(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 1

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Quinn did a flyover that encircled the entire steading. He took note of the largest "chimney" (not a chimney in fact, but a mud-and-wooden hole above a large open room with a grand bonfire below. The room was occupied, based on the nose, but Quinn couldn't see in with all the smoke from the bonfire). He noted the kitchen fires based on the smell coming from two smoking chimneys. He stayed high overhead when passing by the dire wolves, and he noted the only other chimney that did not show signs of a fire - the outbuilding's north-east corner. Flying over the spot that they had begun, the gatehouse, and the watchtower, he returned to the company.

OOC: This flyover will take awhile, so we'll have to see where things are at by the time Quinn returns. Eoghan will need to roll (detailed above) to get down without alerting the Stone Giant, (and making a mess). Then Tenibor can safely TP down. Valda and Bible will have to climb, but they'll have advantage, unlike Eoghan, so hopefully they won't cause a ruckus. Oh! Here's a flyover map!

SteadingG1Bird.jpg
OOC: Map Key: 1) Where the party first arrived; 2) The gatehouse (4 ogres); 3) Watchtower (3 sleeping hill giants); 4) The guestroom chimney (1 writing stone giant) PCs are HERE!; 5) Great Hall bonfire chimney; 6) Kitchen chimneys; 7) Courtyard (4 dire wolves); 8) Outbuilding (smokeless chimney)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Eoghan intoned a syllable of a True Word to fortify himself, then climbed down the chimney. Misguided by the narrowness he attempted to brace himself against both walls but could not get a proper grip and began to slip. He felt the syllable reverberate in his bones, more solid then this tumbling form, and without concious consideration waited one beat, two beats then reached out to stop his descent...

OOC: First he gave himself bardic inspiration in ase he needs it at some point. Then attempted to climb down.
STR (Athletics) to climb down the chimney: 1D20+1 = [5]+1 = 6
Missed there was a rope for advantage in the chimney. Other half of advantage.: 1D20+1 = [3]+1 = 4
When that went poorly, he called upon the inspiration to add to his climb check. Was hoping to keep it for a persuasion.
Bardic Inspiration: 1D8 = [7] = 7

Total Athletic check = 6 + 7 = 13. Not sure if that succeeds or fails.

Eoghen AC 15 HP 75/75 PP 19 HD 9/9 BI 4/5 SSdc17 4/4 3/3 3/3 3/3 1/1 dm1/1 ds1/1 HS4/4

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The deep rumbling of the True Word helped Eoghan to save face. In the event, he did not dislodge the large build-up of soot around the old bird's nest, and instead passed safely by. He was a bit sooty, sure, but he ducked under the mantle (in spite of it being a very very large fireplace, he was still tall for it) and stepped out into the room. Tenibor stepped sideways into a fold where the feywild rubbed on the mortal realm, and stepped back out, arriving just behind Eoghan at the hearth.

Bible and Valda would have to climb down, and Quinn was still out circling the steading.

The giant looked up from his slate, and paused as if he wasn't sure if he should speak or reach for a weapon.

OOC: In that beat, it's up to Eoghan. @Blue ?

Blue

::Wait a moment, Friend, and listen,:: Eoghan stated in the giantish tongue, ::You may enjoy this.::

He echoed what he says over the mental link as he pulled out his bandore, obviously an instrument and not a weapon, and began to play and sing.

::A bit unorthodox, but we both know things are messy sometimes. What is your name? What brings you to visit?::

Eoghan walked closer with a relaxed stride, idly strumming.

OOC: I used :: for " around speech in Giant, let me know if you had a different preference and I will change it.
The Fochlucan Bandore grants disadvantage on spells that charm, which this is. I'm not 100% sure how you want me to reverse this so I'll just give you all of the relevant numbers.
My save DC is normally 17 (+4 Proficiency, +5 Charisma). Here's a roll with advantage with the +9.
Charm Monster with disadvantage on saves, reversed: 2D20.HIGH(1)+9 = [20, 14]+9 = 29
The first was a nat 20, the best I can roll, so my guess is he's charmed and I continued with that just to keep things moving.

Eoghen AC 15 HP 75/75 PP 19 HD 9/9 BI 4/5 SSdc17 4/4 3/3 3/3 2/3 1/1 dm1/1 ds1/1 HS4/4

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The giant sat back on the beds big furs and enjoyed the entertainment that had suddenly appeared in his room. He answered, ::I am Utharn, assistant to Laerthar, emissary to Thane Arnak. We are here to oversee our part of the alliance.::

OOC: Man, the roller is being generous, for the most part. (Of course, there is a lot of 'advantage' around). Sure, that crit would be the same as if I rolled a 1 on the save. Charmed he is.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Tenibor tries to avoid drawing attention to himself.

To the shorter giant ~I may be your servile advisor. ~

He understands Giantish and tries to makes sense of what is being said (check below). Also, confirming that it is a "stone" giant. Also, also ~Firbolg emissary?~

roll 10 on history for an 18.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Tenibor watched and listened as Eoghan first played for, and then spoke to the Stone Giant. Thane Arnak was a name that Tenibor had heard, the king of a band of stone giants from a crag-warren somewhere in the Lofty Mountains. Arnak was not known to cause trouble for the smaller folk - a fair and just thane by all reports.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Jack stays hidden behind the chest, keeping an eye on the doors while soaking in his surroundings. ~Best to let these folk with wiser tongues do the talking,~ he thinks not quite to himself.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
But alliance has to mean alliance with these horrible, marauding giants. There is a mystery here.

This the sort of thing that excites him, though he tries to contain himself. He knows that the firbolg is in a better position to speak, for several reasons.

~His kind seeking an alliance with the murderous hill giants is strange indeed.~

Blue

::Indeed, mighty Utharn, the alliance. Where has Nostra upheld the expectations, and where has he fallen short?::

In his head, after Eoghan translated everything the giant was saying he added, ~<We were told that mixed bands of giants were marauding, but an alliance with observers feels more formal.>~

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases