. Don't see that happening to the pro-4th Ed people.

This is a bald-face lie, because the moderators get on anyone who crosses the line, regardless of opinion. The reason anti-4e people often get questioned? Because their statements are often littered with insults directed towards pro-4e people, like suggesting they're all ADHD-afflicted 13-year-old kids. Yeah, we tend to get a little hostile when we're actively insulted by people who perceived different tastes as a reason to insult those that don't agree with them.

That's why I spend 95% of my messageboard surfing over at Paizo.

The Paizo boards are poison, just like the Dragonfoot boards.

thumbs up.

Reason: Its still DnD (high fantasy, easy mechanics), most problems of 3.x are adressed (we don´t know if it will work out better than 3.x, but we know the designers tried to do their best)

Agamon

Adventurer
dmchucky said:
All I can say is: BINGO

Here, everytime someone tries to explain why they are voting thumbs down; they get attacked and have their reasoning questioned. Don't see that happening to the pro-4th Ed people. That's why I spend 95% of my messageboard surfing over at Paizo.

Like I explained at Paizo, these messageboard polls are meaningless. Fun, maybe, but they don't really mean squat.

I was fairly amused that because the anti-4E posters outnumbered the pro-4E posters on a poll at Paizo, people were posting that maybe WotC would reconsider or that 4E was obviously going to fail. lol

Remove ads