D&D General How much dice do you own?

How many individual dice do you own?

• None. Yeah, I'm that person. Give me your dice. Dice Mooch.

Votes: 0 0.0%

ccs

41st lv DM
At least 500+
That's what I voted for. But if I'm beyond 1k it wouldn't surprise me. I'm not going to do an inventory.

There's plenty of D&D dice in that #, a good # of specialty dice (no #s or some that simply aren't for rolling), and dice in assorted board games. But most of these are the lowly d6....
This is because I'm also a minis wargamer of several systems & often multiple armies within a system. Most of them are d6 based. And for every force I build, I include it's own cube or two of d6s in its case. Since I've been mini-wargaming for 30 years.... That's alot of d6 at around 25-50 dice per case.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I found it hard to answer since I count my dice in pounds. About one and a half pound of dice is like ... what? Up to 500 maybe?

Let's science this!

I just got out a scale, and weighed 4 sets of polyhedral dice - d20, d12, d%, d10, d8, d6, d4; a couple different plastics. I got 4.13 oz total. So, on average 1.03 oz per set.

A pound and a half of dice would be 24 ounces. That's 23.3 sets of dice. 7 dice per set would be ballpark 163 dice.

500 dice is ballpark 71 and a fraction sets, and would be more like 4 lbs.

Note: This is a ballpark, and averages over die types and different plastics. D&D players may tend to buy in sets like I used. But Shadowrun players will have a ton of d6s, and White Wolf players all d10, and so on.

Last edited:

Should a distinction be made between personal dice and community dice?
My household has 3 lbs of Community Dice, labeled as such, and contained in an old, large pickle jar.

I have no emotional attachment to these dice. Indeed, like others in this thread, I have actively encouraged players to make and keep dice sets from the horde.

I also have a traveling dice bag, in my DM satchel that has around 150 dice, that were obtained from 1980 to 2001. Many of these dice date back to my childhood, so a small bit of attachment, but honestly pre-pandemic I was giving away many of these dice to the children of my players.
In my mind, very little difference between these dice and the aforementioned Community Dice.

I did receive a gift of a metal set of dice, from my spouse in May. I love the heft of these dice.
That set is mine.

I also have two sets of extremely small dice made from Lapis Lazuli and Malachite, respectively. These sets are too small to use as dice, but are great examples of semi precious stones. I consider them game aids for gems.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Depends. Does it count that I own a FLGS with many thousands of dice? They're all MINE, but I let people buy them. Isn't that kind of me?

I also have a several dozen in my dice box. Every once in a while, I swap 'em out for new ones.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I found it hard to answer since I count my dice in pounds. About one and a half pound of dice is like ... what? Up to 500 maybe?

I can tell you with certainty, having bought many the "Pound of Dice" for my store, that a pound is nearly exactly 100 dice. So a pound and a half is 'only' around 150. I have counted dice in a pound many many times ... always between 90 and 110 with many various sizes.

Last edited:

Remove ads