General How much dice do you own?

How many individual dice do you own?

• None. Yeah, I'm that person. Give me your dice. Dice Mooch.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Arilyn

Hero
Tell me more about this dice subscription.

Actually, don't. [Eyes of Nine's wallet]
It's through Libris Arcana. They have regular dice subscriptions and metal dice subscriptions, as well as comics and adventures. I just have regular dice and I'm not going to even look more closely at their other ones! 😊

And yeah, I have a bunch of Fate dice too. So many cool ones. 😎

Azzy

Newtype
Oh, geeze, I have one brick of 36, and another of 12 right in my line of sight - that's 48 right there.

And, I just gave into the urge for some retail therapy, and ordered six sets of polyhedrals, colors inspired by classic NASA pictures of nebulae, which is 42 on the way.

Mind you, I am just coming out of many years of not buying any dice at all, so...
Yeah, I also had a long period oh not buying dice that ended in 2014 for 5e after my previous dice went union on me. Since then, I've gottent dice from the Essentials set and the Starter set. I'll have to get some more soon to build up my dice stores.

On the whole, I much prefer dice with good contrast that are easy to read over fancy-smancy dice where the numbers are difficult to see.

Oofta

Title? I don't need no stinkin' title.
Yeah, I also had a long period oh not buying dice that ended in 2014 for 5e after my previous dice went union on me. Since then, I've gottent dice from the Essentials set and the Starter set. I'll have to get some more soon to build up my dice stores.

On the whole, I much prefer dice with good contrast that are easy to read over fancy-smancy dice where the numbers are difficult to see.
I used to play with a guy that had clear dice. He would roll the dice, pick it up, squint then call out a number.

Was it really what he rolled? Who knows. I'm not sure he even knew.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I used to play with a guy that had clear dice. He would roll the dice, pick it up, squint then call out a number.

Was it really what he rolled? Who knows. I'm not sure he even knew.
I've got a guy who bought old school dice where you color in half the numbers (on a d20). Except he didn't really do a good job and so he's the same- always picking up the dice to squint at the number. Since he has roughly an expected amount of fails, even at bad moments, I'm thinking he's being honest...

Legatus_Legionis

< BLAH HA Ha ha >
I had to have enought to DM (three-sets), plus 3-5 sets so that a newbie (or a regular who forgot theirs), can still play.

We had too many superstitious players, who would NOT share dice - their dice was hot until someone else used it once, then it was fumble and misses.

We also had times where I would have every player roll a dice (usually a d20) at the same time.

Sometimes for initiatives, sometimes to see who just happened to be close to each other for an area effect. A 12 & 13 where standing close to each other while a 4 and 18 were far from each other.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I second this motion!

Also, can someone please talk to the assorted dice manufacturers and tell 'em for the love of gawd to, when putting a logo or a special character on a die, make up their bloody minds whether it replaces the '1' or the 'highest number on the die' and then adopt this as an industry standard.

I've got d6s that do both - some have the logo replacing the '1', others the '6' - and it's a nuisance when I roll 'em and see a bunch of logos staring up at me, 'cause now I have to check each one to see if it's a 1 or a 6. I've also seen d20s in both formats.

My own preference is that the special character replace the highest number.

Same here. If I or an other player can't see the result, I always consider the result to be a marvellous #1. In other words a total failure. This rule is responsible for the fact that now all my players do not jump on the dice and all dice have nice contrast. It is way easier to read, especially for an old grognar like me, and it removes cheating.

Eadorin

Villager
Over 1000 dice, easily, but none of them are as coveted as my solid metal ones-- nothing says "piercing damage" like my caltrops-esque d4.

MxBaticeer

Villager
If it’s true that a pound bag of dice is 100, then I guess I have over 100 which puts me in “collector” territory on this poll, but I don’t really think I have a LOT of dice compared to many people. All the dice I’ve got are:

• Big pound bag, not the Chessex pound but one of the ones that came with a guaranteed number of matching sets. i don’t remember the exact brand (Maybe Wizdice?) I got these when I was introducing a group of new players when I figured out it cost as much to get the giant bag as to buy two individual sets, so it was ridiculously more cost-effective for a brand new group. The players wanted me to keep all the dice, rather than taking any sets home themselves, so I still have these after the campaign ended.
  • Two chessex sets. One just a random impulse buy and the other was chosen for a specific character I was playing. I know a lot of people like having a themed set for each new major character they play.
  • A couple of sparkly glitter d20s that I got to hand out to players to represent Inspiration because IME everyone always forgets to use it without a reminder.
  • Some marbled red d6s that I bought when I was playing a rogue in adventurer’s league because I thought it would be fun to have special dice for my sneak attack damage.
  • Big transparent d20 with another small d20 inside of it, bought this one because it was just a weird little novelty.

So all in all I haven’t actually made that many individual dice purchases and don’t consider myself a big dice fan or anything. Now miniatures on the other hand... THOSE are where I have a problem...

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
My dice bag weighs about 1kg. That’s 2 or so pounds. I have no idea how many dice that actually is. If the earlier maths are correct, that means around 200. I usually buy a new set for every campaign I play in. I love my shiny math rocks.

Last edited:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I had said between 50 and 100... and then I began to count them, and it was more than 120... I think I have a dice problem...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Since starting this thread, I’ve bought three more sets, including a set of rainbow fluorite.
Let's see - you started this thread on June 1. You posted this on June 9.

That's three sets in nine days; for math simplicity let's call it 3 in 10. That extrapolates to 9 sets in 30 days; 90 in 300; or about 112 sets a year. If each set contains an average of 8 dice, that's gettin' on for a rate of maybe 900 dice a year.

At that rate, and assuming June 1 as a start-from-zero point, you'll be able to completely bury yourself in dice by about the end of this century... :)

Mercurius

Legend
Let's see - you started this thread on June 1. You posted this on June 9.

That's three sets in nine days; for math simplicity let's call it 3 in 10. That extrapolates to 9 sets in 30 days; 90 in 300; or about 112 sets a year. If each set contains an average of 8 dice, that's gettin' on for a rate of maybe 900 dice a year.

At that rate, and assuming June 1 as a start-from-zero point, you'll be able to completely bury yourself in dice by about the end of this century... :)
Funny. Thankfully my rate of purchasing dice isn't consistent. But...I've got a few sets on my Ebay watchlist and Amazon cart, and have a $5 credit at my FLGS, so...

Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters

Advertisement2

Advertisement4