How much damage to a single target is fair at 3rd level?

Michael Morris

First Post
Consider this...
Incinerate
3rd level shunran evocation
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 120’
Components: V, S, M ( a piece of obsidian less than one year old )
Duration: Instantaneous

An orb of lava forms in you hand which you direct to a creature which it then immolates dealing 8d8 fire damage with a dexterity saving throw for half. A creature that fails its saving throw is also set on fire and must take an action, or an ally must take an action, to put out the flames (dexterity save to succeed) or take 1d8 fire damage each time it ends its turn on fire. Immersion in water puts the fire out immediately, no save required. Creatures resistant to fire can't be ignited this way. A character reduced to 0 hit points fails death throws automatically if on fire from this spell. If this spell kills someone outright they are reduces to ash and only resurrection or stronger magic will restore the character.

If you use an obsidian stone that is less than a week old collected from an ongoing eruption, the damage dice increases to d10’s.

At higher levels: When you cast this spell from a 4th level slot you increase the damage by 2d8 for each level above 3rd.

When it really needs to die, kill it with fire. My balancing thoughts though are scorching ray, cast as a 3rd level spell, deals 8d6 if all 4 rays hit. Fireball is also 8d6, but hits multiple foes. So I shifted the die up one step, and let it go up 2 dice a level like scorching ray. The set on fire bit could end up doing a lot if the foe lets it. The d10's bit is a fluff throw in that can be pulled. Also the fact the spell is extra hard to come back from the dead against is there for the fluff, but is it ok?

Last edited:

Michael Morris

First Post
head is a typo ( post edited ). Shunran is the adjective form of Shunra, which is the plane in the setting that powers these sorts of spells.

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
It seems a bit overpowered compared to Blight, which is 4th level. I'd up it to 4th or drop the higher spells slot damage to 1d8 more each level instead of 2d8. You should be comparing to spells of the same level, not spells of lower level cast in a higher slot.

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
I just realized there's only one single target 3rd level spell and that's vampiric touch, which isn't the best spell for a comparison. I still stand by my suggestions, so if you really want it to be a 3rd level spell, I'd reduce the damage increase with higher slots. If you think that'd make it weak, since it is lava and not fire, the damage increase at higher level slots could also apply to the damage each round while on fire too.

Michael Morris

First Post
Blight is a originally a druid spell. It also uses a con save, which isn't subject to being evaded. As far as I have seen, nothing has damage resistance to necrotic damage. But at the end of the day, it's a druid spell and in 3rd edition it would be put at 3rd level for the arcane classes. Vampiric Touch heals, so it cannot be used as a point of reference.

My point of reference is Fireball - 8d6 damage to all targets in a 20' radius. Typically 4 to 8 targets - anything fewer and that and it's more efficient to sit back and cantrip it while the fighter chops away. This does 8d8 to a single target. That is, on average, 4 points more than fireball. Scorching ray must divide its damage among the targets - fireball does not.

Giving up the ability to hit multiple creatures isn't worth 4 hit points extra. So why pick this over fireball? That's why the ongoing damage was added, though I think I will change it so that no save is required to put the fire out - you just have to take an action to do so.

Michael Morris

First Post
Same question as original post, but 9th level..

Volley of Boulders
9th level shunran transmutation
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You enchant up to ten stones so that when they are thrown they will change size to become boulders midflight. You may propel the stones with magic of the spell out to 120 feet using your magic attack bonus, but you may choose to throw it manually if you wish or use a sling, in which case you can add twice your strength or dexterity bonus to the damage of the attack (depending on whether you throw the stone or hurl it with a sling). You do not have to be the one that throws the stone in which case your ally also adds twice their strength or dexterity bonus to the damage of the attack.

The initial target takes 5d12 damage if you hit their AC. The boulder then tumbles at least 30' further along. Roll a d4. On 1 it veers off to the left and on a 4 it veers off to the right, and on 2 or 3 it stays generally straight. Creatures along the path the boulder takes must make dexterity saving throws or take 3d12 damage. Note that the boulder can go even further if it is rolling downhill. Where ever it comes to rest is considered difficult terrain in a 5'x5' area.

Once a pebble has transmuted to a boulder it remains as such permanently. If you cease concentration the unthrown stones, if any, lose their magic. The spell also ends once the last stone is thrown.

Meteor Swarm hands out 40d6 damage in one dose. This has 50d12 damage potential, but it comes in 10 chunks. Also, any one dose of 5d12 (or 5d12 + 5 in the hands of a creature with a high enough ability) hits one target only.

Fair?

Last edited:

Mechanically and narratively, it's kinda uninteresting. You're THROWING BOULDERS, and it's a ninth level spell fer chrissakes. It's okay to be complicated. Have them shatter or bounce, striking a small area each, then leave behind difficult terrain.

(Plus it should have flashback! j/k)

RhaezDaevan

Explorer
Same question as original post, but 9th level..

Volley of Boulders
9th level shunran transmutation
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You enchant up to ten stones so that when they are thrown they will change size to become boulders that strike for 5d12 damage. You do not have to be the one that throws the stone and (to add insult to injury) they can add their strength bonus to their attack with the stone.

Meteor Swarm hands out 40d6 damage in one dose. This has 50d12 damage potential, but it comes in 10 chunks. Also, any one dose of 5d12 (or 5d12 + 5 in the hands of a creature with a high enough dex) hits one target only.

Fair?
I'm confused, is it strength to attack and dex to damage, or would it work like a thrown melee weapon? If the caster throws it, they don't get to use their magic attack bonus to make the attack?

Remove ads