log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

Omu had long since been overgrown with thick vines, enormous ferns, and various trees and bushes. It was slow moving, and while there were plenty of places to hide, there were plenty of places for things to be hidden.

Rodrigo had proven to be keen with a spyglass, and he stayed behind, joining the crew of the Little Star in surveying the nearby area, looking for interesting sites from the safety of the air. Kasqa and Hup'lo manned the shrine, keeping a secure position for everyone to return to. Qawasha and Weed joined Harb, Chrysagon, and Miss Imogen, who worked their way through the overgrowth toward a raised stone road, while the three Tabaxi ranged ahead (or sometimes behind), climbing trees or buildings to have a look around.

It was very hot, and the buzzing of insects was the only sound that carried over the roar of the waterfall. At one point, Weed whistled and waved, having spotted two reddish-leaved vegepygmies in the distance, but they disappeared into the underbrush and were not seen again.

Qwasha had been gathering nuts, leaves, and berries off of various bushes that had once been planted by local farmers, but were now quite wild and overgrown. He found a vine growing up the side of a crumbling building that bore a juicy-looking yellow fruit which was being eaten by a palm-sized ugly beetle.

"You would not think it, but that fruit is quite dangerous to eat, while the beetle is excellent." Qawasha lectured while holding out a cloth to catch the beetle with, "Eating the fruit can cause terrible seizures - the victim appears to dance, jerking about. We call it 'dancing monkey fruit'. The 'yacha' beetle, while not the tastiest thing, can be useful in curing a fever."

They made it to the raised road, where merchants and high-born Omuans would have used to bypass the houses of the common folk. It was made of solid stone blocks and would get them out of the slowing underbrush, but might leave them exposed. The road travelled east and west. The tabaxi were at the top, crouched low, waiting for a consensus on which way to go next.
 

log in or register to remove this ad


Prickly Pear

Explorer
Chrysagon nodded to Miss Imogen's suggestion but added, It is possible that you are right but a little further north is the walled-off part of the city that we saw from the sky. It is bound to be something important inside those walls. Why else build a wall, eh?
Chrysagon looked up at the raised road. It was high and not easy to get up to, unless you were a Tabaxi, of course. He spotted a set of stairs a few hundred feet away to the right. There, he said and pointed, who wants to get up on the road to have a good look around?
 


Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Chrysagon nodded to Miss Imogen's suggestion but added, It is possible that you are right but a little further north is the walled-off part of the city that we saw from the sky. It is bound to be something important inside those walls. Why else build a wall, eh?
Chrysagon looked up at the raised road. It was high and not easy to get up to, unless you were a Tabaxi, of course. He spotted a set of stairs a few hundred feet away to the right. There, he said and pointed, who wants to get up on the road to have a good look around?

The shaman combs his whiskers and keeps playing with a vine he picked up somewhere along the way, binding his hands and unwounding the vine afterwards.
"But the walls can contain other people too. Not original inhabitants, but new tribes. And they may be wary of strangers. Enough so to eat them. I suggest scouting first wherever we go."
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Miss Imogen is impatient. She waits for the men to decide, and sppends her time making her way to the roof of the long, horizontal building. She keeps low, but perhaps has a better view of the surrounding area from there.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
"I suggest we explore the city a bit first. We should try to learn more about who-what lives where before attempting to go into a place that is likely to be well guarded."

With that thoight in mind, harb turned towards the river, though he was leery of entering the road. He did his best to stick close to the nearest buildings and use what cover he could.
 


Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"The river it is. Mighty warriors of my tribe say never to gainsay the wisdom of females."
Shaman joins the group going toward the river.
"We should widen our safe area slowly, not passing through the parts unexplored so we don't get ambushed on the way back. But time is of essence, we cannot just explore blindly. The gods brought us here, lets explore the lava lake or our base after we secure the closest area."
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu
Afternoon
Round 0

Dellrak followed the others, his greataxe ready, listening to the debates. “Let’s search the buildin’s on this side o’ the ‘igh road t’ the east, then work our way through the buildin’s tae the west o’ the rope bridge on the way t’ the river. That shuild protect the bridge an’ the way t’ the temple, clearin’ it as we gae sae we dunnae find any surprises on the way back.”

OOC: Death Curse: You now must spend Hit Dice to regain HP in a Long Rest (as well as a Short one) and you only regain 1 HD at the end of a Long Rest. Additionally, Short Rests take 2 Hours. Everything else about resting follows the usual book-rules.


Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/49 HD: 2/5d10+3
Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 1
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

As Dellrak suggested, the Sticks spent some time searching the buildings nearest their bridge. It was harder going than they expected, and for some time, not nearly as interesting as they hoped and feared. The crumbling buildings contained little of interest but were often difficult to get at. They were choked in vines and in terrible repair. Chrysagon caused part of a wall to collapse as he forced his way in to one and very nearly crushed himself with falling rock.

The spaces between the buildings were overgrown as well, and required hacking, shoving, and tearing one's way through. On top of that, of course, it was unbearably hot. While the two tabaxi hunters stayed to guard the bridge, Myrral stayed on the high stone road that separated the search area from the rest of the ruins to the north. It was a road - but to foreigners it seemed more like a enormous wall. It was fifteen feet high and forty-five feet wide and ran some six-hundred feet from west to east. Qawasha explained that it would have been used only by the merchant and upper class, allowing them to avoid what would have been densely populated and muddy lanes between the buildings of the common people.

They had just finished searching a ruined building to the south - it was similar in layout to their new shrine, except that it was entirely missing its roof and was completely abandoned. They were moving north when three things happened, nearly all at once: Ukee started to screech, and Myrral waved with hand-gestures that indicated that something was flying toward them from the north-east. The Sticks were quickly taking cover in a lane between ruins when a scratching, barking, squeaking noise was heard from a structure to the north-west. From a shadowy alcove an enormous, mangy rat emerged, driven forth by an angry kobold. The rat charged toward Miss Imogen and Harb stepped forward to protect her. As he did, an arrow struck him hard in the shoulder.

No one had seen it fired, but there was one very likely location for the shooter - a fifty-foot tower that stood by the bank of the river about eighty feet from their position. An unseen sniper.

GM: Resolutions
(PCs)
Chrysagon can roll dc12 Dex save for half damage
Harb was shot
Falling Rocks did 10 damage to Chrysagon
Sniper
did 21 (bow) damage to Harb (Sorry!)
 
Last edited:

GM: Encounter: The Sticks vs Various Threats in the Ruins of Omu
OmuRuin1.jpg

Locations:
(BGs) Kobold (AC42); Rat (AF42); Gargoyle (AY27); Sniper (S32);
(PCs) Chrysagon (AI38); Dellrak (AH40); Imogen (AI42); Harb (AG44); Myrral (AI30);
(NPCs) Braapp (AK30); Grrol (AE30); Qawasha (AL48); Weed (AK47); Ukee (AN30)
(General Features) Visibility: "Bright" Terrain: "Overgrown" Difficult Terrain in anything green.
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Chrysagon AC18* HP 26(31?)/36 (Res Nec&Rad) HD 5/5 PP10* SS 3/3 CD 1/1 LoH 22/25
Dellrak AC15 HP 47/49 (Res Psn) HD 2/5 PP15* SS 4/4 2/2
Harb AC15 HP 7/33 HD 5/5 PP14 KI 5/5
Imogen AC17 HP 33/38 THP 0/5 HD 5/5 PP12 SS 2/2 FS 3/3
Myrral AC14 HP 34/34 HD 5/5 PP17* SS 4/4 3/3 2/2 Ins 3/3
(NPCs)
Qawasha AC11(16) HP 27/27 HD 5/5 PP14 SS 2/4 3/3
Kupalue (Weed) AC13 HP 9/9 HD 2/2 PP12*
Ukee AC12 HP 3/3 HD 1/1 PP13
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
Kobold
0; Rat 0; Gargoyle 0; Sniper 0;
GM: Begin Round One
 
Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Omu
Afternoon
Round 1

“Get cover!” Dellrak yelled to the others as the sniper hit Harb. “Imogen! Get that sniper an’ gargoyle!” he yelled to their archer.

With his axe already out for clearing brush and vines, the dwarven ranger rushed forward to the giant rat, swinging hard.

OOC: Death Curse: You now must spend Hit Dice to regain HP in a Long Rest (as well as a Short one) and you only regain 1 HD at the end of a Long Rest. Additionally, Short Rests take 2 Hours. Everything else about resting follows the usual book-rules.


Save:
Move: To AG42
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Attack large rat
Attack 1: Greataxe attack: 1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15
1D12+4 = [2]+4 = 6

Attack 2: Greataxe attack: 1D20+7 = [3]+7 = 10
1D12+4 = [6]+4 = 10

Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits): Planar Warrior damage: 1D8 = [3] = 3
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Greataxe attack: 1D20+7 = [1]+7 = 8
1D12+4 = [1]+4 = 5

Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/49 HD: 2/5d10+3
Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 1
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit

Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:


Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Myrral looks down at the kobold and the rat attacking the whole group. Not seeing seriuos threat to them he moves toward the distant archer. Casting his favorite spell, flying monkeys with spears and clubs swarm around the gargoyle. He always regretted not seeing what his targets saw, he could envision it so clearly in his mind. Just how well it manifested...that was another story.

He waited for the telltale sign of the attacker noticing his spell when he let out a roar of challenge to distract it.

Move: 30' to the right (AO30), using feline agility if needed (due to difficult terrain if any) - bringing Myrral within 12 squares (60') from the gargoyle
Standard: Phantasmal force (int save DC 14) with -3 penalty
Psychic damage; save penalty: 1D6 = [3] = 3
1D8 = [3] = 3

Reaction: cutting words DOESN'T WORK ON SAVES
Move: whatever is left after original move: hide from the archer to maintain concentration without being hit.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Miss Imogen responds to Dellrak, "This is my last arrow!"

She draws back and fires it at the sniper in the tower, but the wood splinters in her hand, having been snapped when she had fallen off the pedestals inside the mosaic room.

"No!" she shouts, incredulous. She moves for cover, the bow in her hand now useless. For a second time that day she finds herself loosening her belt.

She runs for cover, only noticing the rat as she draws near, as she presses her back against the wall.

OOC: Action: Fire at S32. (sharpshooter, ignore cover and range mods). 1d20+4=5 (with advantage) to hit (double 1!).

Move: To AF42 (if possible with difficult terrain) -- ideally wityh a gap between her and the rat, but if not, AG42. This should be out of LOS of the sniper.

Hit points: 33/38+5THP.
Fighting Spirit: one use left.
Action Surge (used already).
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
Searching through the old ruins was both tedious and difficult. Everything was overgrown and some ruin were unstable, which made it very treacherous. At one careless moment, Chrysagon pushed through a wall causing it to collapse on top of him. Curse the Nine Hells!, Chrysagon yelled out and just managed to jump away from the falling bricks, lest he would have been buried under them. Still, plenty of bricks fell on his leg and foot bruising them badly. Chrysagon got up on his feet and was limping for a little bit.

Suddenly, there was lots of activity. Myrral was gesturing at something Chrysagon couldn't see. A rat appeared around the corner of the opposite building and charging towards Imogen. Harb is struck by an arrow from the tall tower. Chrysagon decides to intercept the rat before it reaches Imogen but he needs to keep close to the building across from him. No need to expose oneself, Chrysagon thought as he dashed across lane and towards the rat. His flail was ablaze and he struck the rat hard.

Dex save against falling wall: 1D20-1 = [14]-1 = 13
Move: AF41
Action: Attacking the rat: 1D20+5 = [12]+5 = 17
1D8+5 = [7]+5 = 12


HP: 31/36

And, yes, Chrysagon has used 3 HP of Lay on Hands.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Harb hadn't seen the sniper in the tower, he was focussed on the creatures apparently threatening Miss Imogen. Yet somehow he sensed the arrow and his staff seemed to move of it's own accord, deflecting the shaft from his heart by a few inches. Still, the monk gasped in pain as he ducked around the corner of a building where he could face the rat without giving the archer a target. Once in position, staff and foot flew out, to strike the creature. Neither strike was meant to be fatal, merely to discourage it from moving in their direction, or to incapacitate it, whichever came first.

"You may have what's left of mine, though you may need to use my bow to fire them as well. Let them guard an empty street, we have other problems."

Harb hasa small quiver with 14 arrows and a shortbow on his back.

Quarterstaff + Kick: 1d20+6 21 1d8+3 10 1d20+6 19 1d6+3 6

If the rat tries to move away from yhe group, harb will let it, but if it teies to get past him he'll take an AoO.

Harb has a small quiver with 14 arrows and a shortbow on his back. Shouldn't be too hard to just claim them.
 

Dellrak, Chrysagon, and Harb all moved in on the oversized rat so that Miss Imogen could be safe to take a shot at the hidden sniper. They would have quite surrounded the mangy creature, but as they pushed their way through the underbrush more kobolds and more rats emerged from the dilapidated building's small opening. Quickly Harb found himself surrounded. He left Dellrak to deal with the first rat (a mighty axe swing that did not quite stop the creature, who bit him sharply on the leg), while he knocked over a second one and crushed it under his foot. Two kobolds stabbed at him with their little swords, and he took a scratch.

A third rat passed him by but was intercepted by Chrysagon, who struck it dead with his smouldering flail. Miss Imogen was free to take the shot; and she did, but her arrow was cracked along the shaft and broke apart in mid-air. Still, it would have been an amazing shot as both halves struck the tower near where the sniper must have been. The tower was silent for a moment, as if the sniper might be moving his position.

Stones flew about the little overgrown lane; two were from kobolds (one missing Dellrak, and another striking Chrysagon with an annoying welt). Two more stones came from Weed - the vegepigmy was somewhere in a tree - and killed one of the Kobolds stabbing at Harb. Qawasha peeked out from the garden he had been searching - his walking stick was now a gnarled club.

Up on the raised road, Myrral scampered toward the incoming gargoyle (a gargoyle it was, stone-like, with a twisted demon-like face). He cast his spell and the gargoyle spun around, fighting invisible monkeys in a desperate aerial melee. The tabaxi shaman jumped into the branches of a tall tree and scared Ukee (who was hiding there.) The real winged monkey flew away, shrieking.

From the tower, through a lower window than before, an arrow flew and struck instantly dead one of the stone-slinging kobolds.

GM: Resolutions
(PCs)
Chrysagon did 12 (flail) damage to Rat3 (dead)
Dellrak did 9 (axe) damage to Rat1
Harb
did 10 (staff) & 6 (kick) to Rat2 (dead)
Imogen missed Sniper
Myrral
cast phantasmal force & did 3 (psi) damage to Gargoyle
(NPCs)
Qawasha cast shillelagh
Kupalue did 3 & 6 (sling) damage to Kobold2
Ukee
dashed (flying)
Kobold1 missed Dellrak
Kobold2
did 3 (sword) damage to Harb & died
Kobold3 missed Harb
Kobold4
did 6 (sling) damage to Chrysagon & died
Rat1 did 5 (bite) damage to Dellrak
Rat2
died
Rat3 died
Gargoyle attacked phantasmal force
Sniper did 22 (bow) damage to Kobold4
 

GM: Encounter: The Sticks vs Various Threats in the Ruins of Omu
OmuRuin2.jpg

Locations:
(BGs) Kobold1 (Y47); K2 (AE43, dead); K3 (AD42); K4 (Z44, dead);
Rat1 (AF42); R2 (AG43, dead); R3 (AD43, dead); Gargoyle (AU26); Sniper (S36);
(PCs) Chrysagon (AG42); Dellrak (AF41); Imogen (AI42); Harb (AE42); Myrral (AO33);
(NPCs) Qawasha (AH46); Weed (AL45); Ukee (AM39)
(General Features) Visibility: "Bright" Terrain: "Overgrown" Difficult Terrain in anything green.
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Chrysagon AC18* HP 25/36 (Res Nec&Rad) HD 5/5 PP10* SS 3/3 CD 1/1 LoH 22/25
Dellrak AC15 HP 34/49 (Res Psn) HD 2/5 PP15* SS 4/4 2/2
Harb AC15 HP 13/33 HD 5/5 PP14 KI 4/5
Imogen AC17 HP 33/38 THP 5/5 HD 5/5 PP12 SS 2/2 FS 3/3
Myrral AC14 HP 34/34 HD 4/5 PP17* SS 3/4 2/3 2/2 Ins 3/3
(NPCs)
Qawasha AC11(16) HP 27/27 HD 5/5 PP14 SS 1/4 3/3
Kupalue (Weed) AC13 HP 9/9 HD 2/2 PP12*
Ukee AC12 HP 3/3 HD 1/1 PP13
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
Kobold1
0; K2 0; K2 9 (dead); K3 0; K4 22 (dead);
Rat1 9; R2 12 (dead); R3 16 (dead);
Gargoyle 3; Sniper 0;
GM: End Round One; Begin Round Two
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
Lots of rats had emerged from various holes in the nearby buildings. Chrysagon attacked the next rat that was close to him with another mighty blow of his flail. He then closed the distance to the next kobold.
Chrysagon also noticed that the sniper was attacking the kobolds and yelled out to the others: Watch out! We are not the only targets for the sniper. He just shot a kobold!
Despite having Imogen in the party, Chrysagon assumes that the assassin is a "he".

 

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top