(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 1

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Valda stays up in the guardhouse, keeping an eye on the two sleeping giants while the others discuss their next move.

"Would it be possible to get a rope across to the roof? I have a grappling hook in my pack if that helps."

She otherwise continues keeping watch quietly.

OOC:
Wisdom (Perception): 1D20+5 = [7]+5 = 12
Just in case it's needed. I'm going to be out of town until Sunday night, so I probably won't be posting much in that time, but don't let that hold the rest of you up.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Hearing Quinn’s report, Jack creeps back up the stairs to the watchtower.

~Valda, let’s move the rope to the other support pillar so we can get down to the roof. Once there, we can use your rope with the grappling hook to get down the chimney. Hope the big fella can fit. Let's go.~

OOC: Jack will untie the rope they used to get up and retie it to the support pillar near the roof. He'll then lead the party down, across the roof and to the chimney Quinn found with no smoke. Once there, he'll climb the chimney to secure Valda's rope with the grappling hook, while listening for any noises below.

Climb down rope with advantage: 2D20.HIGH(2)+4 = [1, 20]+4 = 25
Ying and yang!

Climb up chimney: 1D20+4 = [14]+4 = 18
Stealth: 1D20+23 = [1]+23 = 24
Attach grappling hook to chimney: 1D20+9 = [6]+9 = 15
Listen down the chimney: 1D20+10 = [5]+10 = 15

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Hearing Quinn’s report, Jack creeps back up the stairs to the watchtower.

~Valda, let’s move the rope to the other support pillar so we can get down to the roof. Once there, we can use your rope with the grappling hook to get down the chimney. Hope the big fella can fit. Let's go.~

OOC: Jack will untie the rope they used to get up and retie it to the support pillar near the roof. He'll then lead the party down, across the roof and to the chimney Quinn found with no smoke. Once there, he'll climb the chimney to secure Valda's rope with the grappling hook, while listening for any noises below.

Climb down rope with advantage: 2D20.HIGH(2)+4 = [1, 20]+4 = 25
Ying and yang!

Climb up chimney: 1D20+4 = [14]+4 = 18
Stealth: 1D20+23 = [1]+23 = 24
Attach grappling hook to chimney: 1D20+9 = [6]+9 = 15
Listen down the chimney: 1D20+10 = [5]+10 = 15
OOC: and I see I messed up the formula for the advantage roll, but will get it right next time. The climb down should be a 24.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
"I'm with Jack," Bible thinks to the others. "Poppin' down the chimney seems like the right idear to me. Kitchens got chimneys, and this could be one. Maybe they're keepin' the prisoners in there anyways."

She follows Jack over to the chimney, ready to climb up and lower herself down the rope once he gives an all clear.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
OOC: upthread the DM said 25’ down to the roof from the watchtower. So we reposition the rope we used to get up to the tower so we can lower ourselves down to the roof. We can then jaunt across the roof to the chimney that the Druid spotted. I don’t think we know how far it is from the tower to the chimney. I’m assuming the top of chimney is 10-15 feet above the roof, but again that unstated.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The company moved on from the watchtower, dropping the rope over the north side and sliding down onto the roof. Quinn-the-owl untied the rope with his beak, and Valda wound it back up while attaching her grappling hook. They followed the edge of the roof westward, to the stones of a large chimney, and Jack hopped up on it and peered down into sooty darkness. He wedged Valda's grappling hook onto an appropriate stone, and slowly lowered the rope one arm's length at a time, until he felt it softly touch bottom, about twenty-five feet down.

While Jack was doing this, the others kept watch on the giant in the watchtower, who woke, scratched his bum, took a look southward into the growing dusk, decided that it was all clear, and put his big stupid head back down on his arm. For that tense moment, everyone froze, and then continued with the task.

Quinn, still in owl form, circled silently overhead.

When Jack was done, he slid down the chimney, going hand-over-hand with the rope. He passed large build-ups of soot and an old abandoned bird's nest, which he was careful not to knock free with his feet. When he got near the bottom, he flipped around, wrapping one leg around the rope, and slowly lowered his head to the hearth, which had a fresh but unlit wood-pile.

Jack looked into a spacious room lit by the fire of an iron brazier that hung from the rafters. The walls were adorned with racks of antlers, cured animal furs and skins, and the heads of various beasts, as well as the heads of a dwarf, an elf, and three humans. Three long, giant-sized beds heaped with furs were pushed into the corners of the room, and sitting on one of them was a stone giant. A large wooden chest was pushed against the outer wall, between Jack and the giant, who was scratching at a large stone writing-slate with a chisel-like pen.

OOC: It may have been hard to tell, what with the doubling up of the watchtower on the map, but you could see the distance to the chimney (15 feet north, 35 feet west from the north-west corner of the tower). I'm going to skip a bunch of rolling (at this point it's clear to me that even on a 1, the giants can't spot you with PWoT going). You do need to roll to go down the chimney, but I used Jack's 18 (no need to roll to get up on the chimney, it's about 6 feet over the high-side of the roof) for him to slide down. But what to do about the stone giant? Quinn can fly down the chimney, but he'll have to roll a dc12 dexterity save at the bottom to swoop out without crashing (momentum from flying straight down - failure would be 7 damage & prone). Obviously, the giant would see this. I guess the question is: Do you want to go into this room?

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: Oh, @Lidgar, you should roll athletics for Jack if he wants to climb back up. DC is still 12, with advantage, but failure will mean knocking off soot buildup around the birds' nest, which will make a cloud of soot burst out into the room. This goes for anyone climbing down. Eoghan will have disadvantage from his size, leaving him at a straight check. Of course, you may chose to discuss other options. I guess Jack can report telepathically, and you can choose with him still down at the end of the rope.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Eoghen paused after crossing to the chimney to send his thoghts out in responce to Jack's infiltration: ~<We are supposed to find out what is going on - I do wonder what he is writing. And one of the stone brethren may be an outsider. While the chimney is a suspicion-drawing manner of entry, I could try to talk to him in the guise of a giant of the hill. Under the assumption he wouldn't know all of them by sight or deed. Alternatively I know an elder chant that would have a very good chance to charm him for an hour, but after that he would know his will had been shifted.>~

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Eoghan was reminded, looking down the chimney while thinking about going down, and comparing it to the Hill Giants that they had seen in the watchtower, that the only 'guise' that would be remotely believable, would be as a hill giant child. The giants themselves could scarcely get a single leg into the chimney.

Remove ads