How do you use the Treasure Rules DMG? (Or How Do You Determine Treasure?)

dreaded_beast

First Post
I only have access to the 3.0 DMG, although I want to run a 3.5 campaign.

I am a bit confused on how to use the treasure rules and tables.

Especially for my campaign, which is a solo-campaign. (1 player and 1 DM).

I have 4 encounters that are EL 1 and 1 encounter that is EL 3 (with a 3rd level NPC).

The party consists of a 1st level monk (the player) with a 1st level NPC helper (played by me, the DM).

Anyway, in my attempt to follow the rules, I would end up giving the monk around 4,000gp worth of treasure. In addition, the adventure should get the character to level 2 (which I want).

However, the DMG said a 2nd level character should have on average 900 gp worth of gear.

Am I doing something wrong or does the high gp treasure reward balance out because there is only 1 PC and 1 NPC in the party?

Please help me figure this out, thanks!

Last edited:

The rules assume that there are 4 people in the party.

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting your 4000gp.

An EL1 is supposed to yield ~300gp.
An EL3 is supposed to yield ~900gp.

4X300 + 900 = 2100gp

2100gp / 2 = 1050gp

which isn't too far from 900gp (if you assume that each level, the characters spend about 10% of their accumulated cash).

AR

dreaded_beast

First Post
Altamont Ravenard said:
The rules assume that there are 4 people in the party.

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting your 4000gp.

An EL1 is supposed to yield ~300gp.
An EL3 is supposed to yield ~900gp.

4X300 + 900 = 2100gp

2100gp / 2 = 1050gp

which isn't too far from 900gp (if you assume that each level, the characters spend about 10% of their accumulated cash).

AR

Thanks for the response!

The remaining 2000 or so GP comes from the 3rd level sorcerer.

The DMG says that a 3rd level NPC should have around 2500 GP worth of gear.

Ah yes. NPC gear. I wonder why they gave low-level NPC's so much money.

Maybe the sorcerer's not carrying all his gear? Maybe he'll use up some things during the fight (namely potions and scrolls)?

But you're right. If PCs face off against mostly NPCs with appropriate wealth, they'll become much richer than what the tables announce.

AR

dcollins

Explorer
You'll notice in 3.0 that this is addressed on DMG p. 171 under "NPCs with Treasure":

...an NPC's gear is already worth about three times the average value of a treasure of his or her level.

It goes on to say that some of that should be one-shot items that get used up against the PCs. Then, if the gear isn't exactly what the PCs want and they sell it at half-price, the hope is that it comes down to a more reasonable value.

Last edited:

dreaded_beast

First Post
Thanks for the responses!

This really helps me alot!

I thought the wording in the DMG was a bit confusing (but maybe that's just me :)) in regards to how much wealth the PCs should have and how much to give.

I want to give my player useful items but at the same time not overload them. This is the first time my friend will be playing, so I don't want them to always expect great items or a lot of treasure, but on the other hand, I don't want them to be under-equipped.

Thanks again!

Shin Okada

Explorer
Give NPC villain reasonable amount of one-shot item or charged item. And let him use them. But be reasonable. If a NPC villain spends all the many for one-shot item and use it in the encounter against PCs, that villain will certainly tougher than indicated CR.

It is somewhat tricky, but I use a lot of Adepts in lower to med level adventure. They tend to have a lot of magic items which typical PCs can never use. Say, divine scroll of Mirror Image/Lightning Bolt and such.

Remove ads