How hard is learning a new TTRPG system?

If it makes you feel any better I bounce off both the rules and setting every time I've ever tried it.
So, you got me beat at least :)
Shadowrun comes from the 1990s, a time when TTRPG rules tended to be much more complex. While some systems like TORG Eternity have streamlined and simplified for the modern TTRPG era, Shadowrun's rules remain a complex garbage dumpster fire. But I really like the Shadowrun setting. It is a shame such a unique, dynamic setting suffers from such terrible rules. I wonder if Savage Worlds could come up with a Savage Shadowrun setting which maintains the feeling of the world.

Thourne

Hero
Shadowrun comes from the 1990s, a time when TTRPG rules tended to be much more complex. While some systems like TORG Eternity have streamlined and simplified for the modern TTRPG era, Shadowrun's rules remain a complex garbage dumpster fire. But I really like the Shadowrun setting. It is a shame such a unique, dynamic setting suffers from such terrible rules. I wonder if Savage Worlds could come up with a Savage Shadowrun setting which maintains the feeling of the world.
I am pretty sure there are a couple SW Hacks for it out there.
The setting just never did it for me and none of the editions rules have spoken to me. One of our group was gaga over it since it came out. We've tried it many times but if it gets a 2nd session it's a miracle. Just not our thing. Odd considering we love cyberpunk and fantasy.
Sesame Street Idk GIF

BigJackBrass

Explorer
In middle age and suffering with long covid, it's considerably more difficult than it ought to be. Then again, there are few pressing reasons to learn an entirely new system when my group already plays Fudge, Traveller, GURPS, Call of Cthulhu, Warhammer and a range of others. Plenty of variety to tackle anything we might care to run.

Thomas Shey

Legend
In middle age and suffering with long covid, it's considerably more difficult than it ought to be. Then again, there are few pressing reasons to learn an entirely new system when my group already plays Fudge, Traveller, GURPS, Call of Cthulhu, Warhammer and a range of others. Plenty of variety to tackle anything we might care to run.

Well, that is a non-trivial factor; already having a big enough toolkit that the situations that might make you learn a new system are unlikely to arise.

You can get the other side of it though; where systems you were okay with 20 (or in my case, 40) years ago no longer have the shine on them and people no longer really want to use them. At that point you either get back on the horse or see if something else will do.

Last edited:

This is why my next ‘Shadowrun‘ game will use Cities Without Number as the system.

Remove ads