• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Do You Feel About Published Adventures as a GM?

When I use published material, it is to provide a base and then I generally merge it with my own ideas, online ideas and further published material to provide my ideal version of a sandbox for a campaign.
(Our ToD campaign has merged with 5 other AP's, 3 stand-alone modules, 2 Adventure Leagues, 3 fan-made AP Guides, 2 DMsGuild modules, half-a-dozen fan-made AP encounters, online ideas sourced from the net and my own ideas.)

I find much published material to be unfinished & unpolished (and at times just lazy), but there is enough community made content to really bring the material to life.
Lazy in that WotC released ToD twice now over and did little to nothing to improve on it, meanwhile PAIZO's Kingmaker was updated for PF2 and they did put in the necessary work to make it even better.

Though when I look back though during my time when I was creating my own material solely, which was some time ago, I'm amazed at my own creativity. I think that is because in that state one is building something from nothing, as opposed to enhancing something that already exists.

Last edited:

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
I could also rant about how the set up in one of them (cough*Tomb of Annihilation*cough) is explicitly set up with an actual time limit, i.e. Do The Thing or Everyone* DIES OR WORSE, yet the adventure is written like a sandbox.

Well, my group, and they can't have been the only group, took that time limit SERIOUSLY. They ignored EVERYTHING that they thought was not pertinent to their goal. What a terrible, awful, ill-considered premise for a sandbox adventure. A "But Thou Must" Time Limit?

Had I studied the book like a college course, I might have thrown that premise out entirely (and many of the "How to run TOA" blogs/articles I've read since it came out suggest doing just that). But, I've ranted about that on my own blog at length.

* Not literally everyone, but a lot of folks
This is something I've noticed. A lot of people complained about this with Baldur's Gate 3 as well. The beginning of the game makes it seem like you're on a two or three day clock. I was afraid to take a long rest for the longest time because I was worried about it, only to find out I was missing cutscenes now.

It makes sense to put some sort of time limit on your players. It helps to create drama. At the same time though, it's hard to convey to the players that "Hey.. This thing is important, but it's not that important."

I think the lesson I've taken from this is that clocks/time constraints are good, but you should stick to smaller ones. Like in a combat encounter. "If you don't stop this guy from reaching the shrine and finishing the ritual in 3 turns he'll summon a demon that will make this fight harder"
If you're sick and tired of low quality adventures, turn to ENpublishing for your adventure needs!

The same people who brought you the best TYRPG forum in the world also make adventures for the world's oldest role-playing game!
Do you have any you'd recommend? The only ENpublishing product I've purchased thus far is the Monster Menagerie and I'm pretty happy with it.. So I'd be willing to pick up another product.

TiQuinn

Anyway, enough about me. How do you feel about published/pre-written adventures? Do you run them as is? Strip them for parts? Don't even consider them? When you run an adventure of your own design, do you "write it" before play? If you do use pre-written adventures, what kind of "prep" do you do with them?

Run them. Strip for parts when I can’t use the whole. Read them for fun and stick them on a shelf never to be run. Love them, love them, love them.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
It comes back to my suspicion. A lot of homebrew is a few cursory notes and then winging it. Monster stats, NPC spells, room descriptions etc. I don’t want that from a DM and I won’t do it as a DM.
I'm not sure it is reasonable to demand your DM do a bunch of extra work you may not even notice.

TheSword

Legend
I'm not sure it is reasonable to demand your DM do a bunch of extra work you may not even notice.
It’s all voluntary. My DM does the work. Reads the books and puts the effort in to tailor them to our style. I do the same in return. If I couldn’t put the time in to either read the adventure or do the prep, I wouldn’t DM.

Though that’s just my preference. I’m sure there are players out there that like an improvised approach or have little choice over DMs. I’m just lucky that I have access to the kind of DM and players that enjoy similar things. If I didn’t, I probably wouldn’t be so active in TTRPG. I’d be playing golf or hiking or doing some other fulfilling activity.

Currently sitting on a sun lounger in Crete reading part four of the Enemy Within campaign and sipping a piña colada. Closest thing to heaven on this earth I reckon.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
It’s all voluntary. My DM does the work. Reads the books and puts the effort in to tailor them to our style. I do the same in return. If I couldn’t put the time in to either read the adventure or do the prep, I wouldn’t DM.

Though that’s just my preference. I’m sure there are players out there that like an improvised approach or have little choice over DMs. I’m just lucky that I have access to the kind of DM and players that enjoy similar things. If I didn’t, I probably wouldn’t be so active in TTRPG. I’d be playing golf or hiking or doing some other fulfilling activity.

