I want to play an "Uncle Buck" style rogue.

Rune

Once A Fool
Think about it. Probably couldn't hide if he wanted to, probably would sneak-attack if he had to, but would prefer to avoid physical confrontation as much as possible (and actively make that happen).

And with the bluff, charisma, and contacts to get the job done. Effective, but not physically so.

Also, there would need to be a good mechanic for earning your primary income through cheating at gambling.

This is the kind of rogue I wanna play. I hope the new edition makes it possible.

LostSoul

Adventurer
220px-Uncle_buck.jpg

rkwoodard

First Post
what would you do ?

Think about it. Probably couldn't hide if he wanted to, probably would sneak-attack if he had to, but would prefer to avoid physical confrontation as much as possible (and actively make that happen).

And with the bluff, charisma, and contacts to get the job done. Effective, but not physically so.

Also, there would need to be a good mechanic for earning your primary income through cheating at gambling.

This is the kind of rogue I wanna play. I hope the new edition makes it possible.

This sounds like a fun character. And it something like the Dresden RPG (Fate System) would be both easy to build and easy to play in a game.

But, what would this character do in a D&D Adventure?

Lets say the rules support this build 100%, would the adventures support this style of character.

RK

rkwoodard

First Post
my bias

It would in some of the campaigns I have run. Not everyone runs dungeons or campaigns that are heavy in monster slaying.

True. I guess it is my own bias. To me, I rely on D&D (whatever edition) to be my Monster Slaying game. While that does not have to be the case, I just have other games that I feel do the non dungeon/slaying campaigns better.

I do hope that there is a lot of room for not only the standard archetypes, but a lot of room for these other type of archetypes as well.

RK

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
This sounds like a fun character. And it something like the Dresden RPG (Fate System) would be both easy to build and easy to play in a game.

But, what would this character do in a D&D Adventure?

Lets say the rules support this build 100%, would the adventures support this style of character.

RK

The base assumption of a D&D adventure/campaign is too dangerous and has a bit too many combats for the actual Uncle Buck. The traditional D&D game will involve exploring a dungeon and encountering a dragon eventually, stuff the actually Uncle Buck would suck at.

But a charismatic and cool trickster rogue could work. And there are many combat and exploration light games.

Remove ads