D&D 5E I thought WotC was removing biological morals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I thought it was about how they forced other groups to wear visible marks, not those they wore themselvee
I hadn't considered that interpretation but I don't think it fits in necessarily with what the argument was about.

It's the morning, I am tired .-.

I'm not sure how these supernatural tattoos work. If they are considered "marks of honor" from these particular drow bestowed on them by the veneration of Lloth, then it's mostly a difference without much of a distinction.
If it is a mark of veneration, I think most adherents would be extremely reluctant to cover it up. This paradoxically has the effect that it is easier for a non-Lloth drow to pass as a Lloth-drow (using a disguise kit) than the contrary.

I find this approach difficult to accept from gods that value deceit and subterfuge, but probably would have less of an objection from evil gods who disdain such subtlety.

Also, uniforms in times of war are something completely different.

If it is a mark of veneration, I think most adherents would be extremely reluctant to cover it up. This paradoxically has the effect that it is easier for a non-Lloth drow to pass as a Lloth-drow (using a disguise kit) than the contrary.

I find this approach difficult to accept from gods that value deceit and subterfuge, but probably would have less of an objection from evil gods who disdain such subtlety.
I agree that it doesn't really make sense from an in-setting standpoint for a goddess like Lolth to mark her followers like that, but I think these supernatural markings are more gamist in intent. Having the followers of evil gods visibly marked in a supernatural manner makes it easier to distinguish who the bad guys are supposed to be, rather than suspecting all drow of possibly being evil Lolth worshipers.

Of course, I'm curious if all Lolthite drow are supposed to have these markings or only some of them. If it is all of them, how do they react to non-marked drow?

Aldarc

Legend
Maybe we should wait for additional information or at least a reliable source on how the markings and the like will work.

Remathilis

Legend
I think the "Gods as abusive parents who use their children as tools to advance their divine grudges." angle that 5e started with is brilliant, but nobody ever seems to acknowledge it exists.

OK, so this has been bugging me for a while, so I'm going to ask it here:

Why is it ALWAYS orcs and drow? Why is nobody agitating for representation of good ogres, or duergar who don't worship Laduguer?
Popularity.

Both orcs and dark elves played prominent roles in a lot of video games (Warcraft, Elder Scrolls) and in other fantasy media as playable characters, often with a darker edge than the classic other fantasy races. They kinda ended up the poster children for the whole "humanoid monster" problem because people coming from playing the Horde or the Dunmer are kinda shocked how one dimensional the classic D&D depictions are.

That being said, there is a real potential to utterly remove the edge on these races that made them attractive in the first place. The Horde is still violent and destructive. The Dunmer are slave owners and backstabbers. While not mustache-twirling evil, they aren't exactly good neighbors either. Afaik, I haven't seen the same kind of backlash against WoW or TES for their orcs and dark elves, despite having some rather negative elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads