D&D General How do you like your ASIs?

What do you like to see in your character creation rules?

• Fixed ASI including possible negatives.

Votes: 27 19.9%
  • Fixed ASI without negatives.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Floating ASI with restrictions.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Floating ASI without restrictions.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • Some fixed and some floating ASI.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • No ASI

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other (feel free to describe)

Votes: 11 8.1%

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
The option missing is STRONG racial ASIs, because honestly, a +2 or -2 is nothing. I would like heroic level racial ASIs, Runequest is way lower than D&D on the heroic scale, and they have racial stats from 2d6 to 3d6+6 on Int depending on the race, all playable, and the same on most other stats. And is that a problem ? No, because all these races are extremely different and fantastic, and are not just humans in funny hats.
You still describe fixed with negatives so that option is on there. I left out numbers to make things generic.

HammerMan

Legend
if given 100% control of 6e I would (be hated but that is besides the point) say no ASI to start, but keep the ASI with class level(that could be traded for feats). However I would also include every race get a series of always active features and activatable abilities to showcase what make them different...

I assume you mean from race? None, just increase the point buy/array and make the method for rolling starting ability scores more generous.
If fixed ASIs are indeed gone, this absolutely needs to happen. From system aesthetic perspective having both point buy and completely floating ASIs is terrible. It is effectively two different point buys stacked on top of each other for no reason. Stuff like this gives me hives.

If we still lived in a world where the default mode of play was troupe play and rolling stats in order was the most accepted form of ability score generation, then I’d be fine with different races having different dice codes for generating their abilities.
Interesting you feel that way! I kinda feel ASIs are the non-random version of that. Why would randomness make it acceptable to you and what the troupe play has to do with it?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I prefer the base rules be more open, and allowing individual tables to restrict if they see fit.

The last couple of times I've used Tasha's ASIs, I've put the +2 where I wanted it, and the +1 where the race would traditionally have had a +2, to sort of carry the theme. But that's just me. I want the system to be open to more "but that's just me" approaches.

I put 'other'.

I want D&D 6e etc. to adopt something along the lines of either Level Up 5e's ASI system (background provides a fixed boost +1 and a flexible +1 boost) or Pathfinder 2e's system (boosts from class, ancestory, background, and then four free boosts; boosts provide +1 modifier, not +1 to score; ancestories can have two free boosts, one fixed and one free boost, or multiple fixed boosts, one penality, and one free boost, and using an 'Optional Penalty' system, take a penalty to two modifiers in exchange for a boost to a score - which allows any ancestory to play any class effectively, if not optimally).

The current system is just crap and doesn't satisfy anyone.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases