D&D General How welcome would a wordy and somewhat philosophical treatment of alignment be here? [Thread resolved, thank you.]

Big J Money

Adventurer
I've been pondering alignment for a few weeks and I ended up writing a 9 page ontological essay. It's pretty valuable for my own use, so I'd like to share it, but 9 pages is awfully a lot for a forum post. I don't have a D&D or roleplaying blog because I don't write enough of this stuff and wouldn't be consistent in my posting.

Would anyone care to read it? Is such a long post doable here? Or is this probably a waste of a forum post?

I think any take on alignment is going to have more people disagree with it, nit-pick it, or "Actually..." it than agree but if you're fine with that I think it's worth posting. I will say that probably only a few people will initially read it, but if it spurs interesting debate or discussion, more will follow. I'd certainly want to see if it had any helpful insights.

Celebrim

Legend
Go for it. I wrote I think 5 pages just on Neutral Evil once, so 9 pages on all the alignments won't be excessive.

I suspect everyone who will be interested has already come up with some sort of description of the alignments that they are already happy with, so don't expect a lot of agreement but I do suspect some will read it and that you'll provoke the usual alignment arguments. If you're OK with that sort of unresolvable debate, then go for it.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Sure, go for it. My only suggestion is to break it up a bit. Make each page a separate post, or you could even make a thread for each alignment if that works better.

jasper

Rotten DM
I've been pondering alignment for a few weeks and I ended up writing a 9 page ontological essay. It's pretty valuable for my own use, so I'd like to share it, but 9 pages is awfully a lot for a forum post. I don't have a D&D or roleplaying blog because I don't write enough of this stuff and wouldn't be consistent in my posting.

Would anyone care to read it? Is such a long post doable here? Or is this probably a waste of a forum post?
Here hold on to these weights. Push. Gee that was a dry well. hope you are okay. Let me throw some napalm down to keep you warm while I go for help.
Please don't do it.

It would be fun to read!

Just don't expect a revolution. Massive dissertations on alignment are fairly common. Some people have even done their Ph.D thesis on it. Share it because you enjoyed writing it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases