• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

EarlyBird

Explorer
Dellrak rubs his bruised shin, and then remembers the sack of coins from Bol. He hefts it and wonders if he should wait till "Soggy" is gone, before sharing this information with the group.

He looks to Chrysagon and with a nod says, "Aye, we be needin' a few things just to be safe. And we were suppose ta be use'n this stash fir kay-news (canoes) too."

OOC: I'll do a start list of gear. And let everyone add to it. When we know the size of the expedition we can adjust it as needed before finalizing it.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Rodrigo rose an eyebrow at Miss Imogen "I was under the impression that this item was... dangerous. Is wearing it wise?"

As far as the Wren't offer... "Sure sell it to him, but I'm not sure I like the looks of that pair to be frank... perhaps he has an opinion on some of these guides? That would be helpful"

Looking at the others, he added "just how far is that camp anyway? Time wise I mean"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Bol had mentioned that Camp Righteous was some hundred and twenty miles up the River Soshenstar, give or take. The mouth of the river is about twenty-five miles from Port Nyanzaru. Getting there is expected to take around eight days, on average. It is possible to save some time if you have the funds to hire a ship to take you to the mouth of the river (or possibly a few miles up it).

OOC: You'd have to ask at the docks.

Last edited:

gargoyleking

Adventurer
'Harb' had been missing for quite some time. Nobody was quite sure when he'd slipped away, nor where he had gone. In fact, the most notable aspect of his absence was his arrival at the inn. His new clothing was a bit more worn in, and had obtained a few small rips and stains in all the right places. And he seemed drunk and fit to topple over at the slightest provocation of the breeze.

His first stop was to sit with 'Soggy' for an ale and a random conversation about some hard to find liquer he'd been hoping to sample. Apparently he'd had little luck so far and would need to look elsewhere for his 'Medicine'.

Eventually he staggered drunkenly over to sit with the group mumbling something about needing another dose.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
(straightening the timeline a bit)

When miss Imogen returns from her brief meeting with the Zhentarim, she sees a queue has formed outside the Inn of potential guides. The barman has said only one at a tie, and the boy who washes the glasses has been conscripted into being a bouncer. He is not good at this job, and some of the guides resent him.

Miss Imogen walks by and sits at the table, where the Wren has seated himself, his arms wide over the backs of two adjoining chairs as he confidently describes what they will need. His eyes go wide at the sight of the bracelet.

The Wren, though very good at concealing his true feelings, was eager to get ahold of the snakes. Moreover, he appeared to be slightly afraid of it, as if he wasn't sure if he was willing to touch the trinket with his bare hands.

OOC: If Imogen holds out for more, he will be willing to "call in a favour" and have Faroul and his halfling companion waive their first tenday's fees, if the Sticks will have them. Those two owe him. You can hire multiple guides, if you like.

He turns and makes eye contact with Faroul, standing in the front of the queue. It is not surreptitious.

"Well, there's one guide I won't trust," she thinks to herself, and turns back to the Wren.

He's placed a single gem on the table. Its value, though she cannot estimate it precisely, it is clearly more than sufficient for their needs. She plays with the bracelet on her wrist, spinning it with her other hand as if uncertain about whether she might keep it.

She senses that there is no additional money forthcoming, however.

Rodrigo rose an eyebrow at Miss Imogen "I was under the impression that this item was... dangerous. Is wearing it wise?"

"Wise or not, the problem is no longer ours," she says, removing it. With one movement, she disentwines the bracelet (is it only her imagination that feels it clinging to her bare skin?) and places it on the table before Wren, and retrieves the gem as she draws her hand back.

"There. We can use this towards hiring a guide." She has no interest in interviewing candidates, but will stay until she is satisfied. "If we can find a healer, who knows the area, that would be my preference," she tells her companions.

For those who might be listening, the voice of a vegepygmy in the queue outside squeals with delight.

Once the Wren leaves the table, they can begin. She says nothing when talking to the first few candidates. When Qawasha and his companion appear, she states simply, "This one will do."

Qawasha replied to Rodrigo, "Jobal is the Merchant Prince who provides licenses to Guides. As I hear it, all the Merchant Princes used to license various guides, but Jobal, having once heard the call of the Chwinga, purchased all of the commissions."

"The undead do need to be brought low," she avers. "By accepting your stipulation, we trust you can distinguish your rate from those of the others?" She is prepared to haggle, if custom expects it, but she is talking straight and holds his gaze.

"Good." she says, as if that seals the deal. "If we want additional guides, I suggest we include Quawasha and his friend in the negotiations.

It is only now that a drink is brought to her, an alcoholic concoction with mashed fruit at the bottom. She sips it, elegantly, and is surprised at the sweet syrupy taste.

If the interviews continue, Miss Imogen does not participate. She finishes her drink, and excuses herself.

"I am heading to the docks to investigate the cost of a boat. If anyone wishes to accompany me, I shall be leaving in a few minutes." She stands, and retires to her room. In a few minutes she returns in a different blouse, prepared to again face the unbearable heat of the city.

EarlyBird

Explorer
OOC: Sorry but I think all this haggling and shopping may slow down the game in pbp. I'm lost for sure. Did we go to bed yet from the day of fighting zombies and mad halfling wizards?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
OOC: Fine. We will move along.

After choosing a guide (much to the other hopeful's disappointment), the Sticks went their separate ways, gathering gear and securing passage.

Miss Imogen made fast friends with the captain of the Brazen Pegasus, a sloop renowned for its speed. The captain was a female rock gnome named Ortimay Swift-and-Dark and she had offered, after much discussion, to take the expedition twenty miles up the river for only 10 pieces of gold. What's more, she had offered Miss Imogen her money back, if they did not arrive there in under four hours - a journey that would take two days in a canoe.

Speaking of which, a canoe was delivered to the Inn, carried by an armoured creature with a mace-like tail. The canoe was painted with the emblem that Volo had drawn for the group - a bundle of sticks in an open hand. The man who led the beast gave a note which read:

Friends,

You shall now set upon your expedition in style and comfort. I wish you the best of fortune!

- Volo

Tired and a little excited, the group returned to the Inn for some much needed rest, with the expedition to begin in the morning.

OOC: If I missed anything anyone wanted to do, please let me know.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
After a good meal - those meat skewers were quite something! - and a couple of drinks, Rodrigo spent part of his evening disassembling, scouring and re-assembling his armor, as well as oiling everything he could. The humidity here was fierce. He thought about his father and his adventures as a sell-sword, and how this was turning out to be quite different. He seemed to have good companions though. With this, a bit of wit and a bit of luck... they would succeed.

Making sure his main-gauche was in very easy reach, he closed his eyes and went to sleep.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Harb went to bed a bit earlier than expected and spend most of the rest of the night tending to his equipment as was Rodrigo. He did so silently, and for all anyone could tell he was fast asleep already.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
When Miss Imogen returned form the docks, she told the others about The Brazen Pegasus and the arrangement she has made. She thinks this a good deal, and is pleased with her acumen in insisting on it.

The line of applicants has dispersed, though she still sees one leaning against the building, as if holding his spot until the next interview. She forgets his name, walks by the grand voyageur canoe, and enters the inn.

In her arm are two parcels, clothes she has bought on the way back. Both are long skirts, which are not the fashion in Chult, but protect her modesty and fit her well, and are suitable for travelling. One is a forest green with pink trim, the other a deep blue, with a lace collar. She wraps both in a cloth, and then that bundle in an oilskin.

Her time with "the Sticks" has taught her that such changes will prove necessary.

OOC: 2 x travellers clothes, paid for with personal funds.

Remove ads