D&D (2024) How will WOTC monetize One D&D?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think there are some very strong limits to how aggressive WoTC can be in monetisation. The game is relatively cloneable and by people other than WoTC. WoTC depends a lot on the brand image. This is a difference with video game. You can kill a game in the video game world by aggressive monetisation but come back with a near identical tile and start the process again with a different studio.
If WoTC does too much damage to the brand image it is pretty much dead.
I agree here. I just don’t think all content and our vtt play for 5 dollars per month is aggressive monetization - and such a model has a lot of customer value and spreads the monetization around. Is that the one they go with. Not sure but I think it’s likely a top contender and more importantly it shows a way they can drastically increase monetization with increasing the amount the dm spends and for a fairly minor buy in on the player side.

renbot

Adventurer
The VTT will just charge you for outside the base aspects for models.

Your Tabaxi glaive echo knight fighter will cost 5 bucks each for the tabaxi head, snow leapard skin, glaive weapon, cape, and echo effect.
Then if you want to import that to the MMO and tactics game, that $25 dollars each unless you have DNDB Premium.

No one will laugh at human longsword fighters ever again.
Sure they will. They will mock them for being cheap.

Reynard

Legend
Pay 99 cents for a +1 on that d20 roll, or $2.00 for a natural 20.
Some friends and I run a competitive multi-table charity event every year at a regional con and basically use microtransactions like this to raise money for sick kids. It's highly effective in that context, but I doubt it is broadly applicable.

Part of this is as he reminded - they want to monetize D&D One like a video game with reoccurring spending.

The other part is they talked about 80% of the player base not being monetized or being under monetized. So they will do something to try to monetize that segment. Eliminating sharing or requiring a paid subscription from players for it and micro transactions are the only real paths to monetize these players.

So this is still jumping to a conclusion.

It is not the only path. And maybe not even the best. It is one of many possibilities.

It is quite possible that you can still share all the books you own.
But maybe you can also chose an option to not buy books, but just pay a monthly fee to gain access to certain books, which is not sharable.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So this is still jumping to a conclusion.

It is not the only path. And maybe not even the best. It is one of many possibilities.

It is quite possible that you can still share all the books you own.
But maybe you can also chose an option to not buy books, but just pay a monthly fee to gain access to certain books, which is not sharable.
I’m game. Name another possibility that aligns with those statements.

What other ways can d&d one monetize the 80% other than micro transactions or paid subscription or some combination of the 2?

I’m game. Name another possibility that aligns with those statements.

What other ways can d&d one monetize the 80% other than micro transactions or paid subscription or some combination of the 2?

Sorry. I don't take that bait.
Jump to any conclusion you like. You might be right in the end. But it is not the only option.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases