D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly


log in or register to remove this ad

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The disembodied voice from inside the devil's maw said (more in feelings and impressions than in words, understood by all), "I am trapped! Come inside; rescue me! I can aid you!"
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"I too heard the voice," says Miss Imogen, her bow in hand and her quiver at her hip. She looks for a stick or staff with which she can test the maw.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It was easy enough for Imogen to break off a six-foot stretch of root (dirt dropped down from the ceiling, but she expertly avoided it). It wasn't very sturdy - most of the wood was rotting - but it would suffice for a poke.

Putting it into the gaping maw, it reached nothing of any note. The floor was there, where she expected it to be, as was the ceiling. The far walls were unreachable, however. Not without letting her hands go into the inky blackness of the magical darkness - which she was reluctant to allow.
 


KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tomb of Annihilation
Morning
Round 0

“Found a sewer or somethin’,” Dellrak reported to the others. “Water flowin’ in a tunnel, anyway.” He looked over at the stone demon face when he heard the voice. “If there’s treasure, then why dunnae ye grab it an’ bring it oot t’ us?” he asked the voice skeptically. Something was in there, claiming it was trapped and could help.

Miss Imogen stuck a bit of root inside, but didn’t reach the back wall of the thing. “How far in are ye, then?” he asked the voice. He pulled out his fishing tackle to see if he could use the wooden rod to poke in farther without getting his hand into the magical darkness.

***
Torch: 596r (currently out)
0 goodberries

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 58/58 HD: 6/6d10+3
Bolts: Enough

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

MetaVoid

Adventurer
"Maybe we let it be. If it comes after us, great. If not, well, why bother."
Ussal moves past the mouth and goes toward the window, trying to see something on the other side.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Dellrak was tying fishing line to Imogen's root (trying out his own fishing pole in the maw) when Ussal told him to let it be. With the poor state of the wood, the rod would probably break a struggle with any significant weight, but for now, he held a serviceable fishing rod.

Coming up next to Chrysagon, Ussal looked through the crystal window. The eyes on the disc that was held by the bear statues seemed to shift to look at the new arrival. Aside from breaking the crystal window, there appeared to be no way into the tomb.
 
Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
OOC: Sorry. The fishing tackle comes with a wooden rod (basically a fishing pole). That's what Dellrak was going to use to poke deeper into the darkness to see how deep things went. He wasn't using the rotted root and fishing line.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Sshould we keep going thiss way?" Yassah asked Ussal, indicating the direction of the balcony, "Or will you break the crysstal?"

Weed tugged Imogen's arm and tucked a leafy foot down into the grate, showing that it could fit through the bars and check out the waterway beneath, if she thought it was safe and desirable to do so.
 


Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen shakes off Weed, saying "Not yet." Then, to the others, "Shall we try to break the crystal first?"

Assuming no one demurs, she places her hand next to the glass, summoning whatever cold powers she can to see if she can break the glass.

OOC: How big is the "window"? Is it a possible route through? In any case, assuming no one stops her (and folks, please do if you disagree), she will launch a series of Frostbite blasts, perhaps using Mold Earth to clear away debris?
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Imogen had her turn at the glass, peering through into the tomb beyond before taking a look at how it was set into the stone. It seemed like it would be simple enough to pry it out with a tool, or to use her strange leftover cold from her time wearing the Ring of Winter to crack it. She would easily fit through, as would most of the others. Ussal and Ghorakk were very large and would probably have difficulty, though.

Down the other end of the hall, Myrral took a venture to peek around the sides of the balcony. He discovered it to be a grand chamber a hundred feet across and plunging down into darkness below. The stone balcony wound around the walls to connect four archways. Other balcony levels were visible below, though Myrral could not make out how far down it went. To the north, a stone staircase descended to the next level. In addition to the stairs, three hallways stretched off in the northwest, northeast, and east walls, respectively.

RH_GrandStair1.jpg

(General Features: Dim Light, Lower Levels in Darkness)
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen indicates to the others that she thinks she can get through the glass if we want to pursue that possibility.
 
Last edited:


Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen shrugs. "We hare here for destruction. Nothing else. Circumventing the planned routes is more likely to help us than hinder. We know this place has traps; we should consider every possibility."
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Qawasha, still in the form of an ape, was yet able to speak, and said in a voice that sounded unlike his own voice, but like his typical words, "If these tombs hold undead guardians, we should destroy them. Ubtao may return if we cleanse the land."
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tomb of Annihilation
Morning
Round 0

“Traps, aye,” Dellrak noted. “But a big, breakable glass window, tha’ sounds like a trap, tae. Mebbe someone check fer magic?” he suggested. They knew the darkness in the demon mouth was magical, but the window might have some nasty magic on it, as well, for anyone who might think to break it.

***
Torch: 596r (currently out)
0 goodberries

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 58/58 HD: 6/6d10+3
Bolts: Enough

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Miss Imogen shrugs. "We hare here for destruction. Nothing else. Circumventing the planned routes is more likely to help us than hinder. We know this place has traps; we should consider every possibility."
Myrral shrugs.
"I know. And the obvious way forward will be trapped. But by breaking the inviting shortcut, you may miss the clues on the way. Imagine for example the door to that tomb saying it is a paladin trapped inside. We burst in, see the undead and attack a potential ally. Unlikely, I know. But still. I have no strong preference this way or that so...we can break the glass. Just wanted to offer the option. I always found stories with heroes breaking throught the hut roof more interesting than talking the problem through."
 

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
The crystal window is too small for us all to get through. Let's try the other way, says Chrysagon and walks over to where Myrral is located. I don't fancy going through the sewers unless I'm forced to do it.
He joins Myrral at the balcony and looks over the edge. Neither he could see very far due to the darkness but he broke off a piece of shrubbery, made it shine in a bright light and tossed it over the edge. He watched it fall down and tried to determine how far it fell and if it fell on solid ground or in water.

OOC: Chrysagon casts Light on the piece of shrubbery
 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top