5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Ukee was just able to carry a coil of two ropes spliced together. With a knot that was tied for her ahead of time, she was able to loop it over the lowest-hanging petrified root. Then she dropped the coil, and it fell to form a one-hundred foot free climb. Harb had been concentrating on their connection this time, watching through her eyes and instructing her. At first she was nervous and didn't understand what was being asked of her, but with the task completed, she was very proud of herself and slid down the rope to sit on Harb's shoulder, chittering in her excitement.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Harb patted Ukee gently and offered some of her favorite foods as a reward. But now he looked up in mild trepidation. That would be a long way to fall if one lost their grip, and he wasn't the strongest of climbers.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Let me go first. I'm lighter and I can check the knot before magic-wood clad members attempt it."

Myrral swarms up the rope, climbing as if he was born to it. Which in a sense he was. The claws on hands and feet gripped the rope safely.

Ooc: natural climb speed ftw :)
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Harb was impressed by the speed and confidence shown by the slight tabaxi as the catfolk scrambled up the rope, he tightened the splice halfway up, and made sure that the loop held tight on the petrified root. Grrol and Brapp made to follow their friend, meaning to keep him safe from harm.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Harb had never been much of a climber. Sure, his footing was good and he was very flexible, but he'd never taken to feats of upper-body strength. He tried to follow the tabaxi, but it was obvious that he was struggling from the get-go. He made it about twenty feet of the hundred-foot climb before becoming stuck. He fumbled about for a few minutes while everyone tried to encourage him. Then he slipped and fell to the mud below. He wasn't terribly hurt by the fall, buy his pride was stung hard.

GM: Damage Taken:
(BGs) None;
(PCs) Harb 9 (Falling);
(NPCs) None
How far a fall?
Distance: 1D10 = [2] = 2
x10 = 20 foot fall
Fall: 2D6 = [3, 6] = 9
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Myrral checked and secured the rope.

Seeing Harb fall, Myrral focuses downward trying to advise the companions and to stabilize the rope. Finally, he gives up and snarls and yowls something.

"Make room, my clanmates will climb up and help you."

Two tabaxi climb up easily and grab the rope while Myrral coils pulled rope behind them.
"Grab the rope and hold on. We will pull you up."
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Miss Imogen is not convinced she is needed at the top, and is happy to let everyone else go ahead of her.

"I'll cover your ascent," she says, as she keeps her eye on the perimeter around the clearing.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
"I shall stay here as well, if there is a need, I will send Ukee for assistance."

Harb did his best to scrape mud from his clothing while he waited for the others to ascend and see what there was to be seen.
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Rodrigo said "The tree line is clear... I wonder what occurred here. Perhaps a levitation spell?"

He added. "I'll attempt to go up - I have a crossbow so I can help from above if there is problem beneath. Keep your eyes opened."

2 athletics check, with advantage since the tabaxi are helping right? : 1D20+1 = [17]+1 = 18
1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21
1D20+1 = [2]+1 = 3
1D20+1 = [6]+1 = 7


OOC: So I make the first one easily, the second one I don't fail by 5, so Rodrigo regroups, and tries again

climb with advantage because the tabaxi are helping: 1D20+1 = [18]+1 = 19
1D20+1 = [11]+1 = 12
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
There was a moment of touch-and-go as Rodrigo climbed. He had a similar moment to Harb, only higher up, as the rope began to spin him in a circle. But the Tabaxi helped to keep it steady, and he eventually got to the petrified root. There was still something of a climb to the stone stairs, but he could take a moment of rest before continuing on.

OOC: If that's everyone who's going to try it, we can move on. I'll say with the tabaxi continuing to help Rodrigo, it's just a matter of time before they reach the stairs, so no more checks are needed. (From Rodrigo - if anyone wants to climb up, there's still time. Including NPCs. If you're controlling an NPC consider if they would want to go.)
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
OOC: Not splitting the party; I just felt that Miss Imogen would find the harness unbecoming an dher presence unneccessary. She is perfectly happy to be hauled up at this point, and Weed would come with her.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Hup'lo basically swarms up the rope with the help of the Tabaxi

Athletics(Adv): 3#2d20k1+3 23 22 18

I don't think we have a setup conducive to stringing up a seat that wpuld be conducive. I think we do need to split the party somewhat.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
OOC: Splitting the party is fine, though I agree that Qawasha would be alright with the indignity of being hauled up if it meant getting to go into the Heart.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
After hauling a very eager Qawasha up to the root, the smaller group worked their way up to the stone staircase. It was a slow climb, and the tabaxi stayed to help the others every step of the way. The fall was now nearly two hundred feet - certainly lethal - and no one wanted to risk anything. When they arrived at the bottom of the stairs, which climbed to the top of the heart and the petrified tree, they also came to a cave entrance. From the cave stepped a gaunt, blonde-haired elf woman, wearing a black cloak fastened with a golden hoop over her right shoulder.

She bowed slightly and said, "Welcome to the Heart of Ubtao. I am Valindra Shadwomantle. I assume that you have had quite an adventure to find yourselves in this place. Please, come inside and tell me about it over iced wine."
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
"We should be grateful for any hospitality you would care to offer," says Miss Imogen with a curtsy, "and we are happy to accept your kind welcome."

She enters, leaving her bow at the entranceway.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Hup'lo seemed focussed on Qawasha, helping him move up and watching to make sure he didn't take a fall. Once they reached the entrance to the cave, he moved to the side, watching the conversation and not wanting to inject himself into it. He seemed happy to be a bystander to the scene.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Hup'lo spoke very little of the common tongue, and he didn't understand what was being said most of the time (both here, and in general when travelling with the Sticks). It was Qawasha's habit to translate for him, but the Druid was distracted - partly in awe of arriving at the Heart, and partly in suspicion of the elf. She did not seem to be devoted to Ubtao to him - in fact, she appeared to be an outsider. He was trying to figure out if he should consider it a blasphemy that she appeared to have taken up residence in the Heart.

Valindra led the way into the cave to a musty and dimly lit hollowed-out interior of the Heart. Daylight filtered down through the hollow, petrified tree trunk whose roots made natural pillars that supported the ceiling twenty feet above. A pool of dirty, reddish rainwater occupied the central part of the floor as rain fell through the hollow tree in a constant pitter-patter. Three tall bookcases stood against the wall to the right of the cave entrance while a desk and several wooden crates stood against the left-hand wall. Directly opposite the entrance were two open doorways into smaller chambers and, between them, a large empty iron cage.

The elf went to one of the crates and took out a bottle of wine and took out a bottle of Amnish white wine and enough tin wine glasses for all but herself and Weed, who had put his feet in the pool. She cast a simple spell, and a frost grew on the outside of the bottle. Another spell popped the cork, and she poured glasses and passed them out. There was only one chair, which she offered to Miss Imogen, but she waved a hand to the crates and said, 'I'm afraid that I have very little amenities. If you wish to sit, you may do so on the crates, if you chose, or those stone roots next to that column. I will stand. Now, what can you tell me of your journey here?"
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Qawasha frowned somewhat. Something... wasn't right. He remained standing, and cleared his throat.

"I thank you for your hospitality but... what are you doing here? The Heart of Ubtao is sacred to my people. Many years I have dreamed of coming here on a spiritual journey... and I did not expect to find an outsider within. Some would consider this a great sacrilege... but I am willing to hear your tale. So perhaps you can start with your tale of how and why you came to reside here."
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
For a brief moment, the elf appeared just slightly as if she would become angry, but she quickly composed herself, sighed, and said, "You are right. I am a traveller to this land and I was unaware that this magnificent mote held cultural significance; but of course it would, it must. I am sorry if my presence here is unwelcome - it's just that it made such a safe, and excellent place for me to research the cause of this withering plague, and the rise of terrible undead in this land."

OOC: Insight checks would be appropriate. If you roll less than 10, then you probably didn't even notice her get annoyed, and she seems like a friendly elf-wizard, if a bit mysterious.
 

Advertisement

Top