Currently sitting on a sun lounger in Crete reading part four of the Enemy Within campaign and sipping a piña colada. Closest thing to heaven on this earth I reckon.
What I am saying is that if the GM is good at improv, you wouldn't notice in the first place. The GM bears no responsibility to prep the way you think they should; their only responsibility (such that it is) is to run a decent game.

Celebrim

Legend
It comes back to my suspicion. A lot of homebrew is a few cursory notes and then winging it. Monster stats, NPC spells, room descriptions etc. I don’t want that from a DM and I won’t do it as a DM.

I have pretty high standards as a player and a DM regarding how a game is supposed to play. Every game involves improvisation and being good at improv is an important GMing skill. But if I find a GM is winging it I'm likely to politely excuse myself from the game and not ever return. When I'm doing improv, I'm doing because I'm reduced to a few cursory notes about the campaign setting. Most of the time, I have more than cursory notes for my homebrew adventures.

I have never met a GM that is as good as improv as they think that they are. There is a noticeable difference in the richness of a game when it is well prepared versus when it is improvised. Maps are more complicated. Scenes have more detail. Lore is richer and more important and more internally consistent. The story twists are more literary and better foreshadowed. Investigations yield more useful and logical clues. Even when you jump the rails, the game universe stays more grounded because the GM has prepared to improvise by establishing truths about the demographics, the setting, and what the resources the factions have and what they want.

For a while there in TV shows about 20 years ago the thing everyone was doing was improvising the plot of shows by introducing these "mystery boxes" where even the writer didn't have a clue what was going on. This technique was probably popularized by the X-Files where the shows generally disconnected episodic stories were implied to be part of some larger mysterious connected narrative through the dropping of scenes into the epilogue of the episode where mysterious figures said mysterious things. It was always implied that "The Truth was Out There". Of course, with no coherent idea what the truth was, that truth was never satisfyingly revealed because well, it never existed in the first place. The peak of this was the "Bad Robot" school of storytelling, formalized as an approach by J.J. Abrams, and seen in shows like Alias and Lost, and shows attempting to compete with viewership with those shows like The 4400 and Heroes.

What's notable about those shows is that they start well and then flop because the payoff they promise isn't there. They can't actually deliver on their promises using an entirely improved story. It's worth noting how good the first arc of Heroes is because it actually can deliver on "Save the Cheerleader; save the world" to a decent degree, and maybe it's unfair to Heroes because maybe the original writers knew the story before the writer's strike derailed it. But it's worth noting just how bad those shows end up being when you don't have that coherent story from the beginning, compared to things like Babylon 5 or the Harry Potter series where the author had worked out ahead of time what the story was and were improvising within that framework. In fact JMS often talks about how he'd plotted forks in the story for every character knowing that if he tried to film a coherent story for 4-5 years real life would cause actors to not be available for the whole period. Or you hear about Tolkien writing LotR like he was a GM, making maps and moving markers on them and making timelines with dates so that he can coherently track where everyone is at any point in the story.

And that sets my standard for an RPG. You can't get with improv alone where I want RPGs to get. Improv is necessary and GMs that are good at it are good at it because they are so deeply familiar with the material and so experienced telling stories in the setting. But you'll never get there with improv alone.

One of the reasons I so like Seth Skorkowsky as a reviewer is that I recognize in him a fellow GM that is putting in the work to run good games. He takes a 32 page module and says, "Ok, what do I need to run this that didn't make the page count", and then he makes it and tells you why he made it and why it improved the game from a working GMs perspective of running games that feel immersive and will tend to be exciting. That is the way.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
First of all, sorry for the long post, but. . . .

I love published adventures and about 85% of what I run is based on published adventures. The problem with them is when you try to run them so-called "as written," as opposed to taking the time to adapt them to your specific setting and group of players (and your own style). I like to mix and match, hack 'em apart, and run them over and over when I can.

Some caveats
  • I am talking about D&D here - I think one of the reasons I haven't run other games as much is because of lack of module support (my most success is with superhero games and I know comics well enough that I find that easier to improvise.
  • I don't run them as in "this is the module we are doing next," but as just things that happen in the game. Players may not even know they are "in a module."
  • Using published modules doesn't really save me all that much prep time (some but not close to half), it just makes me spend that time in different ways. I have often said when writing (non-RPG stuff) that I hate writing but I love re-writing. Published adventures are perfect for that preference because they are already written! All I have to do is re-write.
  • I prefer older edition modules and adventures. For modules I almost exclusively use 1E and BECMI folio type and for adventures I use Dungeon Magazine from the 1E/2E/BECMI era and adapt them. That is not to say I would not use a 3E or 5E adventure, I just haven't much.
  • I need the foundation of a published adventure even if ultimately I have to ignore it all because the PCs make choices that it cannot account for. That's fine, that's what the DM is for. That foundation is still a guideline for what might happen. Example, I am currently running a highly adapted version of Temple of Elemental Evil. The party is nearly 4th level and hasn't even gone to the Moathouse yet! So I am working out what the evil forces there might do sans any adventurer intervention. This would be harder to do (for me) without having a sense of who and what they are from the published work.
  • This doesn't mean I don't ever write adventures from scratch. I used to do it a lot more (7 of 16 adventures I ran for my "Out of the Frying Pan" campaign were written by me) but I much more likely to write a "scratch" adventure using a map, premise, or NPC lifted from a published module. For example, while I say I ran "B7 - Rahasia" for the aforementioned campaign, I doubt it'd be recognizable to anyone who played through it with a different DM. Maybe some names and the elven enclave would be familiar.

Below is a list of every published adventure I have run in my 5E era (since 2020) and how many times each. This represents three different campaigns and 108 sessions.
Adventure Name​
Source​
Times Run​
Notes
A Wizard's FateDungeon #37 [September/October 1992]
4​
includes the 3 times I ran it Dungeons n' Drafts events
The Seven Deadly SkylosDungeon #51 [Jan/Feb 1995]
1​
Based on "The Bandits of Bunglewood"
And a Dozen EggsDungeon #30 [July/Aug 1991]
2​
Highly adapted
U1 - The Sinister Secret of SaltmarshGhosts of Saltmarsh
2​
Ran the original module several times back in the day, tips for HOW I RUN IT here.
The MatchmakersDungeon #7 [Sept/Oct1987]
2​
Adapted; neither party took the hook
Roarwater CavesDungeon #15 [Jan/Feb 1989]
1​
U2 - Danger at DunwaterGoS
2​
Ran this twice during 1E/2E days, read about how I run it for 5E here.
The WhaleDungeon #35 [May/June 1992]
2​
Sidetrek
Salvage OperationGoS
2​
Read about HOW I RUN IT here.
N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God1E module (1982)
1​
Played through this as a player leading to TPK and ran it for 2E.
Song of the FensDungeon #40 [March/April 1993]
1​
Combined with N1
Isle of the AbbeyGoS
1​
Considered running Dungeon mag version many times but never got around to it.
Night Moveswritten from scratch
1​
Through the NightDungeon #29 [May/June 1991]
1​
Sidetrek
The Wayward WoodDungeon #32 [Nov/Dec 1991]
1​
What's Mines is Minesfrom scratch (basically)
1​
Unrecognizably adapted from "Ever-Changing Fortunes" from Dungeon #85 [March/April 2001
U3 - The Final EnemyGoS
1​
"Before We're Bled Dry"adapted from Eat the Rich
1​
Troll Bridgefrom Dungeon #36 [July/Aug 1992]
1​
Sidetrek
NecropolisDungeon #16 [March/April 1989]
2​
includes the one time I ran it for a Dungeons n' Drafts event)
Dread of NightDungeon #24 [July/Aug 1990]
1​
combined in part with "Of Kings Unknown" from Dungeon #25 and used as ongoing campaign backdrop
Janx's JinxDungeon #56 [Nov/Dec 1995]
1​
The Secrets of the TowersDungeon #10 [March/April 1988]
1​
used as ongoing campaign backdrop
UK4 - When a Star Falls1E module
1​
converting/adapting began before Infinite Staircase announcement.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I enjoy them (canned adventures) but almost always heavily adjust them to suit my campaign.

I really enjoy writing up adventures, but my playstyle is one where I follow the pcs rather than leading them, so I don't always know what to write. When the group has a clear next agenda, I try to prep for it. This might be anything from a few notes or a custom battle map to a full module-style write up that covers what I anticipate to be what they'll do for several sessions.

To give a couple of examples- a few sessions ago, the pcs started messing with this set of caves so I prepped that complex as a dungeon. When they finished up, I ran 2-3 sessions improvised, with only a hazy idea of a couple of monsters I'd like to use and some thinking about the npcs involved and their culture (my dromite thread says hello). Then, after last game, I have a pretty good idea of what they're doing next so I have done up a custom battle map for tonight's game along with a bunch of thought about a nice set piece battle.

Since 5e dropped, I have run the following canned adventures in it, generally using the original version and converting on the fly, but using the Yawning Portal version of G1-G3:

S3- Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
H2- Thunderspire Labyrinth
Curse of Strahd
L1- The Secret of Bone Hill
The Whispering Cairn (Dungeon Magazine)
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
G1-G3- Against the Giants

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I should note that when I say I hate pre-written adventures as a GM, I usually mean big campaign length adventures like Paizo APs and WotC 5E adventures. I like slim, location based adventures like Forge of Fury or whatever than I can use in the midst of a campaign -- especially if they are written for table utility rather than "reading."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads