5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Heart of Ubtao
Morning
Round 0

Dellrak let those with their magical abilities deal with the scrolls. “I say jus’ dump ‘em in the swamp an’ be done,” he muttered. “Tha’ woman ain’t t’ be trusted. Valindra Shadowmantle used t’ be one o’ the leaders o’ the ‘osttower o’ the Arcane, leadin’ th’Arcane Brotherhood in Luskan. Made ‘er one o’ the most powerful wizards in Faerun. She was responsible f’r summonin’ the pit fiend wot killed King Bruenor Battle’ammer o’ Mithril Hall. An’ all tha’ was b’fore she threw in with ol’ Szass Tam oot o’ Thay an’ got ‘erself lichified. She’s in charge o’ Tam’s western operations. Now tha’ makes sense o’ why she’s ‘ere an’ wantin’ that Soulmonger.”

Athletics: 1D20+6 = [11]+6 = 17
Survival: 1D20+4 = [15]+4 = 19

Dellrak focused his attention on the trek. With his axe and strength, he helped move fallen trees out of the way, or help the others over obstacles. He also kept one eye on their direction, and finding the easiest paths through the thick jungle.

OOC: 30 points of goodberries available.


((Remember Kasqa))

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration: Protection from Evil
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 35/40 HD: 4/4d10+2

Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 1
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/3 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider


Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Qawasha's face contorted with anger.

"A LICH is in the heart of Ubtao!?!"

He pinched the brow of his noise and exhaled violently "we, obviously, cannot work, trust or help that abomination.... and while every fiber of my being demands that we drive her out of the heart... I don't think we are meant to. Surely Ubtao would have let his anger known, instead of showing me this vision..."

He looked at the map he had drawn on the ground "Myrral, your plan makes sense in a way, but the area east of here is particularly corrupted. That, and the trek over the mountains would erase all time gained by river travel. Instead, I propose that we go south west, a little bit more west than south. If we do it right, we should be able to avoid most of the corrupted areas and reach the ship.

With the help of Ubtao, and your collective courage and wit, we can reach the ship and make it fly again!"
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Harb was about as disturbed by this news as much as anyone else was. For slightly different reasons. In either case, he helped to dig a hole for the scroll case somehow he was afraid that getting rid of it wouldn't stop a powerful mage from spying on them, hell, she was probably watching them now, just to see what they were going to do after meeting her. But it didn't matter, no need to make it any easier to be followed than necessary.
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
"No, I wouldn't get rid of them. I disabled her magic. And besides should knows us now. If she decides to find us she will. I'm new in your group, I know, but still. If we agree she can track us regardless of us having those scrolls, at least we have a new resource at our disposal."
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
OOC: Did you want to grab the canoes for a few days across the south-end of the Aldani Basin? It'll save you a day or two, I expect. You'll have to go west and then south, as opposed to straight south-west.
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Miss Imogen commiserates with Qawasha. "I had no idea, Quawasha," she says. "I am normally better at perceiving such things, but I had no idea. Say the word, and we can go attempt to deal with her. Well, I speak for myself alone. If that is the course you want, we can do it."

She is somewhat surprised at her offer, and surprised at herself that he actually means it.

Qawasha does not respond immediately, and she lets it go.

They climb into the canoes, and Miss Imogen finds herself again at the stern, with a wooden paddle in her hand. She does her best, but drops her paddle in the first eddy, and watches it get pulled away. She is relieved and finds herself walking along the bankside, Weed at her side but regularly disappearing in among the foliage.

OOC: Athletics: 1d20-1=2.
Survival: 1d20+2=13

WEED: survival: 1d20+3=15
Stealth: 1d20+4=23
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
Tabaxi split their strength and knowledge of the jungle to be of the most use to the group. While Myrral all but disappeared along with the monk (CRIT), the need to keep pace with the canoes among the branches meant he spent less time watching.

On the other hand, two tribesmen focused so much on keeping the group on the path they rowed slowly and when the walking part came they all but forgot to open the way for human(oids) and simply clambered over obstacles or just went into the trees until such time their shaman brother reminded them to return to the ground.


