How many levels of Prestige Classes do you prefer?

How many levels should be available to a prestige class?

• 5 levels. Prestige classes shouldn't become the character, just help define it.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • 10 levels. Allows for more diversity and options for players.

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • I don't use/like prestige classes. (or my DM doesn't allow any)

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • 5 or 10. It doesn't matter, or I don't care.

Votes: 25 30.5%

KDLadage

Explorer
10. Definately.

I think it needs to allow the abilities of the class to come in slowly, and not be a "grab a couple levels of this one, and a couple levels of that one"

YMMV, IMHO, yada yada yada

Shallown

First Post
I voted five or ten but nmot for the reason you gave. More because some PrC work as a 10 level or a 5. It depends on how defining the class is. You might just need a 5 level class to help round out or flesh out a character.
Take for instance a character joins an organization, It is not one that "Defines" the character but does have some impact or oppurtunity to focus or expand the characters abilities. You don't want to take 10 levels but 5 would be cool versus something the character devotes themselves to that is indeed a 10 level class.

I actually think you should use as many levels as needed to make the class complete, but most the time it can be squeezed into five or stretched into 10 if it doesn't fit just right.

Victim

First Post
I tend to prefer 5 level classse, because they don't completely consume a character. However, the answer should really be whatever the minimum # of levels needed to properly express the idea. Whether it's 5, or 10, or 3 like the Wayfarer Guide.

I don't really like boring prestige classes in which each level grants an additional per day of a power, or a minor upgrade. How boring. For example, I consider many of the Sword and Fist classes guilty of this. Look at the devoted defender. IIRC, it has 3 abilities: Harm's way, deflect attack, and defensive strike. After level 3, you get nothing new. Yet it takes 10 levels because the designers felt the need to stretch it out for some reason. The weapon master, with all the levels in which the character gets Ki critical and Ki damage, seems very boring as well. However, it at least has otehr stuff like whirlwind and improved critical. If the pre-reqs were raised a bit, then it could probably be shortened too.

Sodalis

First Post
definitely 10,

why is it called a PRESTIGE if you are willing to take another class over that one at higher levels? It wouldn't be so prestigious would it...?

Darklance

First Post
I prefer to let the concept decide rather than any magic cut off number. If the idea can be accomplished in 3 levels without a rushed feeling than I would prefer that over a 5 level PRC with 2 levels of inappropriate abilities/bonuses.

Harker Wade

First Post
PrC levels

Agree with Darklance the class should dictate the number levels. A standard could force a concept to be stretched too thin or compressed.

Remove ads