• A few sentences

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • A few paragraphs

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • A few pages

Votes: 21 34.4%

Magister Ludorum

Adventurer
My younger players (17-21) prefer games with a higher chance of death. They also like save-or-die and save-or-suck spells. I played 2e with them for a while (after 3.5/PF1 and before 5e). They liked many things about earlier editions. We just edited the things they didn't like back to an earlier model that they preferred.

The "adult game" (45-70 year olds) play without houserules.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I haven't run into a situation yet where I've felt like it's too much, and I've had some pretty significant amounts of house rules.

aco175

Legend
I said 3-5, but cannot think of that many off hand. We play with flanking, but that may be more an optional rule. We use the average for the die on rolling HP if you roll bad. We just adopted the bonus action to administer a healing potion, and you roll that and if you use your action, you get full HP. I'm sure there are a couple more smaller ones.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I love coming up with house rules and homebrew, but when it comes to actually playing, I only use a few at a time and try to keep them fairly unobtrusive. I want the players to be able to count on pretty close to a by the book experience, maybe with some small tweaks to suit the particular campaign.

delericho

Legend
I have a small number of player-facing house rules, but a much larger set that I use behind the screen to try to help smooth gameplay. Some of the latter are completely invisible to the players, while some (such as how I give out XP) are made known so that they can factor them into how they play the game (if they want).

Laurefindel

Legend
Quality matters far more than quantity, I'm afraid. A small number of bad house rules can make me rethink participating, but a large number of good ones doesn't bother me at all.
this

also, the "depth" of said houserules are also important. Deep houserules that affect a variety of factors and forces us to rethink or recalculate everything takes a lot of tolerance "room" toward being considered one too many. And as people said, the more the houserule supports or enhances specific style of play, the more tolerable it becomes.

So for me, too much houseruling is not measured in numbers (or word count).

Last edited:

Remove ads