• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to tell someone not to come back.

Aeolius

Adventurer
"You simply walk up to the girl and say 'I break with thee, I break with thee, I break with thee' and then you throw dog poop on her shoes" - Steve Martin

Cor Azer

First Post
"Everyone coming next week, raise their hand."

"Not so fast, Bob..."

But seriously - surfing the 'net during a game (and presumably not looking up rules)? That's being a jerk.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
I would write him an e-mail, explaining everything. In this way it's easier to make sure that your words are soft enough and your friendship will endure. Face-to-face it's easier for things to escalate.

He will read your e-mail and maybe have some kind of reaction: Cry a river, Gomer Pyle's final scene, take it like a man, etc. The thing is that in the end of the e-mail there should be something like 'I want to be your friend, but I don't want to play with you anymore because our styles are just too different'. He will sleep over it and hopefully everything will be fine.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I would write him an e-mail, explaining everything. In this way it's easier to make sure that your words are soft enough and your friendship will endure. Face-to-face it's easier for things to escalate.

With an e-mail though you risk him incorrectly interpreting your tone. You may think your e-mail sounds soft and regretful but it might sound to him as accusatory or curt.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
One way to get rid of a player or players is to bring the current story arc to a close and tell everyone that's the end of the game. Then, after a brief hiatus, invite back olny the players you want for the next story arc.

We basically did this. Except we said that Sunday no longer works for people so we were stopping. And then started playing on Saturdays except without the person we wanted. Yay for avoiding the whole issue of telling the person anything!

Wycen

Explorer
We had a thread similar to this last week, didn't we? Monk, character sheet, unfocused player.

Reminds me of a funny story. I was in a local game store, Dr. Comics and Mr. Games way back about a decade ago.

I was looking at the game books and an excited guy, who I believe was a teenager asked me if I played. So we had a short conversation and he asked if he could come to our next game. I said yes and gave him the contact info.

So we met as usual and he was there. The only quality I can recall that was annoying was eating the snacks and having food fly from his mouth. I know the host wasn't pleased.

But in my defense, how many times are people going to actually follow through with finding directions, getting from Piedmont/Oakland to San Leandro, and having the balls to show up, eat snacks, all that? If I recall he had to take the bus one way and get a ride from his mom the way back.

Anyway, we briefly "ended the game" when he asked if we were going to play next week and then started where we left off.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads