How much Gonzo do you like in your D&D? THE POLL!

How do you like your D&D?

• I like my D&D GONZO. D&D should be like Outback Steakhouse; no rules, just right.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I like my D&D STANDARD. When people say YA BASIC, that should be a compliment.

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN!

Votes: 20 24.7%

• Poll closed .

OB1

Jedi Master
I like gonzo, I like weird, I like larger than life and unbound imagination. I want Thor: Ragnorok, not The Dark Knight. I want The Dark Tower, not The Lord of the Rings. I want Planescape and Spelljammer and Ravnica and Ebberon, not European Medieval with a drop of magic.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
As others have said, everyone's definition is different, but reading here I guess my games would qualify as fairly well out there on the gonzo scale as defined in the thread: plane-jumping, spaceship technology, steampunkish airships, laser cannons, robots, and so forth have all reared their heads at some point or other and doubtless will again.

But what threw me is that for none of this do I ever use the word 'gonzo'. To me, gonzo has nothing at all to do with setting elements but instead refers to a style of play where caution is thrown to the wind, crazy-ass stuff is tried on a frequent basis, plays are made for laughs or entertainment or "let's see what happens if..." rather than effectiveness*, and character elements and personalities are completely over-the-top and dialled to 11.

Given that, sign me up for all the gonzo I can get! It's about how I usually play anyway.... :)

* - though effectiveness might occasionally result regardless - dice can be funny like that.

Stormonu

Legend
I like my D&D standard, with ONE gonzo aspect per campaign - usually as a side mystery for the players to figure out where it came from/what it means.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases