• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ussal assumed that this room was some sort of decorated bathing room. He moved to see if the torch activated another secret door. As he touched the object the blackened skeleton made a gasping noise, opening its mouth, and suddenly the volcano-mosaic on the wall erupted, sending a lava-like substance spraying into the room. The ground shook, and the others (who had stayed out of the room to observe) watched in horror as Ussal burst into flames from the barest touch of the lava spray. The flames quickly died down, but there was nothing remaining of Ussal but a pile of ash on the floor.

OOC: Ussal takes 22 fire damage (11 if you make a dc20 DEX save). Spells won't help, as the room has an undetectable anti-magic field, I'm afraid. Acererak is a jerk.

When the fire around him died down, Ussal found that he was in another chamber, similar in size to the first. It smelled moldy, and its damp walls were covered with living snails and oysters, and featured sculptural reliefs of tidal waves in the act of destroying coastal cities and swamping ships. A merfolk skeleton was embedded in the far wall, like the human one in the first room. It clutched an iron sconce fitted with a burning red candle that cast the chamber in a dim, eerie light. Suddenly, lukewarm water began to pour into the chamber from rows of holes in the ceiling. The water cooled his burnt flesh, but it didn't ease his concern. There appeared to be no way out.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The voice came again from the gaping maw of the devil-head, "That's probably IT for that guy. You'll be next if you don't find a place to hide! There's room for one in here, but the rest of you will have to find your own place!"

Save: Dex save: 1d20+2+4 = [11]+2+4 = 17 FAIL
OOC: Note that Ussal has Magic resistance, just in case something that hits him is magical :)
-> Resistances - Magic
-> Immunity to poison

Ussal looks around for the moment and then quickly bathes in the incoming water, just in case he gets hit with fire again. Because he slither back quickly and pulls the iron sconce, just like he did earlier in the skeleton room.

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Watch out! Chrysagon warned Ussal, but it was too late. Lava flowed all over him and suddenly there was nothing left.
Chrysagon took a step back in horror. Where did he go? he asked nobody in particular. What shall we do?
The devil-head's voice started to get on Chrysagon's nerves. Can't you just be quiet unless you have something useful to say! He took a deep breath and asked the devil-head camly; What happened to our friend?

OOC: Chrysagon tries to understand how the stone could really speak. Does the stone animates and move its lips?
Perception/Investigation Check: 1D20+0 = [12]+0 = 12, add +3 if Insight is required.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"How should I know?" answered the voice from the devil-head's mouth, "This place is insane."

Chrysagon looked inside the gaping maw, and saw a tiny lizard hiding under its carved tongue. He was still trying to figure out where the voice was coming from when the lizard opened its mouth and said, "Quit drawing attention to me! Either get in here, or go away!"

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Myrrals fur stands on end.
"Mrrrow! He burned down to ash!"
A moment later the brain catches on "No, his magic metal armor wouldn't burn so completely. He's somewhere, maybe trapped. I'll try the trap again."

Myrral casts mage hand pulling the lever again.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Again, a hot lava-like substance poured into the room, bathing everything in a hot glow before mysteriously disappearing through holes in the floor. Ussal was still no where to be seen.

Ussal grabbed the torch-sconce held in the hand of a long-dead merfolk. Unfortunately, pulling it only caused water to flow into the room faster. He was quickly running out of air-space as the room filled to more than half full. The oysters on the walls began to happily open and a fish darted by - though where it had come from, Ussal could only guess.

Ussal, as all yuan-ti, isn't prone to emotion or panic. He starts breathing deeply while he manipulates the lever in different directions for several seconds.

Deciding he wasted enough time, he quickly and thoroughly investigates the room.

If he finds even very small opening
he releases his flying coatl, scribbling the note for his companions, telling them the situation he's in.
"Burned and teleported. The room fills with water. Hurry."

OOC:
1 round od pulling, pushing, rotating and otherwise moving the lever in all dimensions
1 round of writing, replacing his tablet saying put me in my armor.
Investigate
Investigation: 1D20+7 = [19]+7 = 26
Add 4 if Flash of genius applies in dead magic zone (1 remaining after this) - how much time does it take?

how did Myrral cast into magic dead zone? Or is it because of my spirit or because I was hit by lava?

Last edited:

Remove ads