D&D General How do you like your ASIs?

What do you like to see in your character creation rules?

• Fixed ASI including possible negatives.

Votes: 27 19.9%
  • Fixed ASI without negatives.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Floating ASI with restrictions.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Floating ASI without restrictions.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • Some fixed and some floating ASI.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • No ASI

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other (feel free to describe)

Votes: 11 8.1%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
How have you adjusted rests in this case, if at all? Long rest 1/week?
Yes. Or more accurately, once per week or when it's appropriate(ie I say so). The group recently went into a dungeon and fought some drow. They freed a temple that was being desecrated and I took the opportunity for the temple's god to create a peace in the temple to allow an early long rest. They had been in a lot of fights in a short period, because dungeon and waiting a week would have been bad.

Other than dungeons that have lots of encounters(and many don't), I can spread out the adventuring day over a week and then give them a long rest. That way it makes more sense and isn't always a ton of action and then a lull.

Arilyn

Hero
The Next playtest packets changed a lot between releases, so it's very hard to pin down any underlying philosophy. It really wasn't a game that got polished through public playtesting: it was more of an ever changing grab bag of ideas.

I guess? I may be misremembering, it's been a while since I read them. Humans have been the newbie race since 1e, so I would be surprised if that changed. But, if it's not there then it's not there.

Chill.
Humans never were a newbie race in any edition. In BECMI, 1st, and 2nd they were the only race with unlimited advancement in any classes. In 3ed, they were the only race that could choose any class as a favored one. Other races were stuck with only one class as favored. 4ed made them more or less the same as other races with a free feat at creation (which went into 5ed as well with Vhumans), bonus to all save and a free skill (which is still in 5ed). Claiming that humans were anything but main line race is a stretch of what they were. In fact, in standard rules in 5ed, Vhumans are the strongest race all around as they can be good/great at anything. Which lead people wanting floating ASI to cope with the Vhumans. Even the standard human is no slouch as they get a total of +6.

And if they get the floating ASI, do they get 3 stats at +2? Am I opening a can of worm here...?

Sure they were. In 1e, they had no attribute bonuses or penalties, could be of any class, and had no special senses or skills. All the others had some changes to the character sheet, values, or limitations. If you picked human the only thing you had to focus on was your class and gear.

If you don't think humans are the newbie race in 5e, which one is? Or do you think they are all equally complicated?

I'll even take your word for it. I'm sure everyone else in this thread has greater expertise in the 5e ruleset than I do.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases