5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Hup'lo wasn't very good with this 'common' tongue, but sensing Qawasha's surprise and tenseness at the sight of this woven woman, he did his vest to pay attention. He noticed her reaction to Qawasga's words and perhaps a bit more, though he tried not to show it.

Insight: 1d20 19
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
Myrral looks around and sniffs as he enters trying to get a sense of how long is this elf here. He never heard of anyone living in the Heart, but her explanation may be as good as her ignorance. Still, one doesn't survive in the jungle by assuming something is not dangerous.

He purrs and murmurs something and the hunters spread out and around the chamber. Not being as rude as to go behind their host or invade any closed of parts...but very much the image of the tense hunters.

The shaman nods at the elf at her introduction, but otherwise remains silent.

"Check both sides, don't disturb anything and don't approach her."

[roll=Insight]1d20+1[/roll] Sorry, brainfart
Insight: 1D20+1 = [10]+1 = 11

Perception: 2D20.HIGH(1)+4 = [11, 16]+4 = 20
OOC: Rolled single perception for all tabaxi, but with advantage (Myrral with help)
 
Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Heart of Ubtao
Morning
Round 0

Dellrack traveled with the others, and when they bedded down for the night, he finished off his spells to create more goodberries. The next morning, he looked up at the Heart of Ubtao. Dwarves didn’t mind heights, as long as there was good, solid ground under them. But this was wrong. Earth shouldn’t float like this. Still, he and Kasqa climbed up the rope with the help of the tabaxis.

Athletics advantage: 2D20.HIGH(1)+6 = [8, 6]+6 = 14
Athletics advantage: 2D20.HIGH(1)+4 = [11, 19]+4 = 23


Finding the elven woman inside the Heart was a bit unusual. Angis understood Qawasha’s hesitancy. She was some kind of mage.

“We’re on the same mission, t’ find oot wot is causin’ this death curse,” Dellrack said. “Wot ‘ave ye foond oot?”

Insight on Valindra: Insight: 1D20+2 = [17]+2 = 19
History to know if Dellrack has heard of Valindra: History: 1D20 = [17] = 17

OOC: 30 points of goodberries available.


Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 35/40 HD: 4/4d10+2

Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 1
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/3 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider


Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Having grown impatient by waiting on the ground, Dellrak climbed to join the others. He missed the passing out of the wine, which was fine by him, but he caught the exchange between Qawasha and the elf as the tabaxi passed by him, looking around the interior of the Heart.

Valindra replied to Dellrak, "How fortuitous to find you on the same mission as I. My research has led me to believe that the cause of the plague is a creature called 'the Soulmonger' - a powerful outsider whose nature has been corrupted for such a purpose. I intend to capture this creature to study it and put things right. Of course, finding it has been an issue. Do you have any leads?"

The explanation satisfied Qawasha, though her presence here bothered him. He did not like her, but he had no reason to press the issue. Yet.
Rodrigo felt that she wasn't 'sorry' one bit, but otherwise took no issue with her explanation. She was obviously quick to anger, and that made a wizard dangerous.
The tabaxi were barely listening to the conversation. They were sniffing about. The cage smelled like human, rather than animal piss. And though they did not go near the doors, they could not help but notice that something dead, or perhaps even undead, was behind one of the doors. The elf herself smelled sweet. Perhaps too sweet. They had not known many elves, but in this heat, even elves tended to smell at least a little sweaty.
Hup'lo could not understand much of what was being said, but he watched the elf with a keen hunter's eye. As friendly and graceful as she was, she moved like an experienced predator. Every part of her was tense and ready.
There was an elf-wizard by that name that had been an Overlord of the Arcane Brotherhood. She had been responsible for summoning a Pit-Fiend that had killed Bruenor Battlehammer. She should be dead, and with this 'Withering Disease', anyone who'd been resurrected should be sick or dying. Unless they were undead. This thought reminded Dellrak that he'd heard that she was an ally of the most famous undead wizard of all - the Lich-King of Thay. Perhaps she too, was this sort of undead wizard. The thought terrified and disgusted the dwarf. Watching her, he thought that this could be the same elf. Every action was far too practised to be natural.
 
Last edited:

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Hup'lo stidies the woman for a moment, realizing suddenly that they have stumbled upon a dangerous situation he speaks quietly into Qawasha's ear in his native tongue and then turns to leave the crowded interior.

"Be cautious wise one. You are as the lynx, stalking a panther."
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Miss Imogen sits in front of the woman, nodding as the others present their questions. She holds the cup of iced wine in her hand elegantly. There is no look of surprise on her face when she hears of the Soulmonger, but she purses her lips when asked for leads.

"Our leads have brought us here, as it turns out," she says casually. It's not an accusation, though someone might take it as one if they were looking to take offense. "We discovered the tracks of a group of soldiers, perhaps orcs, that were travelling through the jungle. They led here and then seemed to go away." Miss Imogen does not mention the smaller footprints, that she presumes belong to Valindra.

"They marched with purpose -- and we presume they came here as a landmark. Did you see them at all?" Miss Imogen asks, enjoying the cool feel of the goblet in hr palm.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
"Oh, I have not come here alone," admitted Valindra to Miss Imogen, "Those are, perhaps, the footprints of my mercenaries who are searching for clues as to the whereabouts of the Soulmonger. I have just this morning, sent a group south. Have you been to the south?"

OOC: In case you don't remember, regardless of what you tell her, you have come from the north.
 

Fradak

Explorer
Chrysagon installs an improvised camp under the floating island as he doesn't know how long his companions will stay up there. He throws some provisions to Harb then seizes the moment to fixes his broken armor. It's not everyday that you are trampled by a giant gorilla.
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Qawasha blinked at Hup'lo's warning.

"You say that the Soulmonger was corrupted for this purpose. This implies that the Soulmonger is a tool, a means to a end. Do you know whom is using the Soulmonger?"

Rodrigo's sense of alertness increased at that question. Qawasha had caught a subtlety that he had missed - the jungle had made him forget the training he had received in Waterdeed. Was that slip intentional or truly a slip. It did not bode well - the Soulmonger was not the true cause, and the wizardress was only interested in in the tool, not the primal cause. A sword might kill you, but the true culprit was the one who wielded it.

He scanned the room carefully.
perception in the heart of Utabo: 1D20+4 = [19]+4 = 23
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
"I have some suspicions, but be it powerful Necromancer, Demon, or Death Cult, it cannot be allowed to continue." Valindra answered, growing impatient, "Now, I have answered your questions, but you have not answered mine; what information do you have that will help me to find the Soulmonger? Please do share."
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Miss Imogen gives a polite but ultimately uninformative response to the woman before him.

She sips the ice wine, and is pleased with its coolness.

"We came from the north, and when we crossed your soldiers' paths, we followed them, though it seemed play where the tracks were heading," she says with a small laugh. Not fully honest, but accurate enough for the teachers at her school.

When asked about leads, she describes the sickness they dealt with at the fort. "Indeed, our paths have crossed many adventurers as we travel this jungle," she concludes. She then describes Artus Cimber vaguely, not using his name but checking for a response.

OOC: Insight 1d20+4=11.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
"I have heard of this man, who travels with an unusual lizardfolk. He was the son of a highwayman, and yet came to marry a Bara of Mezro." she said, as if these things meant very much.

They did to Qawasha, who gasped. He had not known who Artus Cimber was, beyond a ranger who held a magic ring. This was news to him, but he knew what a Bara was.

"I should very much like to meet this man." continued Valindra, "Where did you say you saw him?"

The Barae were seven champions chosen by Ubtao to protect the holy capital city of Chult, Mezro. It was said that they would crumble to dust if the city were lost. Since the city was destroyed a hundred years ago, it makes no sense to Qawasha that Artus should have married one. Though that ring was very powerful, so perhaps it extended his life. Still, she would be dead. Poor fellow.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Heart of Ubtao
Morning
Round 0

“Valindra Shadowmantle, yeh dunnae say,” Dellrak said, eying the elven woman suspiciously. “An’ why no’ just find this Soulmonger an’ kill it? Save everyone in the end.” He knew the name. The death of the famed Bruenor Battlehammer of Mithril Hall was sung by the bards, even though Bruenor had somehow come back. He watched her movements, too careful and precise to be living.

The dwarf settled down. How to warn the others without giving the game away. He pulled his greataxe off his back and settled it between his knees, leaning on it. Quietly he touched the magical focus he wore and whispered the words of a spell.

OOC: Casting Protection from Evil. Valindra will have to attack him at disadvantage, and can’t be charmed, frightened, or possessed by her.


OOC: 30 points of goodberries available.


Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration: Protection from Evil
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 35/40 HD: 4/4d10+2

Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 1
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/3 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider


Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
"I have heard of this man, who travels with an unusual lizardfolk. He was the son of a highwayman, and yet came to marry a Bara of Mezro." she said, as if these things meant very much.

"I should very much like to meet this man." continued Valindra, "Where did you say you saw him?"
Miss Imogen answers her, as she places her wine glass down, and folds her hands on her lap.

"It was upriver, hundreds of miles from here, to the Southwest," she says [or whatever is mostly accurate; she is not concerned with accuracy but is being honest]. She shifts the topic.

"If your soldiers have gone South, what would you suggest for us? Our curiosity about the Heart has been satisfied, and we should be on our way. We thank you for your hospitality." She stands to leave.
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Qawasha stood up - this was not ok. He held up a hand towards Miss Imogen, hoping she would pause.

"No, we are not done here.

First, The man traveling with the lizardman is not your concern, and had nothing to do with the soulmonger. Let us stay focused on the matter at hand.

Second, we came here so I could commune with Ubtao. Your presence here... complicate things. I need the time, space and quiet to perform the ritual. I know my ways may seem primitive to you, but I have a connection to the land that you clearly do not. Give me room"
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
OOC: @Kobold Stew Actually, it was North. Pretty much directly North of here.


"If you would like to aid in my search," Valindra said to Miss Imogen, "Then I suggest you check to the East. If you find anything, you can report back to me with this."

She handed Miss Imogen a scrollcase, containing three scrolls of sending. Then Qawasha spoke up.

"I will not disturb you, man of Ubtao, if you wish to ascend the stairs and pray at the god-tree at the top of the mote. And I will leave this place as undisturbed as possible when my mission is finished." Valindra stated, and then added coldly, "But do not presume to give me orders, or to tell me what is, or is not, my concern."
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Heart of Ubtao
Morning
Round 0

“Well, guess we best be gettin’ ready t’ gae on our way after Qawasha finishes up ‘is prayin’,” Dellrak said, wanting away from Valindra Shadowmantle as soon as possible. He had no thought of telling her anything. But he would suggest they do head east, before diverting on their own direction for this Soulmonger.

OOC: 30 points of goodberries available.


Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration: Protection from Evil
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 35/40 HD: 4/4d10+2

Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 1
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/3 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider


Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Valindra caught Dellrak's eye and he knew that she knew that he had warded himself. She seemed amused by it and let it be their little secret, which caused Dellrak to inwardly shudder. In the chaos of people talking, she had not answered his earlier question, and she did so now, saying, "Kill it? No, that would never do. There is no guarantee that killing the Soulmonger will end it's blight on the land, you see. It must be studied, controlled, and brought to heel. Only then will the people of Chult, and of Toril itself, be safe from its curse. No, if you find the Soulmonger, you must call me. Do not attempt to destroy it, or you may doom us all."
 

Advertisement

Top