How much Gonzo do you like in your D&D? THE POLL!

How do you like your D&D?

• I like my D&D GONZO. D&D should be like Outback Steakhouse; no rules, just right.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I like my D&D STANDARD. When people say YA BASIC, that should be a compliment.

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN!

Votes: 20 24.7%

• Poll closed .

Weiley31

Legend
WoD is now called CoD?

.....sounds fishy.

I mean, humans are using drones to Wipeout Vampires that the government are now aware of. The vampires even call it The Second Inquisition IIRC.(or something)

So...we supposedly have CoD elements in 5E Vampire The Masquerade.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
"I will brook NO gonzo nonsense in my game! Now if you'll excuse me, that half-devil warlock devoted to an ancient terror that we shall not speak its name just went, and now my anthropomorphic dragon monk has to punch this giant floating eyeball multiple times, while lightning bolts arc past us"

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Special Snowflake answer-

Blackmoor Gonzo? Sure
Barrier Peaks? Sure.
EPT? Sure
Starport? (13A)? Sure,

Arduin? Much of it is pushing too far for my tastes. Which has always made it a Love/Hate affair for me.

I think encountering the Gonzo in the typical D&D world as unique/isolated/rare thing is fine/fun/a change of pace and I use it as a DM.

When the Gonzo becomes the norm of the D&D world , Like say Technos and other elements in Arduin or Eberron's magical tech, or even Planescape- then I'm not a fan. I'd just rather run something like RIFTS.

That's my bag too- the Gonzo has to be neat-neat and mostly unexpected, leaving the players with a wry smile rather than trying to make them LOL.

My example would be in a run through of Elemental Evil the guys had a cart full of Pitchblende (they'd played through Lost Mines earlier- the stuff was mined there, this after hey had cleared out the bad guys and left the Dwarven folk in charge).

Anyway, long story short- the Pitchblende was the rocket fuel needed to power up the Dwarven Spaceship to go fetch Moradin from the heavens to fight the good fight against the Princes of Elemental Evil.

For three quarters (more. approx. 90%) of the adventure the only Gonzo was the Pitchblende (the Players eventually decided to look it up, for a good while they thought it was just high grade coal- because that's what I told 'em), and a door that they couldn't open that was quite definitely not from the fantasy milieu- sirens, hydraulics/magnetics/electrical power, with extra flashing lights- think military industrial complex meets Dwarf-mined-mithril and you're about there.

The only real Gonzo was the last ditch space dash and the Kirk to bridge cajolery in which the PCs had to persuade starman (Dwarf) Moradin to come on down with his space-hammer.

Memorable, rather than a different game/setting heaped on top of D&D.

Oh, in another campaign I DMed the players found a pair (eventually- they found one, and then maybe ten sessions later, the second) of modern day walkie-talkies (and not the D&D magic item equivalent- Sending Stones, from memory). They had fun with those bad boys- for like the best part of a year (real time), then came the pay off... turned out there was a third walkie-talkie and someone listening in, I think I waited something like 25+ sessions before creeping them out with that sucker.

So, Gonzo when the Gonzo is good.

It's a rule for life.

Cheers goonalan

MarkB

Legend
220px-Gonzo_the_Great.jpg
And now I'm just picturing the next Henson movie project - Muppet Forgotten Realms. So far, I'm thinking Gonzo as Volo, Fozzie as Elminster and Animal as Wulfgar.

I really do pine for more non-standard fantasy, but I hate when the setting tries to add anything silly. The game is hard enough to keep serious as it is.

Remove ads