D&D 5E How do you feel about PC abilities being nerfed by the DM?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Last week, one of my fellow players decided to DM Candlekeep. I rolled up a circle of the moon druid and sent him the character sheet. A couple of days later, he sends me a text claiming that the Moon druid's wild shape to too powerful, and he wanted me to use an alternate table he found on the Internet. I was a little disappointed, but I understood his concern and appreciated that he told me before the game started. I suggested that he buff the monsters instead, but he didn't like that idea.

So, as a DM, do you/would you nerf a players RAW abilities? As a player, would you mind?

I
I can understand his hesitancy , moon druid looks like an incredible powerhouse at level 2 & 4 when it's rocking a cr1 bear but that power doesn't keep up as everyone else gets things like extra attack & fireball at level 5 when the moon druid is burning all their spell slots to recover all of the damage they take rather than relying on things like everything beyond zero going away & healing word to pop back up with 1d4+1hp.

What's the alternate table?

Fanaelialae

Legend
I'm fine with it, but I think any changes ought to be presented to the players up front, before character creation. Letting a player do all the work to create a character and then nerfing them is a no go, IMO. You're putting them in the position where they may have to suck it up and play a character they no longer want to play, or have to create a new character.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm okay with character choice nerfs during pitch / session 0 for thematic or game-play reasons. For example, "In Dark Sun, any arcane caster is going to be looked on with fear and revulsion if found out, and casting normally will 'defile' and you will need to spend character resources not to kill plants and life around you." I would be perfectly fine with. Or "I don't have a high pace of encounters per day, I'm running gritty rest variant so you'll basically only have a long rest between adventures." A-Ok to me, gives me something outside normal parameters which is fun.

When you get DMs saying " Way of the Four Elements Monk is OP, I'm adding two to all of the Ki costs" - as long as I know ahead of time I can just avoid the DM's pet peeves.

I play with a great DM but he likes to keep time pressure going so one the action starts there's very rarely a chance to have a short rest. It's "end of long rest -> all action -> short rest -> long rest". So classes like the Warlock or Monk or to a lesser degree Bards and some Fighters don't get recharges mid-action. It's just how he likes to run it, but it nerfs those classes compared to others.

(And just to finish the story, I talked to him about it like a human being, gave examples from the last few sessions, he said he'd think about it, followed up with him a few months later and we went through the sessions since where the same thing was happening, and he admitted he saw the pattern, but he like the pacing so instead changed short rest to 5 minutes but maximum twice a day per character which was an acceptable compromise.)

What I can't stand is knee-jerk reactions that lead to mid-session nerfs. I don't particularly like well thought out nerfs to existing characters that are discussed calmly between sessions, but since I've offered to "de-tune" an overly optimized character in 3.x to match the group optimization more than once, I understand that it can happen mid-campaign. But just breaking it out in the middle of a session that your character doesn't work like "that" anymore would really annoy me, even if it wasn't my character.

This case of "moon druid is OP, here's an alternate you can use" presented befroe start I wouldn't really have a problem with it. If we had done a Session 0, I mentioned Moon Druid then and the DM was quiet, and other people were making characters assuming I was making that moon druid I would feel annoyed they hadn't told me sooner, but still okay with it. (And as a personal side note, Moon Druid rocks at 2nd, but then drifts back into the pack and is reasonable.)

Yaarel

He Mage
It happens that a DM sometimes needs to recalibrate balance in the middle of a game.

But to take away what a player character already has, that the player clearly likes, is a serious mistake. The DM will ruin the game and sometimes strain the friendship.

The DM has no choice but to find an other solution, or just let the imbalance persist.

Maybe the player will recognize the problem later.

Remove ads