(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 1

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Eoghan turned toward Tenibor and barked out in a hard tone unlike heard from the firbolg before: ::The portal was sloppy, we disturbed this one. We will deal with this later.::

Followed mentally with ~<Abject appologies.>~.

The firbolg bowed his head to the stone giant before continuing ::As you say mighty Utharn, we are lower than even our hill cousins in the Ordning -- a fact making any call folly to ignore, even when just whispered. But by that same ranking, it surprises me that Laerthar and, dare I pronounce his name, Thyffon, would be here. Why would one of the Skyejotun lower themselves?::

Head bent, both to watch his fingering and to show proper respect to a stone giant, Eoghan sent thoughts like arrows to his companions.

~<I could ask this giant of stone to bring us to the feast hall and introduce us as emissaries from the feywild. They would know of us, but if we are careful might be able to find out all about their plans and then sneak away. But we have less than an hour before this one knows he has been charmed. Or, we may take him out and continue infiltrating while they feast.>~

OOC: Our mission was to gather information. But from a player side with only a few of the characters speaking Giant I doubt that would be a satisfying direction for us as a whole. So while Eoghan made the suggestion, as a player I think we'll have more fun if we go a different route where we all get more spotlight. We got a lot of information about the alliance, including the stone giant thane who wouldn't normally do this, and that even cloud giants are involved. Oh, and most are at a feast right now so it's our best time to infiltrate. Not sure if there's much more to get out of him.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
~I say enough talk. We got what we could outa this fella, and it's time for him to take a long nap,~ Jack conveys to the others.

With his back still leaning against the large chest, The Knife quietly pulls out his crossbow and places a bolt in it...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
While his attitude was still friendly, the giant was beginning to ask Eoghan questions that would eventually prove difficult to lie about. It was obvious to Eoghan that there was a lot of complex giant-related politics involved, and while this assistant to the stone giant emissary seemed to know a lot of giant politics, he either didn't know much specifics, or wouldn't speak of them to a lower caste. Either way, they had what they could get for now.

Now it was time to end this, as quickly and quietly as possible.

OOC: Okay, here's my 'Round-Roller'. When you see me say "Begin Round X" you can post a turn. I will resolve stuff in whatever order I find easiest, and then I'll post another one that will tell you "End Round X; Begin Round Y" and then you can post your next turn. I hope that makes sense. Please audit my status-bar for your character. I may not have kept up with spells cast.

GM: Encounter: Steading Guest Quarters
G1GuestQ1.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: Beds; Visibility: Dim (Brazier); Cover: Woodpile
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells (Etc) * (Notes)
(PCs)
Bible AC19* HP 85/85 HD 9/9 PP16 AS 1/1 2W 1/1 Ind 1/1
Eoghan AC15 HP 75/75 HD 9/9 PP19 SSdc17 4/4 3/3 3/3 3/3 1/1 BI 5/5
Jack AC17 HP 66/66 HD 9/9 PP20 LK 3/3
Quinn AC17* HP 62/62 HD 9/9 PP19 SSdc18 4/4 2/3 3/3 3/3 1/1 WS 1/2 GB 4/4 CO 4/4 ET 1/1 DS 1/1 H 1/1 MS 1/1 Ba 1/1
Tenibor AC13(16) HP 56/56 HD 9/9 PP16* SSdc16 3/4 3/3 3/3 3/3 1/1 WoMM 7/7 LK 2/3
Valda AC19* HP 83/83 HD 9/9 PP15 AS 1/1 2W 1/1 RNdc15 3/3 GM 4/4 RS 4/4 Ind 1/1
(NPCs)
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
Stone Giant AC17 HP126/126 PP14* (Surprised)
GM: Begin Round One

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: I assume the stone giant has a 15' reach? And I take it that Jack is positioned near a wood pile, not a chest.
OOC: Huh, yes. Looking back I thought the chest was between the fireplace and the bed, but it's between the two beds. (The map is currently more zoomed in than I had it.) At some point I realized that that was a wood-pile, but it didn't click until you mentioned it here that Jack had been hiding behind a chest. Let's retcon to this: He has his eye on the chest, but is hiding behind a woodpile. There.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Eoghan strolled away from the stone giant toward his "retainer", each pace counted to get what he thought was outside the grasp of the giant's long arm.

