• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I thought WotC was removing biological morals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribe

Legend
You would infer very incorrectly, especially since I've said many times, including in this thread, that I don't use alignments. Which means that I have already made changes. Just like you can take a creature with no alignment and give it one, if you like.
Well then I'm glad you have used the solution hard wired into the rule set.

Faolyn

(she/her)
lol, i'm honestly confused because your screenshot doesnt line up with what you are claiming it does. I said what you mentioned, but the insinuation came from a quote off a different piece, like I said.
So here you are, either outright lying or really not even bothering to read your own posts before you reply. Which is it.

I linked to two different posts. Along with the second link, I screenshotted the part you mentioned. You only referred to the first link and ignored the screenshot altogether.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Well then I'm glad you have used the solution hard wired into the rule set.
Just like you can, since alignments haven't been included for a couple of books and will likely continue to not be included.

Edit: and you failed to actually address the points I made.

Scribe

Legend
I linked to two different posts. Along with the second link, I screenshotted the part you mentioned. You only referred to the first link and ignored the screenshot altogether.
Honestly the screenshot reflects what I said. I honestly am misunderstanding you.

JEB

Legend
3e did a great job with that. Alignment for the "evil" races was listed as, "Usually evil" or "Often evil." There were numbers for that as well. "Usually chaotic evil," which orcs were, just meant that more than half were chaotic evil. So 50.01% qualified if the DM wanted it to. That left a great deal of room for every other alignment including Lawful Good.
Actually, the 3E orc was "often chaotic evil", not "usually chaotic evil". Meaning 40-50% of orcs were chaotic evil, "but exceptions are common". So it was even more likely in 3E that a given orc was some other alignment.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The strength-related difference between goliaths and halflings is represented by the goliath's Powerful Build trait, which accounts for size.
Not accurately, though. People who are MUCH bigger and can lift, carry and drag more, are also STRONGER. To represent that goliaths need to on average have a higher strength score than halflings. That requires a strength bonus.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Not accurately, though. People who are MUCH bigger and can lift, carry and drag more, are also STRONGER. To represent that goliaths need to on average have a higher strength score than halflings. That requires a strength bonus.
Next thing you'll be trying to argue more force causes more damage or something silly like that.

But seriously, I wonder if having different STR ranges for different creatures would be less of a problem if the damage mod (strength) was split from the to hit (which feels like a dex thing, while ac or init feel like an agility thing).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So why should we assume that all games are going to have races being made for Always Evil purposes?
We don't. The MM covers that by encouraging the DM to depart from the listed alignments. The DMs can do whatever they feel like for their games.

JEB

Legend
We don't. The MM covers that by encouraging the DM to depart from the listed alignments. The DMs can do whatever they feel like for their games.
It seems pretty clear at this point that D&D needs to do more than just include that bit about alignment, though, considering how many people appear to have missed it and assume that a listed alignment means every single member of the species has that alignment. Maybe a whole section on varying monster portrayals (plus more nuance and options in monster listings generally).

I'm hoping Fizban's demonstrates a viable path forward...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads