D&D 4E How do you feel about 4E right *now*? (week of 1/21/08)

How do you rate 4E based on what we know at this time?

• Thumbs up?

Votes: 406 70.2%
  • Thumbs down?

Votes: 172 29.8%

Warbringer

Explorer
jeffh said:
Nowhere near enough options. I can't stand it when people ask me a question whose real answer is very complicated and nuanced and then expect me to respond with a simple "yes" or "no" (or the equivalent).

Then skip the thread... sheesh

Cevalic

First Post
RyukenAngel said:
Most definitely thumbs up.

More options and customization than the last edition's core, unified mechanical progression (no more learning different rule-sets for playing a Wizard, Fighter, Psion, and "Warblades"), improved, condensed, and simplified mechanics, and flavor that makes a lot more sense to me (on the whole). I am all over 4e.

I'm a little confused about what you mean by differnt rule sets between classes. What rules differ for them?

As far as 4th edition goes Id throw my vote towards the downside. I dont see why they need to change some of the iconic monsters. It seems like they just want to put their own stamp on D&D, to point out what they did. All the talk about simplifying the game also seems unneeded. Its not THAT complex. Some people talk about it like theyre trying to decipher another lanquage. If you have that much trouble with 3.5, maybe the game just isnt your thing.

That said, some of the changes seem ok. But on a whole, I just throw my thumb down.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Right now, I would give it a thumb just a little up from neutral. Many of what I would call "isolated" changes we have heard about I like. These changes are mechanics that stand by themselves; things like the idea of attack rolls versus defenses instead of saving throws.

Where I still have concerns is with some of the changes that we don't know enough to fit it into the bigger picture. Reduced vancian magic sounds good, but until we really see how the at will/per encounter/per day spell powers work in the entire context of the game, I'm unsure of what to think.

delericho

Legend
It's a very complex question.

Initially, I was really hopeful for 4e. Since then, Wizards marketing has managed to shift me into the "thumbs down" camp.

And yet, I remain hopeful that they'll pull it off. Hopefully, it's just their marketing campaign that is bad.

Still, right now, I have to say "thumbs down".

Leugren

First Post
Two thumbs way up. They're addressing so many of my frustrations with 3E, it's as though they were channeling my soul! I am all about game balance and smooth game mechanics that lighten my load as a DM while increasing the overall level of fun for everyone involved.

architect.zero

First Post
Weak thumbs up.

I'm staying optimistic about the final product and I'm not ready to pass any sort of judgment until more is known - say, when the PH is finally released.

I think they've got their heads and hearts in the right place, but the jury is still out on what they actually deliver, until it is delivered.

Remove ads