log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E (IC) (OneShot) JustinCase's Within The Circle

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Goblin lair
Evening
Round 0

Magdalena turned to watch Krig go, making sure he would try no tricks. When she heard the click, she froze, spinning toward the door, rapier ready.

But nothing happened.

"I think the ring opened this door," James said.

“That’s convenient,” Magdalena said, moving forward. She held her torch up to the first few torches to light them as she peered down the exposed corridor. “Should we take a res there before we continue?” she asked.

Perception: 1D20+1 = [19]+1 = 20


[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Object Interaction:
Concentration:
Conditions: Blessed
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspirations:
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 8/12 HD: 1/1d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 0/5

Prepared Spells:

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
Need to buy torches.
[/sblock]
 

log in or register to remove this ad

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
As Magdalena peers into the hallway, she notes that the dust on the floor has not been disturbed in years. It is unlikely any living creature lurks here, and she starts to look back at her allies in relief when she notices that in the bend of the snaking corridor, there is the fine outline of a square patch of floor in the dust. Being 4 feet by 4 feet, it is probably a pressure plate and can be easily circumvented.

Traubon steps forward and scratches his chin. "That corridor wasn't in the muckdwellers' description. Perhaps we'll find the answers the Baron is looking for at the end of it?"
 


KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Goblin lair
Evening
Round 0

With the light from the wall torches, Magdalena snuffed her own torch and put it away. She sheathed her dagger and drew her greatsword. Finally, she could fight properly!

“Careful. There is a pressure plate,” she warned the others, moving around the area.

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Object Interaction:
Concentration:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspirations:
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 8/12 HD: 1/1d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 0/5

Prepared Spells:

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
Need to buy torches.
[/sblock]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC: The torches on the wall of the corridor are currently unlit.


Moving carefully around the pressure plate, where the corridor bends, you walk into the corridor. It snakes its way into the darkness, bending left and right, further into the hill.

James cautiously walks in the front, his eyes scanning for traps. He spots a heavy marble door at the end of the corridor, and does not notice the well-hidden pressure plate beneath his feet, halfway through the hallway.

With a quiet click, James feels the ground beneath his foot sink half an inch. From tiny, unseen openings in the ceiling brief bursts of oily liquid stream down on the unlit torches. An acrid stench fills the corridor.

OOC: Please make a Constitution save for James (DC 10). If he fails, he gets the Poisoned condition.


After encountering these two pressure plates, you quickly find a third. It is exactly between the triggered trap and the marble door, just like the first, evaded trap is between the entrance and the middle of the corridor.
 

Azurewraith

Explorer
OOC: [roll0]

James isn't even phased by the click he assumes the door is opening,right up until the floor starts to sink. The next thing James knows some odd liquid is steaming from the walls and he feels like he spent all night drinking and then picked a fight with a ogre.
 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Feeling hungover but still standing, James carefully avoids the third pressure plate and examines the heavy marble door. There seems to be no handle or lock, instead the stone is carefully made to close off whatever room is beyond from the hall you are now in.

Magdalena and Gorir move into the corridor as well, avoiding the trigger plates and moving alongside James.

You realize there must be a way to open the door, but there is no obvious way.

OOC: Feel free to try something, or if you're stuck, make an Insight roll.
 

Azurewraith

Explorer
James moves his hands around the door looking for any small grooves or indentations, checking the floor/door join for any scuffs or gaps. Finally James pushes on the slab, you never know.
OOC: If all of the above fails to provided results James will inspect the pressure plates
[roll0]
[roll1]
Just a couple rolls use or discard at your leisure feel free to ask for more.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Goblin lair
Evening
Round 0

OOC: Magdalena lit the first few torches, so there should be light. She can keep lighting them as she goes, I guess.


Magdalena followed behind James, and she winced as he found another pressure plate and triggered the acid trap. “Are you okay?” she asked as they examined the marble door.

“Let me try,” Magdalena said, putting her shoulder into the door. Unfortunately the door didn’t budge.

Strength check: 1D20+3 = [1]+3 = 4

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Object Interaction:
Concentration:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspirations:
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 8/12 HD: 1/1d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 0/5

Prepared Spells:

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
Need to buy torches.
[/sblock]
 


EarlyBird

First Post
Thadius looks down on his former companions as he sits in the clouds. "A door with no way to open," he thinks to himself. "Glad I didn't have to deal with that."

He shrugs, but continues to watch contently wishing to know the outcome of all this.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
After searching long and hard, you are convinced there is no handle, switch or anything to open the door. There must be a clockwork mechanic behind it with no outward lever, or perhaps a specific form of magic is needed to gain entrance to the next room.

Traubon seems distracted, not looking at the door bur rather at the neatly placed pressure plates in the floor.

"Odd," he mutters, kneeling down at one, "Isn't the point of a trap to be unexpected? These are placed in obvious distance from one another, easily recognized... And then there is the poison."

He sniffs cautiously, trying to keep the fumes out of his system while still attempting to identify their nature. "Diluted laeriss, if I'm not mistaken. Favored by snakepeople and reptiles, but harmful to humanoids."

OOC: You're almost there... :)
 

Azurewraith

Explorer
"Harmful to humanoids, your telling me ... I'll tell you now I feel like I kissed a runaway carriage. I'll stand here by the door everyone else pick a plate."

OOC: I knew it was the plates.
 
Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Goblin lair
Evening
Round 0

Magdalena frowned at Traubon. “Snake people and reptiles?” she asked. What did that say about this Circle?

Magdalena glared at James as he declined to help with the plates. She shook her head, pushing her dark locks out of her face. She wasn’t feeling all that great herself, but nonetheless went and stood on one of the plates to hopefully open the door.

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Object Interaction:
Concentration:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspirations:
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 8/12 HD: 1/1d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 0/5

Prepared Spells:

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
Need to buy torches.
[/sblock]
 




TallIan

Explorer
Gorir

Gorir watches the discussion about the plates and the poison. "I guess the right sequence is required to open the door. he says walking towards the next plate, he wasn't keen on poisoning himself, but his dwarven constitution meant he was less likely to fall ill than the others. He muttered a prayer to Moradin as he took the final step onto the plate.

Too late he thinks out loud, "Perhaps we should be standing on the plates in the opposite order, since a snake would be slithering from outside towards the door, pressing the farthest plate first then this one, then the one closest."

OOC: Action: Cast Guidance as he steps onto the next nearest plate to the door.


[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
AC: 18 (Chain and Shield)
Initiative: +0
HP: 11/11 HD: 1/1d8

Conditions: Blessed (add 1d4 to attack rolls and saves for 1 min)
Concentration: Bless 10/10

Offense:
Warhammer: +4 5ft 1d8+2S
ShortSword: +4 5ft 1d6+2P
Light Crossbow: +2 80/320ft 1d8P

Warpriest 2/3 per long rest

SPELLS: Cantrips
Guidance; Sacred Flame; Spare the Dying
level 1: 1/2
Bless; Command; Healing Word; Sanctuary
[/SBLOCK]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Magdalena places one foot gently on the pressure plate closest to the door, and as the weight sinks the area slightly, a faint *click* can be heard... but nothing obvious happens.

Gorir then stands on the second plate, and like before when James triggered it, a *click* resounds and a sputtering of liquid falls from the ceiling and onto the torches. It hisses upon contacting the flames of the burning torches, and the corridor starts to smell faintly of burned old socks.

Traubon, curious to see what the last plate does, moves back and places his full weight on the trigger that Magdalena spotted, just inside the corridor.

With a bang that drowns out the now familiar *click*, the door back to the throne room slams shut and the torches lining the wall flare up, igniting those that weren't lit. The marble door at the end, however, is still closed.

"Interesting," the dwarven scholar mutters, then shouts, "Is the other door now open?"

OOC: Please make a DC10 Constitution save for Gorir, with advantage, to avoid gaining the Poisoned condition.

Magdalena, Gorir: Did you keep your weight on the plates, or did you take your feet off?
 


Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top