I draw the occasional D&D map

One thing you saw in a number of classic D&D adventure modules were crazy long hallways to break parts of the dungeon apart. Part of it was so we could have more wandering monsters. Part of it was so the rest of the place wouldn’t rise up when adventurers noisily executed the guys in room 3. And part of it was so you could slip in the occasional sloping passage so characters wouldn’t realize they had transitioned between dungeon levels (and thus difficulty levels). To accommodate those long passages, this map was drawn on legal paper (8.5″ x 14″).

the-long-halls-patreon-web.png

The Halls of Taqash Thesk were mostly cut from the raw stone using disintegration spells and then masonry was added to make them feel a little less alien. Since the ascension of the goat-king Taqash to the Realms of Pleasant Evenings, the halls have been used by a mixture of those who would claim his worldly powers, and those who seek to follow his ascent.

One thing you saw in a number of classic D&D adventure modules were crazy long hallways to break parts of the dungeon apart. Part of it was so we could have more wandering monsters. Part of it was so the rest of the place wouldn’t rise up when adventurers noisily executed the guys in room 3. And part of it was so you could slip in the occasional sloping passage so characters wouldn’t realize they had transitioned between dungeon levels (and thus difficulty levels). To accommodate those long passages, this map was drawn on legal paper (8.5″ x 14″).

View attachment 93111

The Halls of Taqash Thesk were mostly cut from the raw stone using disintegration spells and then masonry was added to make them feel a little less alien. Since the ascension of the goat-king Taqash to the Realms of Pleasant Evenings, the halls have been used by a mixture of those who would claim his worldly powers, and those who seek to follow his ascent.

Assuming that those are ten-foot squares, that's about 434 disintegrate spells.

The only major human settlement in the Swamp of Forgotten Dreams, Will-o-the-Wisp sits on the edge of the swamp on the shore of Dreaming Bay. The settlement has gone through several names, but one tavern name ended up sticking to the whole settlement because it was the primary watering hole for many travelling through the town. Now the whole settlement uses the name and, tragically, the namesake tavern burned to the ground years ago.

will-o-the-wisp-patreon-web.png

Will-o-the-Wisp is primarily a human settlement, but a noticeable number of bugbears from a few families also live here. Notoriously short-tempered, they are welcome in the town militia but are treated with kid gloves most of the time and are only really accepted because they are a small minority of the populace.

zombie-island-patreon-web.png

Merchants have spread the word that Zorus Island has been overrun with zombies.

Sensible people are avoiding it along with the merchants now, but clever people have pointed out that it is far too close to the mainland to leave it alone if indeed the tales of zombie contagion are true.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Dyson, do you mind if I use Will-o-the-wisp for a town in my campaign? I’d post it with credit to you on my wiki...and probably modify it a bit. Not that anyone but me ever LOOKS at my wiki.

Dyson, do you mind if I use Will-o-the-wisp for a town in my campaign? I’d post it with credit to you on my wiki...and probably modify it a bit. Not that anyone but me ever LOOKS at my wiki.

This is why I post my maps - for people to use. PLEASE use it. For commercial works there's a bunch of restrictions and stuff, but for personal non-commercial use (including posting the stuff to your website or equivalent), run with it and just throw me a credit ("Cartography by Dyson Logos" or "Map by Dyson Logos" and preferably a link to www.dysonlogos.com)

Over the 9 years that I've been drawing maps, I've posted the occasional thread and map to these forums. With all the hoopla going on over Patreon right now (which I use extensively), I figured I could start posting highlights and updates of my work again.

I draw my maps using technical felt-tipped pens on a variety of paper. Lately I've moved almost entirely over to using 32lb white laser printer paper for my work (Hammermill's "Laser Print" paper with the butterfly on the package). The resulting maps are scanned, reduced to pure B&W, sometimes cleaned up a bit in Photoshop (to get rid of minor mistakes and debris on the page), and released at 1200 dpi on my blog ( rpgcharacters.wordpress.com )

The end result is stuff like this:

The Banshee's Tower:
View attachment 91998

Fury of the Emerald Hawk
View attachment 91999

Home of the Master (redrawn from module I1 - Dwellers of the Forbidden City)
View attachment 92000

Stariphos Bay
View attachment 92001

Wreck of the Wight's Shadow
View attachment 92002

Love your work Dyson. Massive fan.

In particular, I love the rhyme and reason you put behind your maps. It's nice to understand why a particular map looks the way it does.

That and how you always try and avoid super-linear maps where possible.

Remove ads