• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC [DW] From the Outside

GlassEye

Adventurer
Trickle & Khirynnax

Trickle shrugs and follows along in the knight's wake down to the keep as does Khirynnax. "I'm not one to pass up on the comforts of civilization."

Once in the keep of Lord Pemberton Trickle is quick to take advantage of the offered amenities. He washes, shakes the dirt out of his clothing as best he can, and slicks his hair back before rejoining the others for a bite of food. "Our thanks to your lord."

Khirynnax accepts the hospitality and when the Lord Pemberton finally arrives home he allows the others to carry on the lion's share of the conversation. He does take note of the Warden's name, Brand Torak, as someone he'll want to talk to sooner rather than later.

[sblock=Khirynnax & Trickle][sblock=Trickle][section]
Trickle
Human Thief (level 1; 0 xp)
Shifty Eyes, Cropped Hair, Fancy Clothes, Lithe Body

STR 9 DEX 16 (+2) CON 12 INT 15 (+1) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 8 (-1)
Max. hp: 18 Current hp: 18

Alignment: Neutral: Avoid detection or infiltrate a location.

Gear: (Load 6/9) – Base Dmg: d8
Dagger (hand, 1 wt.) and Short sword (close, 1 wt.)
Ragged bow (near, 2 wt.) and bundle of arrows (3 ammo, 1 wt.)
Adventuring gear (1 wt.)
Bloodweed poison (touch, 3 uses): target deals -1d4 damage ongoing until cured

[sblock=Thief Moves]Human: When you spout lore or discern realities about criminal activities take +1

Trap Expert: When you spend a moment to survey a dangerous area, roll+Dex (2d6+2)
10+: hold 3
7-9: hold 1
Spend hold as you walk through area to ask questions:
  • Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
  • What does the trap do when activated?
  • What else is hidden here?
Tricks of the Trade: When you pick locks or disable traps, roll+Dex
10+: you do it, no problem
7-9: you do it, but GM offers two options between suspicion, danger, or cost.

Backstab: When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy with a melee weapon, you can choose to roll your damage or roll+Dex
10+: choose two
7-9: choose one
  • You don’t get into melee with them
  • You deal your damage +1d6
  • You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it
  • Reduce their armor by 1 until they repair it
Flexible Morals: When someone tries to detect your alignment you can tell them any alignment you like

Poisoner: Bloodweed (touch) is no longer dangerous for you to use. When you have time to gather materials and a safe place to brew you can make three uses of Bloodweed for free.
[/sblock][sblock=Bonds and Backgrounds]
I stole something from Needles.
Slice has my back when something goes wrong.
*** knows incriminating details about me.

After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will teach Trickle the secret of Witch's Tears.

In the course of his work Trickle came across a poisoner’s tome (no longer in his possession) that described a potent poison called Witch’s Tears. The poisoner learned the formula for the poison (frustratingly not written down in the book) from a powerful unseelie sorcerer, a troll…
[/sblock]​
[/section][/sblock][sblock=Khirynnax][section]
Khirynnax Skinchanger, AKA Khir
Elven Druid (level 1; 0 xp)
Wild Eyes, Messy Hair, Practical Leathers

STR 15 (+1) DEX 12 CON 13 (+1) INT 9 WIS 16 (+2) CHA 8 (-1)
Max. hp: 19 Current hp: 19

Alignment: Neutral: Eliminate an unnatural menace.

Gear: (Load 3/7) – Base Dmg: d6
Token of the Mire: the Copper Coil, age-blackened armband in shape of snake
Hide armor (1 armor, 1 wt.)
Staff (close, two-handed, 1 wt.)
Poultices and herbs (2 uses, 1 wt.)

[sblock=Druid Moves]
Elf: In addition to any other attunements, the Great Forest is always considered your land.

Born of the Soil: Attuned to the Stinking Mire—when shapeshifting you may take the shape of any animal who might live in your land. Your tell (a crown of ivy) remains no matter what shape you take.

By Nature Sustained: You don’t need to eat or drink. If a move tells you to mark off a ration just ignore it.

Spirit Tongue: The grunts, barks, chirps, and calls of the creatures of the wild are as language to you. You can understand any animal native to your land or akin to one whose essence you have studied.

Shapeshifter: When you call upon the spirits to change your shape, roll+WIS.
10+ hold 3
7-9 hold 2
On a miss hold 1 in addition to whatever the GM says.
You may take on the physical form of any species whose essence you have studied or who lives in your land: you and your possessions meld into a perfect copy of the species’ form. You have any innate abilities and weaknesses of the form: claws, wings, gills, breathing water instead of air. You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder to trigger. The GM will also tell you one or more moves associated with your new form. Spend 1 hold to make that move. Once you are out of hold you return to your natural form. At any time, you may spend all your hold and revert to your natural form.

Studied Essence: When you spend time in contemplation of an animal spirit, you may add its species to those you can assume using shapeshifting.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Bonds and Background]
*** smells more like prey than a hunter.
The spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows Slice.
I have showed Needles a secret rite of the land.
*** has tasted my blood and I theirs. We are bound by it.

After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will reveal a secret of the fae's primordial essence.

Khirynnax was an outsider, too fey for the humans, too unseelie for the elves. He didn’t care because he sensed a deeper essence, pure and powerful, that he needed to understand. When a halfling told him there was one who could put him on the path that might lead to his understanding Khirynnax didn’t hesitate. He made his way to the Witching Troll and readily accepted the bargain of service that the troll required as payment.
[/sblock]​
[/section][/sblock][/sblock]

TillForPie

First Post
Hawthorne is grateful at the offer of being able to clean up, and of being able to dine on food not prepared by her own hands. She happily rinses off the road dust and partakes of the pleasant meal before going led on to where Tristan is sitting and waiting for the lord.

"Good Knight! I say, you do travel rather fast. What a lovely place you have found, village and keep both. I will admit, I more often counsel the children of nobility, rather than the nobility themselves. What have you to say to them here? My own questions more involve a place we were bid... A place we are going," Hawthorne says, hoping he won't pick up on her slip. She doubts that Sir Tristan has much need of a being like the Witching Troll, and she could make him uncomfortable in the extreme.
Prior to Lord Pemberton's arrival.
If Tristan did notice her verbal misstep he makes no indication of it. "It is the right of it for me to introduce myself to a lord prior to conducting business in his land." He continues, as an afterthought, "And should he offer assistance or resupply, I wouldn't refuse it. He'll want the beast removed from his land as much as I."

Lord Pemberton frowns slightly.

"These are indeed troubled days. I have heard of talk in the village of a beast howling in the Weir-wood. Brand Torak is the man to talk to. He is the Warden and knows more than anyone about the goings on the in the region."

[sblock=OCC]Something in the room, not Lord Pemberton, humms with a malevolent intensity. It seems to be emanating from a painting on a nearby wall. The painting is of a knight and his lady relaxing in a garden. Several servants populate the background. The style of the clothes suggests that it a few decades old at least.[/sblock]
Tristan's eyes catch a glimpse of the painting but he doesn't immediately speak of it to Pemberton. "Thank you, m'lord. I'll speak with the man." Tristan puts a hand on the pommel of his sword and pulls it free from his belt by a few inches to reveal the rusted base of its blade. "My weapon is in a poor state. I've imposed on your hospitality already but my quest demands of me that I ask if you have a replacement to spare." He pushes his weapon back into his belt. "I will not quit your lands until they're relieved of the monster, you have my word."

When it looks like the conversation is drawing to a close Tristan will gesture to the painting that had vexed him. "I must compliment you, m'lord. Truly I haven't seen a dirt scratching these last months in the wilds, much less a painting. It is quality work, easy on the eyes." He hopes to learn more about it but won't push the issue if Pemberton isn't forthcoming.

[sblock=Tristan Le Pennec][section]
Tristan Le Pennec
Human Paladin
Looks Glowing Eyes, Helmeted, Worn Holy Symbol, Bulky Body
Alignment Lawful: Deny mercy to a criminal or unbeliever

Maximum Health 25 Current Health 25 Armor 3 Base Damage 1d10
STR 16 (+2) CON 15 (+1) DEX 8 (-1) INT 12 (+0) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 9 (+0)

Gear (Load 6/28)
Long Sword (close, +1 damage, 1 weight)
Shield (+1 armor, 1 weight)
Scale Armor (+2 armor, 3 weight)
Medallion of Our Virgin Mother the Lady of Tranquility (0 weight)
Adventuring Gear (1 weight)​

[sblock=Paladin Moves]Human When you pray for guidance, even for a moment, and ask, “What here is evil?” the GM will tell you, honestly.

Lay on Hands When you touch someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being, roll+CHA. On a 10+ you heal 1d8 damage or remove one disease. On a 7–9, they are healed, but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

Armored You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

I am the Law When you give an NPC an order based on your divine authority, roll+Cha. On a 7+, they choose one: Do what you say; Back away cautiously, then flee, or; Attack you. On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.[/sblock][sblock=Quest and Bonds]Quest
Tristan's quest is to slay the monster, a great blight on the land.
His boons are
Invulnerability to bite damage, and
A freedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep.[/sblock]
[/section][/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day Five, late afternoon in the Hall of the Keep

Lord Pemberton greets each of Tristan's travelling companions warmly inviting each to pull up a seat and join them by the fire. With his boots off and his bare feet warming before the fire, he doesn't seem like a man who stands much on ceremony. He is dressed in simple clothes with no sign of any crest or device. His face is weatherbeaten and his hands course and ingrained with dirt. Without knowing who he was, he would more likely to be taken for a successful yeoman farmer than Lord.

During the course of the conversation, Tillian arrives to bring his Lord a message.

"My good wife is delayed and will be remaining in Thornstead for the night. As the evening looks to be a fine one, and Three-Fingered Jake is in town, I think that I shall take my evening meal in the tavern. You are, of course, welcome to join me as my guests."

Tristan's eyes catch a glimpse of the painting but he doesn't immediately speak of it to Pemberton. "Thank you, m'lord. I'll speak with the man." Tristan puts a hand on the pommel of his sword and pulls it free from his belt by a few inches to reveal the rusted base of its blade. "My weapon is in a poor state. I've imposed on your hospitality already but my quest demands of me that I ask if you have a replacement to spare." He pushes his weapon back into his belt. "I will not quit your lands until they're relieved of the monster, you have my word."

Lord Pemberton takes the blade and inspects it for a moment before handing it back. "Indeed it is a great shame to see a fine blade in such a state." [1]

When it looks like the conversation is drawing to a close Tristan will gesture to the painting that had vexed him. "I must compliment you, m'lord. Truly I haven't seen a dirt scratching these last months in the wilds, much less a painting. It is quality work, easy on the eyes." He hopes to learn more about it but won't push the issue if Pemberton isn't forthcoming.

Lord Pemberton glances over at the painting. "Ah, yes. That's my grandfather and grandmother in the grounds of Castle Brockendale. He was a difficult man by all accounts. I never met him. My Grandmother I remember vaguely. She didn't believe in talking to children." He looks wistful for a moment.

"My wife can't abide the picture. She keeps having it moved out of the hall whenever I am away." he laughs. "I have learnt more about this keep hunting for that picture than I ever did growing up here."

[sblock=OOC][1]Sounds like a Parley move. Roll+CHA.[/sblock]

TillForPie

First Post
"My good wife is delayed and will be remaining in Thornstead for the night. As the evening looks to be a fine one, and Three-Fingered Jake is in town, I think that I shall take my evening meal in the tavern. You are, of course, welcome to join me as my guests."
"It would please me." Tristan nods his assent.

doghead said:
Lord Pemberton takes the blade and inspects it for a moment before handing it back. "Indeed it is a great shame to see a fine blade in such a state." [1]
[sblock=OOC][1]Sounds like a Parley move. Roll+CHA.[/sblock]
Rolled a 5+0 on 1d10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzE4ILFgHzo

Tristan Le Pennec
Human Paladin

Gear (Load 6/28)

[sblock=Paladin Moves]Human When you pray for guidance, even for a moment, and ask, “What here is evil?” the GM will tell you, honestly.

Lay on Hands When you touch someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being, roll+CHA. On a 10+ you heal 1d8 damage or remove one disease. On a 7–9, they are healed, but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

I am the Law When you give an NPC an order based on your divine authority, roll+Cha. On a 7+, they choose one: Do what you say; Back away cautiously, then flee, or; Attack you. On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.[/sblock][sblock=Quest and Bonds]Quest
His boons are
A freedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep.[/sblock]
[/section][/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Trickle & Khirynnax

Khirynnax remembered his days at court; he hated every moment until he could get out from the harsh and judging gazes of the foppish nobility and into the wild surrounded by the myriad energies of its teeming life. Lord Pemberton seemed different than the nobles of the fey court, however, and if it was necessary to get them closer to the task at hand then he'd dust off whatever courtly skills he had and do what he must.

"Lord Pemberton, I am simply known as Khirynnax. My other companions are Hawthorne, priestess of Ushane, and a common man who goes by the name of Trickle. Your hospitality has been a relief to us and we are greatly thankful. We would be pleased to see more of your domain and be your guests tonight in town."

Trickle smiles wide and nods his agreement though surprised at the sudden courtly speech exhibited by the wild and surly elf.

Trickle

Adventuring gear (1 wt.)

[sblock=Thief Moves]Human: When you spout lore or discern realities about criminal activities take +1

Trap Expert: When you spend a moment to survey a dangerous area, roll+Dex (2d6+2)

Backstab: When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy with a melee weapon, you can choose to roll your damage or roll+Dex
Flexible Morals: When someone tries to detect your alignment you can tell them any alignment you like

Poisoner: Bloodweed (touch) is no longer dangerous for you to use. When you have time to gather materials and a safe place to brew you can make three uses of Bloodweed for free.

After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will teach Trickle the secret of Witch's Tears.

In the course of his work Trickle came across a poisoner’s tome (no longer in his possession) that described a potent poison called Witch’s Tears. The poisoner learned the formula for the poison (frustratingly not written down in the book) from a powerful unseelie sorcerer, a troll…
[/sblock]​

[sblock=Druid Moves]
Elf: In addition to any other attunements, the Great Forest is always considered your land.

Born of the Soil: Attuned to the Stinking Mire—when shapeshifting you may take the shape of any animal who might live in your land. Your tell (a crown of ivy) remains no matter what shape you take.

By Nature Sustained: You don’t need to eat or drink. If a move tells you to mark off a ration just ignore it.

Spirit Tongue: The grunts, barks, chirps, and calls of the creatures of the wild are as language to you. You can understand any animal native to your land or akin to one whose essence you have studied.

10+ hold 3
7-9 hold 2
You may take on the physical form of any species whose essence you have studied or who lives in your land: you and your possessions meld into a perfect copy of the species’ form. You have any innate abilities and weaknesses of the form: claws, wings, gills, breathing water instead of air. You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder to trigger. The GM will also tell you one or more moves associated with your new form. Spend 1 hold to make that move. Once you are out of hold you return to your natural form. At any time, you may spend all your hold and revert to your natural form.

Studied Essence: When you spend time in contemplation of an animal spirit, you may add its species to those you can assume using shapeshifting.
[/sblock]

After a year and a day of service the Witching Troll will reveal a secret of the fae's primordial essence.

Khirynnax was an outsider, too fey for the humans, too unseelie for the elves. He didn’t care because he sensed a deeper essence, pure and powerful, that he needed to understand. When a halfling told him there was one who could put him on the path that might lead to his understanding Khirynnax didn’t hesitate. He made his way to the Witching Troll and readily accepted the bargain of service that the troll required as payment.
[/sblock]​

doghead

thotd
Day Four, late afternoon, at the Keep

"Lord Pemberton, I am simply known as Khirynnax. My other companions are Hawthorne, priestess of Ushane, and a common man who goes by the name of Trickle. Your hospitality has been a relief to us and we are greatly thankful. We would be pleased to see more of your domain and be your guests tonight in town."

Trickle smiles wide and nods his agreement though surprised at the sudden courtly speech exhibited by the wild and surly elf.

"Greetings Khirynnax [1] and Lady Hawthorne. Welcome to Holdenshire! You must forgive me, I am not overly familiar with Ushane. My Good wife will doubtless know more but will still insist on bombarding you with questions. She has a curious soul. [2]

Lord Pemberton turns to Tristan. "I do not have a such a sword I can spare you. Rorus Klain, the town blacksmith, however, is a capable man, more than able to restore your sword and armour. And perhaps I can help you in return for a favour. [3]

"My good wife is convinced that Castle Brockendale is haunted by a poor unfortunate woman who executed as a witch in the time of my Grandfather. I do not hold with the story, Castle Brockendale was abandoned after a fire, and ... well, financial considers meant it was never repaired. So it remains abandoned to this day. But it would greatly easy my good wife's troubled mind if a holy knight such as yourself were to go there and put to rest the rumour.

"If you can do this for me, I will have Rorus put the cost of any work on your sword and armour on my account."

If no one has any more business with Lord Pemberton, he will pull his boots back on and declare it must be time for an ale or two.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Whew. Thought I had lost the post there for a minute. Yay for Command Z!

[1]GE, how is Khirynnax seen by ordinary 'mundane' strangers? Elves are both creatures of the Monster Kingdom and the mundane world, the former being largely 'unseen' by those of the mundane world. So in Khirynnax do they see an elf, a woodsman with something of an otherworldly quality, or just an ordinary woodsman? As for Druids, do you think that they are common in a place such as Holdenshire, or known mostly by tales and legends?

[2]Isida, what would the ordinary person know of Ushane? Where is her faith strong? What do her detractors say?

[3]Till, DW uses 2d6 vice 1d10. I went with a Soft Move given that the condition of Tristan's sword was something you voluntarily added.
Can you add the vow aspect to Tristan's Quest to his sheet - Vow: Valour (Forbidden - allowing an innocent creature to suffer).[/sblock]

TillForPie

First Post
"Thank you, m'lord. I'll speak with the blacksmith."

Tristan Le Pennec
Human Paladin

Gear (Load 6/28)

His boons are
A freedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep
His vow is one of
Valor - Forbidden: Allowing an innocent creature to suffer[/sblock]
[/section][/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day Four, early evening, The Bleeding Heart Tavern

A couple of the household staff join you in the yard and everyone sets off on foot into town. Unusually, the staff walk alongside their Lord rather than behind. He chats easily with those around him as you head into Hengistead.

Winter is over, and Hengistead is experiencing a warm, dry Spring. The spring sowing and harrowing is almost done. The summer county fair is already being organised, the Fair Committee headed as always by Lady Sybill Pemberton, and the village is its usual bustling, cheerful self.

All is not well, however. There have been problems of late! Howls of an unearthly nature have been echoing across the Weir-wood; and Three-Fingered Jake, the county’s itinerant bard, has been spreading rumours of treasure in the ruins of Brockendale Castle.

All this aside, however, tonight is a warm, balmy evening. Many of the villagers are gathered in and outside the Bleeding Heart Tavern and any troubles seem far away. That night, with a good day's work in the lord's the western fields done, the tavern is busier than usual. Food, drink, and conversation flow easily. Over the course of the night you hear a number of interesting things.

• Brand Torak (The Warden) is aware of the howls from the Weir-wood. He believes the howls to merely be a large wolf. He promises he will deal with it should it show itself in the village.
  • Gavin Morigan (Master of Lord Pemberton's Horse and Hounds) speaks about a strange floating ship he saw in the night sky a few weeks back. He claims it was a schooner under full sail and sailed of to the south.
  • Aus (a young boy) talks about how neat the dragon of Skull Mountain is and how much he thinks it would be cool to see it and talk to it. He clearly has no idea how dangerous dragons are, nor can he be convinced they are anything less than wonderful.
  • Mylani Azalathellon (a local teenager endlessly writing notes in a book), along with a number of others, believes Kalle (the local wizard of course!) is working on something big. Hunchback Roland (Kalle's assistant) has been busy running errands, and purple smoke and strange lights have been seen coming from his tower.
  • Three-Fingered Jake (a wandering bard) talks at length about the rumours of treasure at Brockendale Castle. Apparently, the Pemberton's family sword is a weapon of great power; Lord Pemberton has the sword itself, but when the castle was abandoned in the night of the fire, the former Lord Pemberton had sword in hand. But of the scabbard there has been no sign, and it too is reputed to be an item of power. Lord Pemberton is not pleased by the stories, but holds his peace as Jake is one of the few sources of information about the outside world and the locals look forward to his visits.
  • Ariadne (Brand's niece), has joined Lady Sybill's Autumn fair committee. She has grand plans for the flower arrangement competition. While in Thornbury last week, she thought she saw a small scaly humanoid creature dressed in robes, watching her.
  • Ugg (a giant of a man) is sitting on the ground outside the tavern because he's too big to fit inside. He talks of seeing a 'green lady' out on the Fogmoors being followed around by what he calls 'scalies'.
  • The Mortimer Brothers, well, Gord and Beej (two of a trio of young troublemakers) are sitting with Ugg, outside the tavern, and are concerned that Poke hasn't been seen since they dared him to venture into the Weir-wood at night.
  • Some of the locals may mention trouble at a bridge near Thornbury. A couple of locals mention having been attacked by a crazy old lady at the bridge. One swears she threw a man a dozen feet and nearly broke his skull. Everyone else thinks he's exaggerating out of embarrassment at being bested by an old woman.
  • Stefan Oakfell (a woodsman), tells a strange tale of gypsies in the Queenswood and late night dancing around a bonfire to the strains of unearthly music.
  • The barge-men, speaks of troubles to the east with increasing numbers of bandit raids So far they have avoided the worst of it, but the barge-men are worried.
  • A group of adventurers has been hanging out and making trouble in the area lately. They keep asking about something called Bluestone, but no one knows what this might be. Three-Fingered Jake's tales of treasure at Brokendale Castle have caught their attention, and they whisper quietly among themselves.

[sblock=OOC]That took me way longer than I thought. The idea is to give you a whole bunch of stuff strait up for you to root around in and pick out what you like. I am not sure how this will work, but lets see. Gathering common information (i.e. How do I get to the bridge near Thornbury?) doesn't require any roll. It should, however, help in choosing which questions to ask if making the Discern Realities move.

Where something is noted as 'more than meets the eye', a Discern Realities move is required. However, that doesn't mean you can't do some background work in preparation.[/sblock]

[sblock=Hawthorne, Khirynnax and Trickle]Ugg is more than a giant of a man. He is literally a giant, a young hill giant to be exact (a bit of a runt as hill giants go). None of the villagers seem to be aware of it.

There is more to Freya Aeval than meets the eye.[/sblock]

[sblock=Tristan]There is more to Ugg than meets the eye. None of the villagers seem to be aware of anything unusual. He is not evil.

Tamas Agrens, a local who wander's into the tavern a bit later but keeps to himself, reeks of evil.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Trickle & Khirynnax

Trickle enjoys the ale and casual atmosphere of the yard of the Bleeding Heart tavern. He mingles around the clusters of villagers but gravitates to Three-Fingered Jake and the Mortimer Brothers. Any rumor of treasure catches his attention and so he mentally marks Brockendale Castle as an Important Place and one to be visited sooner rather than later. As for Gord and Beej, they seem to be young fellows of similar mindset and he'll make up grisly stories (with a touch of truth based on his recent experiences) of what lurks in the wood but assure them that Poke is probably off somewhere having a drink and a laugh at their expense.

A woman catches his eye. Something about her plucks at his danger sense and his eyes narrow (and go all the shiftier, if that is possible) as he tries to figure out the mystery. He saunters over and gives his best, rakish grin. "Good evening, missus. Nice night, don't you think? My friends call me Trickle. Well, everyone does. How 'bout a drink?"

Khirynnax generally stays around the edge of the crowd. His experience is that he makes men uncomfortable and wary. However, when Brand Torak mentions the wolf Khirynnax feels compeled to mention the large wolf that the group saw as they traveled through the forest.

Otherwise, Khirynnax is drawn to Ugg, both for his unusual nature and the story that he has to tell. Khirynnax tries to pick the fact from the fiction in the tale and figure out what this 'green lady' might be. He suspects a fey creature of some sort.

[sblock=OOC/Actions]
Trickle: Spout Lore about the forest. [roll0]Spout Lore (2d6+1=6)

Trickle: Discern Realities about Freya Aeval. [roll1]Discern Realities (2d6+1=8)
Note: Maybe I'm overlooking it, but I don't see mention of a Freya Aeval other than in the OOC note to HK&T.

Khirynnax: Discern Realities about the 'green lady' in Ugg's tale. [roll2]Discern Realities (2d6+2=11)

Re: Questions.
Short answer: Otherworldly woodsman.

How are mundane elves seen by mundanes? I think that would affect my answer. Without knowing that for sure I would have to say that Khirynnax is a creature of the border between the fey elves and the elves of the mundane world and as such doesn't fit in either place. For the fey, his obsession and brooding over the mysteries is a bit too unseelie for them. For the mundane, his exposure to the fey/mysteries makes him seem a bit touched and is reflected in his wild eyes. So whether he is seen as elf or woodsman by the mundanes (and I think it would be interesting that while some see him as elf,some don't), the overriding feeling is one of discomfort.

Like elves, there are a lot of different perceptions of druids. I've been operating on the idea that Khirynnax's version of druidism is more seeker after the mysteries of nature and the universe and therefore uncommon. Other forms of druidism (guardians of nature/nature priests/spiritual advisors) would probably be a little more common.[/sblock]

Trickle

Adventuring gear (1 wt.)

[/sblock]​

[sblock=Druid Moves]

10+ hold 3
7-9 hold 2

[/sblock]

[/sblock]​

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Day Four, early evening, The Bleeding Heart Tavern

Gord Mortimer is a little put out by the suggestion that Poke is off having a drink. "He's only 14!" But no real offence is taken, or intended. Gord remains concerned. "He knows his way around well enough. But never should have dared him to try and snag some Weir-wood pelts. The Weir-woods be strange enough at the best of time, but at the moment everything seems even more off kilter."

Three-Fingered Jake is a cheerful chap (although there is a bit of a mean streak to his humour), and not too shabby a performer. Lord Pemberton is not too pleased about the stories Jake spins about treasure in the castle ruins, but bits his tongue and says nothing.

Freya seems somewhat puzzled by the fact that it is Trickle who eyes her curiously, while Khirynnax seems to pay her no heed.

[sblock=Trickle]Your right, Freya is only mentioned as an aside. There are more people in the tavern at various stages of the night than mentioned. Those mentioned are just the ones of interest, or with something of interest to say.

Discern Realities.
* What happened here recently?
* What is about to happen?
* What should I be on the lookout for?
* What here is useful or valuable to me?
* Who’s really in control here?
* What here is not what it appears to be?

An 8 gets you one question from the list (Freya)
An 11 gets you three questions from the list (Ugg/The Green Lady)
You also get to carry +1 forward on actions informed by what you find out.

Spout Lore; a 6 gets you ..., umm. I'll get back to you. You do get to mark 1 XP, IIRC.

I need to wrap this up. but I wanted to give you a chance to think about the Discern Realities questions.

I like the ideas in your response to my questions about Khirynnax. I really need to get the campaign wiki started.[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads