• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you feel about PC abilities being nerfed by the DM?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I dunno - most of what I do as a DM is fun, not really work. It's a different kind of fun than being a player, but it's still fun.

(Now if you want to make the argument that being the DM is more anxiety inducing than being a player I'd get on board. Being the constant center of attention is definitely more stressful than being one member of a troupe that rotates who has focus. But I'd classify that as different from work.)
I have fun DMing too. For me, worldbuilding is the most fun. Creating a fun place for the players to run around in is the best part of DMing.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Haven't you been following on here how awful so many DMs are and how hard players need to watch them like a hawk?? Maybe they're nerfing, or railroading, or TPKing, or fudging, or trying to use magic items like a club, or complaining about super heroes, or using charm spells, or trying to have gods or patrons exercise control -- it's exhausting!!

;-)

Edit: Or removing race choices for no reason, or removing class choices for no reason, or saving the party from TPKs, or acting like they get to assign who brings what snack, the list is endless!!!
The nerve of some players using magical clubs. Who in their right mind does this!? Everyone knows that magical swords are the way to go.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Creating a fun place for the players to run around in is the best part of DMing.
For me it's being at the table actually running the game. Most of what I do is improvisational and collaborative these days - the world building takes place as much at the table as it does between sessions.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
For me it's being at the table actually running the game. Most of what I do is improvisational and collaborative these days - the world building takes place as much at the table as it does between sessions.
I'm glad you enjoy that. It is nearly the opposite of what I prefer. The players contribute ideas for the world before play, or in areas that aren't covered yet. After that, impact is mostly on player action.

Joshy

Explorer
I'm fine with it if I'm given the details of the changes before the start of the game. If the GM feels the need to change something on a character that is already built. I would prefer the GM and the player discuss it before hand and make sure it's something the GM can't work around.

Stalker0

Legend
I don't think it's so much harder that it serves as an excuse for all the shenanigans it's used to excuse.
Ah, so you agree with the premise (that DMing is harder), but don't believe that can be used as a justification for DM game alterations such as being discussed here.

A perfectly fine position, but I would respectfully advise in the future using a few more words than "nope" to describe your position, as the single word in this case did not do well to articulate your position.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Haven't you been following on here how awful so many DMs are and how hard players need to watch them like a hawk?? Maybe they're nerfing, or railroading, or TPKing, or fudging, or trying to use magic items like a club, or complaining about super heroes, or using charm spells, or trying to have gods or patrons exercise control -- it's exhausting!!

;-)

Edit: Or removing race choices for no reason, or removing class choices for no reason, or saving the party from TPKs, or acting like they get to assign who brings what snack, the list is endless!!!
Yep. The players all voted and it was unanimous: the DM is responsible for everyone else's fun. Heck, the only reason the DM is even invited to the game is for entertainment! So if anything at all is interfering with your enjoyment, or if your DM starts pratting on about how they are "supposed to enjoy the game too" or whatever, you need a better DM.

Follow me for more D&D Gaming Tips!

No amount of power can ever threaten my game, but I am sensitive to other players feeling left behind or like their niche is not being protected. If it happens, it usually prompts a period of analysis and then a conversation with one of my players.

Thankfully I've got awesome players now who barely even care about niche protection, agency, or Jane doing 30 more damage than Lezlie.

But before that, those conversations usually resulted in buffs. Not nerfs. Which did sometimes result in squeaky wheel syndrome, but enough squeaking usually meant this was not the right table for them. Not that they were right or wrong, but just that it was a mismatch.

Remove ads