• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How useful is DMG2?

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Yes, but it also contains some great subsystems (low-magic, and especially companion characters) that are incredibly useful in game prep.

Cyronax

Explorer
So basically it's a really good advice book?

I didn't buy the DMG2 at first. I read sections of it in the bookstore, but didn't purchase it.

I broke down and got it after seeing numerous traps, skill challenges, companion rules, minion rules, artifacts (Rod of Seven Parts), and some advice for quick encounter setup and such things. The Sigil section is also a nice addition, but honestly I could gather that information from the internet, even with just wikipedia.

All that I listed are IMO usable right at the table.

By way of comparison, I never used DMG1 much after the first few sessions of gaming, when I'd often refer to p.42 and encounter building chapters. After that, I only opened it for Traps and the special rules regarding mounted combat and the like.

Last weekend when I was DMing away from my apartment (unusual for me), I only brought three books in my carrybag -- the MM2, a certain module that I was pulling some ideas directly out of, and the DMG2.

Oh I also had my 4e DM Screen -- the most important thing of all.

C.I.D.

Ktulu

First Post
Same as the above guys; I've been running games for years, and I keep a copy by my bed to just read and ponder over ideas. It gets more dedicated time than any other D&D book I own. I've used many ideas from it and keep going back to mine for more.

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
I absolutely love the book. A lot of it can also be used in other games, too! It's just a lot of solid advice.

Of course, not every single product can appeal to every single person. Worst case, head over to a book store and flip through the book to see if you like what's inside before buying it. Though I predict the majority of people would love this book, I can see others not wanting/liking it.

I love the DMG2. By far the best 4e book put out so far.

I'm gonna go so far as to say that even if you HATE 4e, you should go to a local book store and read the first chapter of DMing tips and tricks. Great stuff. (As apparently MadLord just suggested while i was typing my praise. Clearly, great minds think alike :) )

The DMing advice, combined with crunch (I'm using one of the monster theme templates as a major component of my current campaign's villains.

StormCrow42

Explorer
A non-inclusive list of stuff in the DMG2 to love, in no particular order.

New crunch in the DMG2

• Rules for "companion" characters to accompany your PCs
  • Rules for temporarily adjusting existing PCs to match the level of your existing party.
  • Updated rules for creating solo monsters
  • Rules for creating minions
  • Monster themes (how to tie groups of monsters together)
  • Updated guidelines and examples for skill challenges (incorperating a year+ of Dragon articles on them)
  • Terrain powers (stuff on the battlefield characters can interact with)
  • More traps and terrain
  • Trap building
  • Alternate rewards to magic items

New fluff

• Advice on story building (by Robin Laws)
  • Advice on involving your players in worldbuilding (by Robin Laws)
  • Vignettes (by Robin Laws, are we seeing a pattern here)
  • Encounter building (and tailoring to player types)
  • Sigil
  • Organizations and factions

pemerton

Legend
So basically it's a really good advice book?
Rules as well, as others have posted. The skill challenge section is a huge improvement on the DMG, though still not enough IMO.

The traps and encounter powers are good too.

By the way, for those who want more good stuff from Robin Laws I strongly recommend HeroQuest 2nd ed. Although 4e and HeroQuest are mechanically different in many respects, the book still has a lot of stuff that I think a 4e GM would find useful.

Dungeon Masta

First Post
Not much I can say that hasn't been said before...
I can only agree that from a crunch standpoint it's got some interesting terrain features and templates for creating some monsters. Also the errata on skill challenges makes them much more viable in my opinion, if you aren't using it already.
Vignettes are interesting components of play that really get your players to start stretching their roleplaying muscles, especially if they're in a rut with their characters.
I also really like the tips on story arcs and the like, although I had already been instinctually doing that. I don't like the concept of story branches, sounds like way too much prep, and you can never predict exactly what the PCs will do.
All in all, I highly recommend it.

Remove ads