OOC: Question about the scrolls @FitzTheRuke : you rolled one arcana and potential trap damage, I rolled another check with sleight of hand. Does that mean that both the case and scrolls are "safe" or your Arcana was simply for detection of the runes?
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
OOC: You made the case untraceable without getting hurt, but you haven't touched the scrolls yet (you know that they would only be a problem if you tried to use them to contact someone OTHER than Valindra - Valindra would "overhear" whatever is said. You can disarm that too, but it's another check.
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
OOC: So, essentially, scouts bypassed whatever ambush was set unnoticed and let the rest take the attack :p

The scrolls with the wizard mark can be used for scrying. Right? I'd like to disable that, but leave one scroll for her to overhear whatever we want her to overhear :)
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
OOC: No,the scroll-case had a scrying mark that you disabled (you're right that it's still possible for her to scry you, but it's not as easy or clear) and the scrolls themselves are sending scrolls, which allow for a quick two-way communication. The only thing she did to them was to put a hidden clause that makes it so that she 'overhears' even if you use the scrolls to contact someone else. This can be removed (with one check because they're all the same), that hasn't been made yet - but it has an anti-tamper rune, that might hurt someone doing it, if they make a mistake while trying to remove it. You can safely leave it until you want to use it, and choose to fix it depending on if you want her to hear or not, or you can remove the clause from any number of the three ahead of time).
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
South-Western Aldani Basin

The Sticks and their allies worked their way back to their canoes by a circuitous route. They found them where they had left them two days earlier, and they paddled their way westward across the swampland. Miss Imogen dropped a paddle, and despite her protests, it was discovered that her hands were covered in blisters. This was not a result of paddling - she was sensitive to an airborne fungus that started out too small to be seen, but was soon found growing on nearly any damp surface. Kasqa did double-duty paddling Imogen's canoe while Chrysagon inspected everyone regularly for infection. Miss Imogen's hands were bound in bandages with a salve that Weed and Qawasha provided.

Two days later, they hid the canoes on what Qawasha assured them was the Basin's western end. Harb and Myrall scouted and watched from a concealed spot while a large, carnivorous beast with an oversized head and teeth stomped past them, swishing its enormous tail through the underbrush. Ukee was a godsend to Harb, flying overhead and spotting things that he couldn't see, he was safe to regularly stay hidden in thick foliage.

Myrall, however, ranged through the trees, hiding in the canopy overhead. This habit was practised by the other Tabaxi, to a lesser extent. Usually, it was safe enough, and very useful to have a scout other than the flying monkey that could see further over the jungle. However, on the day after they had stashed the canoes, Myrall was jumping from one tree to another and he failed to notice the second tree's unstable trunk far below. His very slight weight caused the tree to topple over, and he fell thirty feet through underbrush (most of which broke his fall). Myrall was not seriously injured, but still, he was sore on one side, and the pain lingered in an unnatural way.

That evening at camp, the group was forced to acknowledge that everyone was taking longer than they were used to in recovering from injuries. Chrysagon and Harb were not fully recovered from the incident with the giant ape, and Hup'lo was feeling old and worn.

The Death Curse was getting worse.

OOC: I'm not finished. I'll continue this soon. However:

Death Curse: You now must spend Hit Dice to regain HP in a Long Rest (as well as a Short one) and you only regain 1 HD at the end of a Long Rest. Additionally, Short Rests take 2 Hours. Everything else about resting follows the usual book-rules.


GM:
(Athletics) 2, 8, 9, 10, 15, 17, 22
(Medicine) 17
(Perception) 6, 8, 8, 12, 17, 20
(Stealth) 23, 24, 24, 27
(Survival) 8, 11, 11, 13, 15, 16, 16, 19
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
It had been raining hard for most of the day when the group found themselves in a low-lying area of jungle that had flooded. Myrall and Groll climbed trees to the south and north, respectively, to look for a way around the floodwaters, while Harb sent Ukee flying over the pool to see how far it was across. As the main group waited for the scouting to be done before moving on, the jungle suddenly began to move behind them. Three large skeletal-looking creatures made of rotting vegetation lumbered into view. They smelled terribly, and their hollow eyes appeared to be a nest for ugly fat black flies.

GM: Encounter: The Sticks vs Woodrot Giants in the Wet Jungle of South-West Chult
Wet1.jpg

Locations:
(BGs) WoodRot1 (Z4); WoodRot2 (AE6); WoodRot3 (AC13)
(PCs) Chrysagon (T8); Dellrak (Q12); Imogen (P10); Harb (W20); Myrral (AA18); Rodrigo (U10)
(NPCs) Braapp (M8); Grrol (O5); Hup'Lo (M12); Kasqa (N13); Qawasha (Q9); Weed (R4); Ukee (F20)
(General Features)
Visibility: Fair "Heavy Rain" (Light Obscurement);
Terrain: Brown "Mud" (Normal); Green "Jungle" (Difficult); Blue "Water" (Swim or Fly over)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Chrysagon AC18* HP 36/36 HD 3/4 PP10* SS 3/3 CD 1/1 LoH 20/20 (Res Nec&Rad)
Dellrak AC15 HP 40/40 HD 4/4 PP14* SS 3/3 (Res Poison)
Harb AC15 HP 27/27 HD 3/4 PP14 KI 4/4
Imogen AC16 HP 31/31 THP 0/5 HD 4/4 PP12 SS 2/2 FS 3/3
Myrral (Dew) AC14 HP 26/26 HD 3/4 PP14* SS 4/4 3/3 Ins 3/3
Rodrigo AC18* HP 36/36 HD 4/4 PP14 SD 4/4
(NPCs)
Braapp (Climbing Vine) AC14 HP 33/33 HD 6/6 PP13*
Grrol (Rockmoss) AC14 HP 33/33 HD 6/6 PP13*
Hup'Lo AC12 HP 16/16 HD 2/3 PP12*
Kasqa AC13 HP 17/17 HD 3/3 PP11
Qawasha AC11(16) HP 27/27 HD 5/5 PP14 SS 4/4 3/3
Kupalue (Weed) AC13 HP 9/9 HD 2/2 PP12*
Ukee AC12 HP 3/3 HD 1/1 PP13
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
WoodRot1
0; WoodRot2 0; WoodRot3 0;
Begin Round One
 
Last edited:

Neurotic

Adventurer
"More undead!?"
He looks over the brutes.
"Hey, rot brain, why don't you go bury yourself in advance?!" He calls out to the closest giant his words laced with magic after which he growls at the hunters and both of them reach for their bows.

Myrral:
Religion check: 1D20+1 = [8]+1 = 9 (undead?)
Action: Vicious Mockery
Psychic damage: 1D4 = [4] = 4
and will save DC 13 or disadvantage on the next attack

The hunters
Attack the same giant, 2x short bow: +5 / 1d6+3 piercing
Shortbow attack vs Z4; damage: 1D20+5 = [14]+5 = 19
1D6+3 = [4]+3 = 7
1D20+5 = [3]+5 = 8
1D6+3 = [2]+3 = 5
HIT for 7 and a miss (unless somehow AC 8)
 
Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Qawasha was feeling a bit despondent. He was beginning to suspect that he had gotten his bearings wrong, and the Death Curse becoming more potent was weighting down on him.

And now this?!?

"I will slow down the one in the back!" he shouted.

Action: Cast Entangle on woodrot at position AE6. Strength save DC 12 or be retrained. 20 by 20 area around the giant becomes difficult terrain (he will try to place it so that the giant is at the edge, not the centre of the zone, ie has more of entangle area to cross to reach the party)

AC: 11 (16 With Barkskin), Hit Points 27 (5d8 + 5)
Speed 30 ft.
STR 10 (+0) DEX 12 (+1) CON 13 (+1) INT 12 (+1) WIS 15 (+2) CHA 11 (+0)
Skills Medicine +4, Nature +3, Perception +4 (passive 14), Survival +4

Magic: DC 12, to hit +4.
Slots:
4/4, 2/3
Cantrips: druidcraft, produce flame, shillelagh
Spells: Level 1 entangle, longstrider, speak with animals, thunderwave, Level 2: animal messenger, barkskin

Attack: +2 to hit (staff), 1d6/1d8 dmg. Shillelagh: +4 to hit, 1d8+2 dmg

OOC: I don't know if it's my monitor or if I'm color bind, but I don't see blue on that map, the bottom left of it is a dirty grayish green to me. not blue. Not a criticism, just peculiar).
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
OOC: You're right, it's not very blue, it's more grey, and it has green blobs, which I guess are floating plant-matter. It's not very blue in the world of the game, either, being floodwater over jungle. It does look blue-er on my mapmaker, but I think I was just trying to not over-complicate the descriptions. I assume no-one is having too much trouble telling what's water and what's not. I hope.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Harb turns at the tabaxi's utterance, barely understanding what was said. But he has no difficulty understanding the brutish undead creature a short distance from him. Not sure gow to fight such a beast, he dashes in, and strikes at it's leg, following up with a pair of kicks for good measure.

Move: 20'(even at half-rate he should reach melee.)

Using flurry, 3/4 Ki available
Quarterstaff, 2 Unarmed: 3#1d20+5 14 16 9 1d8+3 5 2#1d4+3 7 6
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Wet Jungle
Afternoon
Round 1

“More bluidy undead,” Dellrak murmured, drawing his greataxe. He strode forward and drew out his spell focus, as well, casting a spell to protect him from undead.

Kasqa rushed forward, readying his spear, and drew up alongside Dellrak to fight with the dwarven ranger.

OOC: Kasqa will move (probably double move) to stand next to Dellrak. If he does have his action left, he will ready it and attack the first thing in melee range.


OOC: Protection from Evil: Attacks by the undead have disadvantage against Dellrak. (100r)


OOC: 30 points of goodberries available.


OOC: Death Curse: You now must spend Hit Dice to regain HP in a Long Rest (as well as a Short one) and you only regain 1 HD at the end of a Long Rest. Additionally, Short Rests take 2 Hours. Everything else about resting follows the usual book-rules.


((Remember Kasqa))

Save:
Move: To V12
Free Object Interaction: Draw greataxe
Action: Cast Protection from Evil
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration: Protection from Evil
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 40/40 HD: 4/4d10+2

Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 1
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/3 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider


Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Myrall saw the creature for what it was: some sort of undead spirit that animated swamp matter into a giant-like form. He mocked it, but it did not seem to understand or did not care. His scouts fired their bows, and Brapp managed to strike one into the mass of rotting vegetation. Grrol was perched in a tree, and the branch bounced as he fired, throwing off his aim.

The jungle around the creatures wilted, as if they had an aura of rot. Still, Qawasha caused the jungle to writhe and entangle the creature that was furthest away, and it became stuck, if only for a moment, as the writhing vines too began to rot away.

Dellrak and Kasqa rushed forward to form a line of defence, stopping at the edge of a very large puddle. Harb was past them in a flash, and he kicked at the creature's leg. It bent low and opened its mouth unnaturally wide; a swarm of black flies exited the maw, bursting forth and biting in a terrible flurry at Harb, Dellrak, and Kasqa.

GM:
(Allies)
Myrall stayed & failed to mock WoodRot3
Brapp
moved to (Q6) & did 7 (bow) damage to WR3
Grrol
stayed & missed WR3
Qawasha
stayed & cast Entangle L1
Harb moved to (Z15) & did 7 (kick) damage to WR3
Dellrak
moved to (V13) & cast Protection from Evil L1
Kasqa dashed to (V14)
(Enemies)
WoodRot3 moved to (AA13) & did 13 (flies) necrotic to Dellrak, Harb & Kasqa[/b]
(dc12 Dex Save to make that 6 damage instead)
WR3 vs Myrral's mockery
dc13 Wis Save: 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21
WR2 vs Qawasha's Entangle
dc12 Str Save: 1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9
WR3 vs Dellrak, Harb, Kasqa with a 30-foot cone of black flies (dc12 Dex save for half)
Damage: 3D6 = [5, 2, 6] = 13
 

Advertisement

Top