D&D (2024) I think they should add the Artificer, Aasimar, and Genasi

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't see the need for the Artificer to get published a 3rd time... but would have no issues whatsoever with turning the Tiefling species page into a Planetouched species page that would cover Tiefling, Aasimar and Genasi (since we would be using the pagecount for Tieflings anyway.)

But then again, we just had Aasimar and Genasi reprinted in the Monsters of the Multiverse book, so I don't know how necessary reprinting those are either.

I will say though that I do not believe it is necessary to reprint something in the new PHB purely for "esteem" purposes. The idea that for something to be considered actually "important" to the game that it has to be in the PHB. People put way too much stock and ego into things like that.

I think it should be Aasimar and Goblins, as the Goblin is the most reprinted PC species option in 5e so far, might as well save themselves the effort of reprinting the Goblin everytime there's a new campaign setting.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I think they should add the Artificer, Aasimar, and Genasi, I think these 3 deserve PHB status.
I'm burned out on players thinking that aasimar race choice means they were bumping elbows with upper tier celestials & meeting beings with deific levels instead of integrating their PC's past more in the game world where the campaign takes place so more than happy for those to not be in the PHB. Don't think I've seen anyone take a genasi or it was an experience that avoided being one worthy of searing itself into my memories

As to Artificer, I love them & for now think it's ok for them to wait for an early supplement for a lot of reasons:
  • There seems to be a push to truly support modular subsystems when it comes to things like weapons armor & spell lists. Waiting on artificer gives a great excuse to wait a few months for the initial cracks & motes of gold to shake out in the default as the system us put through the fire of actual play. That ensures the modular dropins for settings like eberron & maybe even darksun where assumptions about magic items & baseline availability of stuff can be nicely tuned for the way people actually use the system
  • The way infusions worked in the 5e artificer felt a bit off sometimes & waiting gives a chance for things like crafting rules to be fleshed out for the artificer to extend or twist them.
  • Artificers straddle a not quite arcane not quite divine line in an interesting way & waiting gives a chance to see what the two sides of that line ultimately look like in play with actual PCs
  • etc.

Remove ads