• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I turned a friend on to the SONG OF ICE & FIRE series (SPOILERS)

Eosin the Red

First Post
Yep Doc, he is from the Hedge Knight short story. Just so you know the story has absolutely shattering implications for the series. GRRM does not let his ruthless side slip on this one either, same terrible goodness.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
There is supposed to be another 'Legends' series of stories edited by Robert Silverberg inwhich GRRM is going to have "The Sworn Sword' which is going to be another Dunk and Egg story. Read "The Hedge Knight" to understand Dunk and Egg. :)

King_Stannis

Explorer
Eosin the Red said:
Yep Doc, he is from the Hedge Knight short story. Just so you know the story has absolutely shattering implications for the series. GRRM does not let his ruthless side slip on this one either, same terrible goodness.

Can you elaborate? I have read the series and am starting to reread it in anticipation of AFfC. I've also read The Hedge Knight, but the implications are eluding me. Excuse my brain fart....:)

Last edited:

Eosin the Red

First Post
SPOILER FOR THE HEDGE KNIGHT

I have not read the story since it came out so I am not an expert but the hedge knights sets a chain of events in motion to horrible ends. IRC, because of the story, the line of succession is radically altered allowing the 'looser' branch of the Targarrions to come into power - paving the way for the events of rebellion that preceed our story. I was joking earlier about wanting Dunk to accept his punishment but it did cross my mind that in a way he is to blame for much of the woes that have come to the Seven Kingdoms.

Anyone want to correct my failing memory? I think I know what I am reading tomorrow at work :D

King_Stannis

Explorer
Thanks Eosin. Now that you say it, and thinking back to the story, it sounds like that's correct.

Still, no "Hedge Knight" - no "Song of Ice and Fire". ;)

What a wonderful world, though, that Martin has created, eh? The characters that are many levels deep. It is a crime that no one has at least tried to make an RPG sourcebook for the world.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads