D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

MetaVoid

Adventurer
The crystal window is too small for us all to get through. Let's try the other way, says Chrysagon and walks over to where Myrral is located. I don't fancy going through the sewers unless I'm forced to do it.
He joins Myrral at the balcony and looks over the edge. Neither he could see very far due to the darkness but he broke off a piece of shrubbery, made it shine in a bright light and tossed it over the edge. He watched it fall down and tried to determine how far it fell and if it fell on solid ground or in water.

OOC: Chrysagon casts Light on the piece of shrubbery
"Try going on your belly." laughs Ussal "I would really, really like to avoid the sssewers. That ssaid, we're not afraid of water, we live on a lake."
He looks at Yassah and the broodguards
"We can go through the window...sssome easssier than otherss."
 

log in or register to remove this ad

FitzTheRuke

Legend
After some discussion on the crystal window, Chrysagon decided to lead the group the other way, heading to what Myrral identified as the Grand Staircase. The paladin caused a small piece of root to glow brightly, and he dropped it over the railing. As the light fell past the next level down, a hunched figure was revealed, standing still and glaring up at Chrysagon from the balcony below. It was wearing a mask that was a replica of the devil face at the T-junction, which gave its face a strange, expressionless gap-mouthed stare. Without saying a word, the figure stepped backward and out of sight as the light fell past.

Down it went, until it landed about eighty feet down on a stone floor. The light illuminated the bases of four tall large statues - humanoids with four arms, horns and bat-like wings. Between the four statues was an area of darkness (perhaps a deeper pit). A faint noise, repeated clanging, like a hammer on an anvil, echoed softly from deep below.

Across, on the railing opposite them, facing inward, the Sticks could see a bronze plaque. In the dim light that remained, the words could be made out in a strange script, but the common tongue:

"Walk through water with weapon in hand.
Slake your shadow at the font.
The vulture is the first step.
Right the gods.
The walls of history tell all."


"Pfft." said Qawasha in his deep ape-voice, "More riddles."
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"That's why we're here." smiles Myrral "This one I think is fairly obvious. When we have to walk throught the water, we will have to fight something. At the font, keep the light so that shadows go into it. And when there are things to choose, we go from the vulture. Now just to find the walls of history."

Thinking a bit on it, Myrral shudders
"I hope we can avoid walking through the water. Many stories contain riddles for or by the heroes. There is one where halfling had to riddle-fight a derro. Insane, both of them! But he did win eventually and walked away with the precious."
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tomb of Annihilation
Morning
Round 0

“Riddles,” Dellrak grunted with annoyance. “Well, there’s three more hallways up here,” the dwarf noted. “Or take the stairs down. We know there’s something down there. Or keep on this level first?”

***
Torch: 596r (currently out)
0 goodberries

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 58/58 HD: 6/6d10+3
Bolts: Enough

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen steps away from the crystal portal and guides Weed away from the sewers. She gives him the glowing coin to hold, knowing that it can help her see.

She looks to the others for a decision on which way to go -- she is concerned about proceeding any of the expected ways (East, along the wider passage, or down), but of course they will be heading down eventually, she assumes. She carries her bow with an arrow nocked, her index finger cradling it in place.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
With the decision made to leave the crystal window for now, the Sticks and their allies moved to the Grand Staircase. There seemed little risk in having a look at all the options, so they spread out around the balcony in groups, staying within sight of one another. The further one moved northward (corresponding to further underground) the darker the hallways became as the cracks in the ceiling became less frequent. The foliage receded as well, but the dampness remained.

Chrysagon took a few tentative steps down the stairs, trying to see where the figure had gone. At the bottom of the stairs, there was a corridor on the left (heading north) and another going forward (east) offset a little on the right. An identical balcony wrapped around this second level, and probably had more exits that he couldn't see. There was no sign of the masked figure, but they couldn't have gone far. Chrysagon was convinced that he could catch them, but he would have to hurry down the stairs, leaving the others behind.

Dellrak checked to the north. At the top of the stairs was a hallway that soon turned westward. He noted it, and waited for Chrysagon, in case he needed to join him on the stairs if trouble started. Ussal stood with him, ready to go in any direction.

Ghorukk, Myrral, and the other Broodguard crossed to the far side of the balcony and scouted an eastern hallway. The corridor went straight, and ended in a giant stone skull carved from stone. It was covered in a layer of moss, and flames flickered in each of its eye sockets. Like the devil's head at the T-junction, its jaw hung open, but in this case there seemed to be a dimly-lit room beyond.

Yassah and a Broodguard went the furthest, to a hallway to the north furthest from the stairs. There they reported that while the hallway appeared to continue forward, it was blocked by a strange disc of metal blades. The gaps were large enough to crawl (or slither) through, but it seemed unsafe, to say the least.

Imogen, Weed, and Qawasha waited along the balcony to see if any of the three groups would need their assistance.

TombL1-A7.jpg
 
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Crysagon, let's go level by level. The creature can wait." called out Myrral.
"Ussal, Yassah, can we leave one or both of your guards to make sure nothing comes up while we explore? Yassah, come back."
He rejoins the rest of the group after Yassah returned. With all of them together there is little they cannot do.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tomb of Annihilation
Morning
Round 0

“So slice and dice,” Dellrak indicated the northeast passage, “crawl into gaping jaws,” he indicated the eastern tunnel, “or deeper into trouble?” He indicated the north passage by the stairs. “We’ll need more light. I can get a torch out.”

***
Torch: 596r (currently out)
0 goodberries

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 58/58 HD: 6/6d10+3
Bolts: Enough

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Weed held up the glowing coin that Imogen gave it to show Dellrak, and moved to the corner of the north-west hall. Dellrak followed, as those furthest away worked their way around the balcony. Yassah and the two broodguards would stand watch at the top of the stairs while the rest scouted the extent of the western Tomb.

The hall before them stretched a hundred feet or more into darkness at the extent of Weed's light.

OOC: We should set a marching order. Just sayin'. No reason at all.
 

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Chrysagon came up again from the lower level and joined the others. I saw someone down there but now they are gone. I thought that I could catch up with them but I don't want to run into another trap. Chrysagon is getting increasingly more careful in this dungeon.
He mumbled some words and his flail lit up. He held it like a torch in front of him and followed the others. His vision was much better in darkness than a human's but it was still difficult to see in darkness.

OOC: Chrysagon casts Light on the flail.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
After a hundred feet of hallway, the walls widened into a large, cleared room. As they crossed the room, the light of Chrysagon's flail illuminated a large rusting statue of a knight carrying a tower shield. Shards and flakes of rusted metal lay at the statue's feet. Two new hallways branched off from the room to the north and south. As they moved into the room to see what could be seen down the hallways, there was suddenly an immensely strong pull, like a strange suction, that pulled Chrysagon's flail straight out at arm's length.

While the paladin tried to hang on, Dellrak found himself being pulled as well, by the various things he had on his person that were made from metal: Axes, belt buckle, crowbar - all tried to drag him forward. The dwarf planted his feet but was sure he would tumble forward, but Chrysagon held up a hand, creating a protective field from Kelemvor.

Ussal appeared to be heavily armoured, nearly made from metal. The yuan-ti tumbled forward, but managed to spread out his tail and dig into the flagstones. Myrral had relatively little metal, and held to the ground with his cat-like claws. The others were far enough away from the statue to resist its pull.

For a moment, it seemed like all would be well, as each of those effected began to pull themselves away from the force back toward the hallway. Then suddenly Chrysagon lost his footing and tumbled, turning over once in the air before slamming hard into the statue's shield.

A few coins slipped loose from Chrysagon's pouch, and when they struck the shield, they disintegrated. Parts of his armour that were sticking out from the cloth of his tabard touched the shield and fell apart, damaging the armour, but thankfully not destroying it. He would certainly have lost his flail, had he not flipped it around his arm, which he tucked under his abdomen as he tried to pull himself free.

OOC: Chrys took 23 points of damage and will have to roll dc15 athletics to get himself off of the shield
 
Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tomb of Annihilation
Morning
Round 0

“Bluidy ‘ells!” Dellrack cursed as he felt something strong pulling at him. But he was a dwarf, low set and stubborn, so he managed to plant his feet. Chrysagon wasn’t so lucky, however, and went flying top over tea kettle down the corridor until he smashed into the statue of the knight.

“Mebbe let’s us be careful gaein’ tha’ way again,” Dellrack said. He pulled out this rope and tossed it down the hall at Chrysagon to help pull him back, placing himself around the corner for some added leverage as he tugged.

Strength: 1D20+4 = [19]+4 = 23

***
Torch: 596r (currently out)
0 goodberries

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 58/58 HD: 6/6d10+3
Bolts: Enough

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

MetaVoid

Adventurer
Ussal lays low down so his armored torse creates additional friction with the stones under him. Slithering forward he calls out to the paladin
"Cryssagon, I'll pull you back short distance, don't resssissst it! And I'm blasssting that thing into its componentssss!"

Reaching out with his mind, he yanks at Crysagon, pulling the captured warrior toward himself. Immediately after, he crushes a chip of stone under his bulk and motions toward the statues producing a loud bang around the statue.

Move: within 30' forward into the left (lower) passage N25
Bonus: Telekinetic pull on Crysagon 5' to K23
Standard: Shatter on the statue on H21
Shatter damage: 3D8 = [1, 4, 4] = 9 - :( statue is an object so takes full damage, or a creature made of stone so disadvantage on the save (Con DC 15)
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
By the time Dellrak had stomped his way to the far end of the room, Ussal had slithered over to the southern hallway and had telekinetically pulled Chrysagon free of the Knight's Shield. Though he was safe from losing his flail to the shield's metal destruction, he still struggled to move further away from it. With Qawasha and Ghorukk's help, Dellrak threw a long coil of rope down to the paladin, who looped it around himself. When he was away from the statue, Ussal caused a loud bang that twisted the shield slightly and broke pieces of stone from the statue's face.

OOC: Statue takes 9 damage: AC17 HP 31/40. Several immunities. It's working, but the thing is pretty tough.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tomb of Annihilation
Morning
Round 0

“Sae is tha’ wot we’re daein’?” Dellrak asked. “Destroyin’ the thing?” He watched Ussal smash at the statue. “Guess I c’n ‘elp the snake oot.”

Dellrak pulled out a hammer and piton. The metal spike would make a nice chisel or wedge to damage the statue. Then the dwarf carefully marged down the hallway back toward the statue.

OOC: Not sure how you want to adjudicate this, but Dellrak is going to methodically break this thing down. Advantage for being a dwarf doing stoneworking? LOL

***
Torch: 596r (currently out)
0 goodberries

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Attack 1:
Attack 2:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior (first attack that hits)
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 58/58 HD: 6/6d10+3
Bolts: Enough

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit


Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Myrral looks at the minor damage. "It might take you awhile and given the effect on the coins and Crysagons armor you might get only one strike with that tool. We should just pass it by."
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen feels the arrows in her quiver rattle under the force of the magnets, and she automatically covers its opening with her free hand. It has been several weeks now since she had stopped wearing her armour and begun to wear only clothes she found more comfortable in the jungle. She did not regret that decision now.

Did she regret any decision? One, yes. For sure. But for the most part, she had remained true to herself, and to her Uncle's cause.

She looked at this troublesome room, and to poor Chrysagon. She understood the principle of lodestones, and had learned about them in school. She did not know what Dellrak intended, or how destroying the statue would do anything other than make several small magnets, all of which would be drawn to the metal still.

"I agree with Myrral," she said aloud. "We are not here to make these paths safe for future travellers."
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Using the rope and everyone's help at the far end, Chrysagon made his way up to join the others, safely away from the statue.

Imogen and Myrral were right - Dellrak's piton, though he placed it perfectly to do the most damage to the statue, simply eroded away after a single strike, leaving only a small chip. It would be a frustratingly grueling task to destroy the statue, though Dellrak was convinced that if you break a thing broken enough, it should cease to work as designed.

The corridor that Ussal was in ended in a featureless wall. A hallway to nowhere. Across from him, the hallway going north appeared to open into a dark chamber. The only other option seemed to be to return the way they came. Ussal and Dellrak would have to risk crossing the room once more.

OOC: dc15 Athletics checks if they (or anyone else) wants to cross the room once more. If you have a significant amount of metal on you (say, metal armor or multiple metal weapons) then you have disadvantage. If you barely have any, like Imogen, then advantage. Qawasha doesn't have to roll, as he's turned himself into an ape. Nor would Weed. No metal at all on those two.
 

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Thank you for pulling me off that statue. I don't think I could have done it without your help.
And to Ussal he also shouted Thank you.
They listened to Ussal description of the corridor and asked if there was nothing else there. A corridor should lead to somewhere, right? How about the corridor leading north?
He looked around and said; Well, shall we turn around?

OOC: If we decide to continue, the non-metal clad people could possible help by holding on to the rope tied to waist of the metal clad people (advantage on str saves?). Alternatively, Chrysagon could doff his armour but then he would be very squishy (AC 9).
Also, did Chrysagon lose his shield? It's likely the shield would have slammed into the statue and disintegrate...
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"We can make a rope 'bridge'" - says Myrral - "I can go to one side, bring the rope to Ussal and then cross over so you can catch on the rope on the way there. I will need some help from Qawasha with his enhanced strength to hold you, metal-heavy people."
 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top