D&D (2024) How excited are you for the new 2024 edition d&d?

What is your excitement level? (1-5 with 5 being the highest)

Votes: 70 35.0%

Votes: 34 17.0%

Votes: 27 13.5%

Votes: 46 23.0%
  • 5 Most excited

Votes: 23 11.5%

• Poll closed .
To be honest, sort of surprised at how meh the forum is in total. As of this writing, the average rating is 2.6, which is pretty much the definition of "meh." Not sure if we're just old, jaded, or turned off by WotC. Or some combination of all of the above and more.

Even I voted above that (3), but that's mostly because I'm semi-retired from playing. But I'm still curious enough to be a 3 (or rounded up, as I'm probably a bit below that but closer to 3 than 2). If I wasn't, I'd probably be closer to 4...which is about what I was at with 5E. The last time I was at a 5 for a new edition was for 3E, thanks in part to the old red-on-black Eric Noah site.
That's great! The plaininess of the rules will make way for the DM's judgement to shine!

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
It all depends on what my group wants to do. If someone is running it, I guess I'm playing. We're playing right now. But the next game is going to be Daggerheart. That's going to be followed by Feng Shui 2. And then I'm running some PF2. So my interest is waning. Although I expect to pick up some stuff for Foundry to support the platform.

gban007

Adventurer
Even in this thread, this close to launch, people are still arguing over whether this constitutes a new edition.

WotC's clearly has a messaging problem.
I'm not sure if a messaging problem, as much as a straight up disagreement. I feel WotC has been clear in their intentions for the 2024 books, and how they are wanting to call them, but a number of people just fundamentally disagree with WotC on how they are choosing to label them. I don't know that any more messaging on WotC's part, as long as they stick to their current definition, will change anyone's mind on this. They could choose to change definition / labelling, but then that isn't a change to messaging, but a change in actual direction as such.

I fear new edition will make it impossible to play offline or without use of D&D Beyond, creating more bariers to entry and that its popcultural stranglehold will be so big I won't be able to stay with 5e or switch to Tales of the Valiant as I plan to and that WotC will find some way to do what they planned to do with OGL 1.1 anyway and all of these things will result in a homogenized rpg scene, where main game to play is a gloriffied naughty word video game and everything else is dying off. I also fear this version of d&d will be too close to 3.5 for my liking.

TiQuinn

This new edition is starting to bring back memories of 3.5 for me - in that, i'm not sure why I'm going to buy it even though I probably WILL buy it, and yet, I'm not sure whether I'll end up playing it right away because our group has moved into some other systems that seem to be doing just fine for us.

At the end of the day, I need something to get me excited about the game, and I may not get that until after it's released.

Remove ads