~<Now.>~

He turned towards the giant twice his height.

::Utharn, you sheep-eyed second-fiddle excuse for an observer. You aren't fit to carve into mince pies. I am done with thee.::
, along with a discordant chord on the bandore to lose an empowered jape that enraged the target, basic for any trained lorecaller.

He then backpedaled even more, watching the giant closely and ready to invoke a syllable of a True Word if need be to shift reality a touch.

OOC: Eoghan is going to try to get out of melee range before the start of combat, say to Q70. If Utharn is already hostile, please ignore all movement - he'll stay where he is.
He then casts Vicious Mockery, the reserve save is a 21, and if it hits it does 5 damage and imposes disadvantage on the next attack roll.
Vicious Mockery reverse save & damage: 1D20+9 = [12]+9 = 21
2D4 = [2, 3] = 5
Then he will continue to back up, to S70.

REACTION: He is preparing to use Silvery Barbs as a reaction if the giant would hit an ally. This would force a reroll, and grant advantage on the next attack/check/save to one ally, which would be Reeve Bible.

Also note I have already used a Bardic Inspiration and a 4th level spell, adjusting my quick reference below:
Eoghan AC15 HP 75/75 HD 9/9 PP19 SSdc17 4/4 3/3 3/3 2/3 1/1 BI 4/5

FitzTheRuke

Legend
As Jack quietly loaded his crossbow, and Valda arrived safely (and quietly) in the fireplace, Eoghan made his shift, wandering away from the giant, he suddenly played a discordant note and insulted the giant, who stood, suddenly silently enraged as the charm spell ended.

OOC: Oh yeah, he's mad. But also suprised. Jack can safely shoot him.

Quinn hears the mental shout of now, swoops down the chimney pulling up just in time to avoid the hearth and mantle. He soars into the room flying to the right side away from the giant. As he nears the beds he drops his animal form landing on two feet. At the same instant the druid raises his sickle and speaks softly. A point of light grows at the tip of the implement and streaks towards the giant striking it and sheathing it in a faint glimmer like star light.

OOC: I will use my full 60 ft of movement to fly down the chimney and into the room to U70.
Using my bonus action to drop wild shape.
Casting Guiding Bolt with my Star Map.
Guiding bolt attack and damage: 1d20+10 21 4d6 12

Next attack against the giant has advantage.

Quinn AC17* HP 62/62 HD 9/9 PP19 SSdc18 4/4 3/3 3/3 3/3 1/1 WS 1/2 GB 3/4 CO 4/4 ET 1/1 DS 1/1 H 1/1 MS 1/1 Ba 1/1

Last edited:

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Hearing the chanter's command, Jack grins. He then expertly dodges out of the giant's reach to take a position between the two beds (and conveniently, next to the large chest). Aiming his crossbow at his quarry, he is momentarily distracted by an owl swooping out of the fireplace and into the room.

~What the...?~, he spurts mentally before realizing it's Quinn, who transforms beside him and lances the giant with a bolt of magical energy. His smile broadens as he lets his bolt fly at the now glowing target.

OOC: Jack uses cunning action to disengage if needed (he was behind cover, but just in case) and then moves 30 ft to U71, adjacent to the Quinn.
Sneak attack with light crossbow at advantage: 2D20.HIGH(1)+10 = [12, 17]+10 = 27
1D8+6+5D6 = [2]+6+[5, 2, 2, 4, 1] = 22

Jack AC17 HP 66/66 HD 9/9 PP20 LK 3/3 Ammo 19/20

Remove ads