D&D 5E I hate rapiers. Do you?

Do you like the way 5e has handled rapiers?

• Absolutely not! I hate, hate, hate the way 5e has handled rapiers.

Votes: 50 21.6%
  • I dislike 5e rapiers so much I have houseruled a nerf on them.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I like rapiers, and I eat paste.

Votes: 89 38.5%
  • I only participate in polls with leading questions.

Votes: 75 32.5%

G

Guest 6801328

I'd so much rather read this thread than the one where everybody is having a pissing match over who knows the most about historical swords.

Greg K

Legend
I will probably make them 1d6 piercing. To receive the d8 and finesse benefit will require a fighting style or an appropriate archetype (e.g., Swashbuckler, Duelist, Gallant, Musketeer). Maybe, also provide a feat option for a fencing or courtly dueling style.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] So you prefer unjustified opinions over fundamental knowledge?
Me not, i like it when People know what they talk about. You cannot convince me by telling me your preferences but you can by telling me hard proven Facts.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] So you prefer unjustified opinions over fundamental knowledge?
Me not, i like it when People know what they talk about. You cannot convince me by telling me your preferences but you can by telling me hard proven Facts.

I appreciate the sentiment thank you.
[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION]: The goal wasn't to have a "pissing match" and use "leet historical knowledge" to restrict options, but rather to expand them. And since we were talking about "how swords would work out in D&D world", it was inherently speculative.

Ninja-radish

First Post
Personally I've always hated rapiers, but it has nothing to do with rules or mechanics. I just prefer medieval weapons to the Renaissance. Also I hate the idea of swashbucklers in my games. However, I don't ban or nerf rapiers when I DM.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Personally I've always hated rapiers, but it has nothing to do with rules or mechanics. I just prefer medieval weapons to the Renaissance. Also I hate the idea of swashbucklers in my games. However, I don't ban or nerf rapiers when I DM.
Full plate armor is a very late medieval armor at the earliest... did you modify your armor tables?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Tony Vargas

Legend
So you prefer unjustified opinions over fundamental knowledge?
There's a lot of that on-line, if you think about it.

I mean, you can argue opinions endlessly without ever admitting you're wrong. It's harder when ugly ol' facts keep getting brought up. So the former sort of conversations have legs.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

Remove ads