log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E (IC) Fitz's Folly


log in or register to remove this ad

The Little Star was slow to take off and not much faster to land. Falx (the master-at-arms) insisted that it would be best to set her down in a place with maximum sight-lines, unobscured by buildings. The Pillar, it was decided, seemed safest.

To get there, the ship crossed the south-west corner of the city, from high above. In the shadow of an outcropping of the cliff-side, in what once would have been a maize field, was a seemingly-abandoned campsite. Three tattered tents surrounded an empty firepit. The largest of the tents had a flagpole from which drooped a moldered yellow banner.

As they neared the Great Rift, where tumbledown ruins clung precariously on the ledge overlooking a lake of bubbling lava, a tribe of red vegepygmies were gathered with a bound frog-folk prisoner. They were going through the motions of some sort of sacrificial ritual. As the Little Star came overhead, they beat their chests in a drum-like warning and they ran for cover, quickly disappearing into the ruins leaving their prisoner alone by the ledge.

Steam from where the river poured into the lava obscured their view and the Little Star rose in the hot air. The crew worked feverishly to keep her under control, and eventually they lowered her to the ground in a grassy open space on the Pillar, in front of a walled ruin overgrown with palms.

Pillar.jpg
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
"Weed, stay here," says Miss Imogen when she sees the vegepygmies retreat for cover. She leaps over the gunwales, her bow slung over he shoulder, and she approaches the prisoner with open hands.

OOC: This pillar has no visible connection to the rest of the city, is that right? Fighting a T-rex may have made more sense...
 

OOC:
This pillar has no visible connection to the rest of the city, is that right? Fighting a T-rex may have made more sense...
I made a few things unclear in my desire to move ahead.
1) It has no connections - the idea was to have a place to land that you can check out to get a "feel" for the place before spreading out further. This might mean relocating the ship, or leaving it here and finding another way across.
2) The grung (frog-folk) prisoner is on the other side of the rift. They were in the city, taking him to the ledge. (You flew over him). You can still "approach", in that you can call out to him. You can get within 50 feet of him if you go to the top-left edge of the pillar (where you can see the other side on the map).
3) What are you others doing? The pillar is fairly densely overgrown with plants, but it's only about 200 feet in diameter. It could quickly be searched around the outside of the crumbling walls of the compound.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
As they flew over the campsite, Harb had an idle thought which caused him to reach into a belt pouch and pull out a small square shaped wooden token with what looks like a family crest emblazoned upon it. He fingers the object absently remembering a meeting from what now seems an age ago. Eventually, the mood passed and he boted the position of the camp hoping to be able to follow up on the thought later.

As the ship settled down though, he called Ukee to sit on his shoulder and set off to do what he did best scout out the perimeter of the aisle to search for signs of inhabitants and danger both.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Sacrifices are normal in these tribes. We shouldn't interfere, we really don't need enemies here. You could be saving vegepigmy from the grung next."

Myrral comments. "The life in the jungle is harsh and those whose tribe abandons them perish."

OOC: We should leave all of the NPCs with the ship. While they help somewhat in skill challenges and even less in combat, they are more of a nuisance, especially in the dungeon.
Also, level up. 3rd level spell = Tiny Hut :) Hard decision between that and Hypnotic pattern and dispel magic
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
The Little Star
Omu
Round 0

Dellrak hopped out of the airship and grabbed the mooring line, tying it off to a sturdy tree to keep the airship anchored.

“I’ll search the perimeter,” the dwarf said, disappearing into the dense foliage to take a look around the pillar and outside the ruin.

Stealth: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15
Perception: 1D20+ = [9]+ = 9


OOC: 30 goodberries available.


OOC: Death Curse: You now must spend Hit Dice to regain HP in a Long Rest (as well as a Short one) and you only regain 1 HD at the end of a Long Rest. Additionally, Short Rests take 2 Hours. Everything else about resting follows the usual book-rules.


Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:
Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+2

Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 1
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit


Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 


The sticks disembarked on the palm-covered "island" and spread out to make sure the area was safe. Miss Imogen moved to see what had happened to the frog-folk prisoner, but by the time she got to the opposite ledge, it had squirmed out of its bonds, and was hopping away. Weed (who she had told to stay put) had followed her, curious as he was about the local version of his people.

The others circled the "island", which appeared to be deserted of all but plants and stonework. The tabaxi were convinced that they would not even find any small animals for lunch - no rodents, not even birds.

OOC: Want to check the ruins? Doesn't appear to be any activity in there.
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Miss Imogen giggles when she sees weed bouncing along behind her. She scoops him up in an arm, and when she looks back the frog-folk was no longer to be seen. She shrugged, pleased he got away, at least for now.

She looks back at the skyship, and then turns towards the ruins.
 


Rodrigo carefully approached the ruins while listening for sounds within. The ruin was a squat, stone building surrounded by palms and overgrown with vines and ferns. It was surrounded by a lone stone wall, though much of it was crumbled. The main building appeared mostly intact, and it entrance was marked by a worn stone staircase that led to archway flanked by reliefs of coiled serpents. The archway was carved with writing in an obscure cuneiform.

Rodrigo was confident that nothing was making any noise from inside the structure. From behind him Qawasha called out, "I believe it is a temple devoted to one of the Omuan Trickster totemic deities - the serpent. Would you like me to translate that writing? It might take me a moment, and I would have to move closer. Perhaps you would guard me while I work."
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Harb materialized out of the bushes nearby and nodded to Qawasha as he took stock of the temple itself.

"That would be wise."

The monk readied his bow as he moved up to cover the courtyard.
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
"We have you covered, friend Qawasha" says Miss Imogen as she slides her bow off her shoulder, after setting Weed down by her feet. "Stay close," she tells him, as if it will do any good.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
The Little Star
Omu
Round 0

Dellrak hefted his axe. “I’ll come with yeh,” he told Qawasha.

Kasqa joined on the druid’s other side with his spear.


OOC: 9 goodberries available.


OOC: Death Curse: You now must spend Hit Dice to regain HP in a Long Rest (as well as a Short one) and you only regain 1 HD at the end of a Long Rest. Additionally, Short Rests take 2 Hours. Everything else about resting follows the usual book-rules.


Kasqa: 17/17 HD 3/3
Move:
Action:
Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+2

Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 1
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 4/4 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider
2) 2/2 Misty Step (Horizon Walker, BA), Healing Spirit


Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
Hu’plo (NPC) Chultan
Kasqa (NPC) - Chultan warrior
 

Qawasha and Dellrak moved to the archway while Harb and Imogen covered them with their bows. Weed, for his part, put a stone in his leaf-sling and disappeared under a fern. It took Qawasha a full twenty minutes to decipher the writing, saying:

"It is Old Chultan - it would have been oddly archaic when Omu was thriving. Still, I think I have it, it says: 'The Serpent Moa teaches (shows) us that secrets (or perhaps lies) hide the truth (or mask the true face)'. You see? I told you these totemic deities are not to be trusted. Moa is their god of deceit. This is a temple to his teachings."
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
"A riddle within a riddle perhaps? We must take great care while exploring this place."

And with that, Harb slipped into the courtyard, cautiously looking for danger and perhaps clues related to the writing.

Perception: 1d20+5 11
Stealth: 1d20+6 20
Sneaky as hell, but not very perceptive. Yep! Sounds like Harb's standard scouting MO!
 

As Harb gracefully stepped forward, Qawasha nodded and returned to the relative safety of the ship. Falx, the master-at-arms was scanning the opposite "shore's" cliff-side with a spy-glass, in case of trouble there, and he nodded to the Sticks that it was safe to proceed with investigating the ruined temple.

The captain and her crew kept the ship ready to go. It was actually difficult work - the ship kept trying to rise in the heated air that came from the lava below. They could choose to set the ship down in a more permanent fashion, but then it would take much more time to lift-off in case of trouble. Kasqa and Hup'lo stood guarding the gang-plank, in case the Sticks needed to embark in a hurry.

The overgrown courtyard led to the stairs, the stairs led though the archway, and the archway led to a dark, rubble-strewn corridor with walls that were carved with serpents. Dark arrow-slits were spaced at regular intervals along both sides of the corridor. Cobwebs filled the arrow slits and hung like drapes from the corridor ceiling.
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Miss Imogen positions herself at the mouth of the corridor, but maintains a rear position, hesitant to proceed.

"Watch for traps," she advises, unsure exactly how best to do that. She has one of her few remaining arrows nocked, her eyes struggling to adjust to the sudden darkness.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Seeing no immediate danger on their way into the structure Harb went to the corridor and frowned into the darkness. He had no way of seeing without a light source, and he'd need to see to spot any traps before setting them off. Regretfully, he stowed his bow, held his staff with one hand and lit a torch in the other.

"I would suggest that none follow until I am across."

Cautiously he held out his torch to illuminate the way, studying what lay in his path.

Perception: 1d20+5 23
I think I remember Investigation being a thing, but Harb is no good at that. Assuming a -1 instead of a +5 would put that roll at a 17.
 

Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top