• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"No, of course they're not all right!" said the voice coming from the devil-head. "They're in this gods-forsaken place! Now hurry up and find a place to hide!"

Ussal was struck by a flash of inspiration - though the torch-sconce did not seem to budge, he noticed a reoccurring image on the walls. Among the depictions of tidal waves in the act of destroying cities, many of the depictions of the people showed them eating shellfish. It was a curious thing to be doing as a wave threatened to drown you. They could not be unaware of their impending doom. Clams, snails, and oysters were all around him. On top of that, he realized that his magic seemed to be working.[/ooc]

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen does her best to ignre the talking devil head. Its mouth doesn't move, but she does not want to engage with it.

She looks at the room Ussal entered. What does she see? (also, what is the groudn on this level? Stone? Sand? Dirt? Polished Alabaster? Something else?)

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Chrysagon laughed when he saw the little lizard talk. This place gets crazier and crazier by the minute, he said. Now there is a talking lizard hiding in the devil head. He turned to the lizard and said; Hey, Critter! Can you tell us anything useful about this dungeon? What just happened to our friends here?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"They're dead! They're all dead." replied the lizard, "When the Yellow Banner came to me in the jungle, they said, 'come and see the world, Whizbang! You'll love it!' and then they took me here, to this deathtrap! I'd be better off braving a flock of hungry skelebirds!"

He peeked out from behind the devil-tongue and saw Chrysagon's face. His little eyes bulged as he said, "Eep! You got yourself goated! Just like Devlin did! This place is horrible!"

"No, of course they're not all right!" said the voice coming from the devil-head. "They're in this gods-forsaken place! Now hurry up and find a place to hide!"

Ussal was struck by a flash of inspiration - though the torch-sconce did not seem to budge, he noticed a reoccurring image on the walls. Among the depictions of tidal waves in the act of destroying cities, many of the depictions of the people showed them eating shellfish. It was a curious thing to be doing as a wave threatened to drown you. They could not be unaware of their impending doom. Clams, snails, and oysters were all around him. On top of that, he realized that his magic seemed to be working.[/ooc]

Ussal inwardly sighs with relief. Taking care to have two shellfish, just in case, he eats one.

OOC: sorry, missed this part

FitzTheRuke

Legend
After eating the shellfish, Ussal found that he was able to breathe underwater. He swam around for awhile, until he found a cramped opening near the floor that had certainly not been there before.

Qawasha
Race: Human
HP: 50/52
AC: 12/16(Barkskin)
Pass Perc: 17
Pass Inv: 12
Pass Ins: 14
HD: 6/7
Spell Slots:
1st [X ] [X][] [ ]
2nd [] [ ] [ ]
3rd
[X] [ ] [ ]
4th [X ]
Wild shape: 2/2Initiative: +2Spell Save DC: 15
STR: 10+0
DEX: 14 + 2
CON: 14 + 2
INT: 14+2(+5)
WIS: 18 +4(+7)
CHA:11 +0
Medicine: 7
Nature: 5
Perception: 7
Survival:
Natural Recovery: 0/1
Cantrips
Druidcraft, Shillelagh,
Shape water, Produce Flame, Guidance
Memorized spells
1st Speak with Animals, Create Water, Goodberry, Entangle
2nd Animal Messenger, *Barkskin, *Spider Climb, L.Restoration, Spike Growth
3rd , Water Breathing, *Call lightning, *Plant Growth, Daylight
4th: Conjure Woodland being, Stone Shape, *Divination, *Freedom of Movement

"They're dead! They're all dead." replied the lizard, "When the Yellow Banner came to me in the jungle, they said, 'come and see the world, Whizbang! You'll love it!' and then they took me here, to this deathtrap! I'd be better off braving a flock of hungry skelebirds!"

He peeked out from behind the devil-tongue and saw Chrysagon's face. His little eyes bulged as he said, "Eep! You got yourself goated! Just like Devlin did! This place is horrible!"
"You were hired as a guide for the Yellow Banner?

After he got the answer, he turned to the others,

"This place of undeath has been a strain on us all and I have not prayed in some time. I will pray to Ubtao to centre myself and, perhaps receive guidance as I did when I was in the Heart of Ubtao."

He began to take some sacred grasses that he'd collected in the jungle. It was bound with string. He also produced a small, intricately woven bowl made of some kind of leaf, stitched together with fine leather. His hand lit grass and it emitted a sweet smell. He placed the bowl on the ground and waived the grass around it.

"Mighty Ubtao, hear our prayer in this dark place. You are our guide and we follow with grateful stride. Please, guide us now: Do we dare to follow Ussal or has he perished in flames?"

He spoke the words in common so that all could understand but with a Chultan phrase, he pushed the grass into the bowl and they both ignited. The smell was pungent but it seemed to clear people's minds and relaxed the strain in their necks. For a moment nothing happened as Qawasha rocked back and forth inhaling the smoke...

Casting time says one action but it seemed appropriate to the spell description:
Casting Divination

Maybe there was a better question to ask...but the possible death of a party member seems like an appropriate line of questioning.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"A guide?" asked the tiny lizard peering out from under the devil's tongue, "I suppose I acted as one, some of the time, yes. And for the Yellow Banner, poor fools. But I don't understand what you mean by 'hired'. They asked, and I came. What a mistake that was!"

Many people in Chult believed Ubtao to have abandoned them, but Qawasha believed that it was only the city folk who had fallen out of his favor - and it was they who had turned their backs on the God, and not the other way around. As he completed his spell, the smoke of his grass formed into a jungle behemoth (Tyrannosaurus) whose great maw opened wide and bellowed. Those present felt the sound as if it were deep within their own chest, though it echoed not within their ears.

Ubtao suggested action. Ussal lived, they now knew. It was not that it was safe to follow him - it was dangerous - but Ubtao respected the brave. The roar of the smoke-beast could only mean one thing: Go, now! You will find him alive!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads