D&D General How many mechanical features does a race need to feel "right"?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
A bit of a thread-jack, but what I find more interesting is how little I see races played as races and not just a set of traits and mechanics...

I hardly ever see it with my own players nor in games I have seen other groups run.

For the most part, if I try to picture a scene in a game, the PC races could be just about anything...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I have a slightly different take on this. When you eliminate ability scores, there is precious little power in racial features. This leads to issues where there isn't enough design space to do races with somewhat powerful abilities. Centaurs are really medium-sized pony-people, who can't even be ridden by normal sized folk. And remember the outcry when the first race with unlimited flying came about?

All in all, if trhere were more meaningful features for play, there would be an opportunity cost for picking a race that focused these into just a few powerful abilities, like large size (Centaur or Half-Ogre, anyone).

So I don't think it's the number, since I can easily see some with a selection of features and then somethign with just a few features but it can fly. But I do think that the whole amount of power and meaningful play impact from races needs to increase so they are truly a pillar of character creation.

A bit of a thread-jack, but what I find more interesting is how little I see races played as races and not just a set of traits and mechanics...

I hardly ever see it with my own players nor in games I have seen other groups run.

For the most part, if I try to picture a scene in a game, the PC races could be just about anything...
On the other hand, my experience is that almost everyone does play their race, even when they forget about mechanics.

Horwath

Legend
5 or 6 traits would be enough.

Traits:

darkvision 60ft
extra skill proficiency, 3 max
skill proficiency+expertise, worth 2 trait "slots", 1 max
2 tools or languages or weapons, 3 max
+1 armor level of starting class, None->light, light->medium, medium->heavy, heavy->extra class skill
+5ft move speed, 2 max
extra cantrip, 2 max
1st level spell once per long rest, 1 max
2nd level spell once per long rest, worth 2 trait slots, 1 max
advantage and resistance vs diseases and poisons
+1 HP per level, 1 max
sentinel rest: long rest is only 4hrs(1hr of light activity) and you are aware while you "rest,
resistance to one type of damage that is not bludgeoning, slashing or piercing.
climb speed equal to walk speed,
swim speed equal to walk speed,
water breathing,
fly speed equal to walk speed, worth 3 slots.
burrow speed equal to half walk speed,

"negative traits"
-5 ft base speed, max 2
small,
light sensitivity, worth 2 negative traits

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
When I've designed 5E races (for my own use, haven't gotten around to publishing), it just made sense to me to give cantrip and spell choices to races that had innate spellcasting. I usually had 3-5 to choose from at each innate spellcasting "tier" (1st, 3rd, 5th).

I think doing the same for most other racial features could eliminate the need for sub-races or different-but-related races. At chargen, choose 1 of these 3 major racial features, 2 of these 6 minor racial features, 2 of these languages, and 2 of these skills or tools - or whatever. The lists to choose from help to keep the race thematic, but there's lots of room to differentiate.

Remove ads