• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

5E (IC) (OneShot) JustinCase's Within The Circle

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Gorir, ready for the stream of poison, has a hand before his mouth and nose, which helps to filter the smelly substance. He manages to keep out enough of the stuff to keep going. The stream of poison from the ceiling continues unabated, however, while Gorir stands on the second pressure plate.

Nothing else seems to happen.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC: Alright, in effect the following sequence was triggered, counting from where you came in: Plate 3, plate 2, plate 1.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Goblin lair
Evening
Round 0

“Well, that didn’t work,” Magdalena murmured, stepping off her plate. “Let’s try 1, 2, 3?”

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Object Interaction:
Concentration:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspirations:
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 8/12 HD: 1/1d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 0/5

Prepared Spells:

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
Need to buy torches.
[/sblock]
 

TallIan

Explorer
Gorir

After a cough and a snort Gorir takes his weight off the plate and waits for the first plate to be depressed before adding his own weight to the second plate.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]AC: 18 (Chain and Shield)
Initiative: +0
HP: 11/11 HD: 1/1d8

Conditions: Blessed (add 1d4 to attack rolls and saves for 1 min)
Concentration: Bless 10/10

Offense:
Warhammer: +4 5ft 1d8+2S
ShortSword: +4 5ft 1d6+2P
Light Crossbow: +2 80/320ft 1d8P

Warpriest 2/3 per long rest

SPELLS: Cantrips
Guidance; Sacred Flame; Spare the Dying
level 1: 1/2
Bless; Command; Healing Word; Sanctuary[/SBLCOK]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Pressing the plates in the order in which they were encountered, Traubon puts his weight on the first - nothing happens. Then Gorir presses the second, and like before, a spurt of poison erupts from the ceiling, but the dwarf is ready for it and knows how to keep from breathing in the foul stuff. Then Magdalena presses the third plate.

Three thing happen at once. The door back to the throne room reopens, allowing the smelly poison to disperse. At the same time the torches that line the wall are extinguished, leaving only Magdalena's handheld torch to light the corridor.

And also the large marble door slides open, revealing a small, circular room with no other doors.

This snug room is dominated by a giant serpentine altar. The altar has been cast from copper and resembles a coiled serpent, its hood spread over a waist-high podium, stretching all the way to the ceiling. A golden bowl, dagger, and a large leather-bound tome rest on the podium.

serpentine altar.png
 

Azurewraith

Explorer
"This is totally a trap" James looks around for pressure plates, Tripwires or places for very large boulders to fall down
OOC: [roll0]
OOC:
 

TallIan

Explorer
Gorir

Carefully, without moving his weight Gorir examines the alter from where he is, racking his brain for anything he may have learned about a serpentine religion.

Religion check: 1D20+3 = [12]+3 = 15


[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]AC: 18 (Chain and Shield)
Initiative: +0
HP: 11/11 HD: 1/1d8

Conditions: Blessed (add 1d4 to attack rolls and saves for 1 min)
Concentration: Bless 10/10

Offense:
Warhammer: +4 5ft 1d8+2S
ShortSword: +4 5ft 1d6+2P
Light Crossbow: +2 80/320ft 1d8P

Warpriest 2/3 per long rest

SPELLS: Cantrips
Guidance; Sacred Flame; Spare the Dying
level 1: 1/2
Bless; Command; Healing Word; Sanctuary[/SBLOCK]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
James studies the room meticulously, all the usual spots, then the rare spots, then the impossible spots. He finds no pressure plates, no trip wires, no collapsing ceilings, no other forms of traps. Not a thing. Except - wait, that tome on the altar; there is a simple lock on it and by accident James' eye falls on the tiny needle hidden in the lock mechanism. No doubt a needle dipped in a potent poison!

[sblock=Gorir]
When Gorir thinks about serpentine religions, his first thought is that there is a race of snake people called yuan-ti; a coldhearted folk revering the most ruthless aspects of snakes and reptiles. There are stories of a great but depraved yuan-ti kingdom in the distant past, and disguised yuan-ti trying to topple other societies in order to replace them with their serpentine way of life. As far as Gorir knows, however, those stories are mostly myths and are set in warm faraway places.

The other option he can think of is a cult devoted to some fiendish, snakelike evil, such as a marilith. The violent and chaotic nature of such a demon, however, seems at odds with the long term dealings the Baron has had with the mysterious Circle.
[/sblock]
 

Azurewraith

Explorer
OOC: Oh I the book is closed abs locked shut I thought it was open as in the picture.

James wonders if he could simply snap the needle with his dagger as opposed to fiddling about with his thieves tools.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Goblin lair
Evening
Round 0

Magdalena jumped as the doors opened and the lights went out again. “Helm curse it!” she muttered, readying her dagger for an attack. But none came, so she eyed the room and the strange podium inside. Then she looked around for something to prop open the doors so they could get off the pressure plates.

Perception: 1D20+1 = [7]+1 = 8

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Object Interaction:
Concentration:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspirations:
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 8/12 HD: 1/1d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 0/5

Prepared Spells:

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
Need to buy torches.
[/sblock]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
James is pretty certain he can disable the needle with his dagger, or at least change its direction so it won't hurt anyone. The lock itself seems pretty simple and inviting to open with thieves' tools. The book might hold the information the Baron is looking for.

Magdalena looks around and the only things she can think of that can hold open the doors are their backpacks and weapons. The altar piece holding the tome might be suitable, too, but that would require getting off the plates first.

OOC: Yeah, I found it strange too that the book is open in the picture, but in the text it isn't. Little inconsistencies in this adventure.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Goblin lair
Evening
Round 0

“Can someone not standing on a pressure plate prop those doors with something so we don’t get trapped in here?” Magdalena asked. “We can’t exactly move to help until you do.”

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Object Interaction:
Concentration:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Inspirations:
AC: 16 (chainmail)
HP: 8/12 HD: 1/1d10
Divine Sense (3/LR)
Lay on Hands 0/5

Prepared Spells:

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
[/sblock]

[sblock=Notes]
Need to buy torches.
[/sblock]
 

Azurewraith

Explorer
"Good idea, will give me time to work on this trap. " James calls back. James searches the room for something to wedge the door even a little bit.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
James moves into the room and carefully takes the altar piece upon which the tome rests, and carries it back to the door. The heavy metal structure now resting at an awkward angle, the half-elf moves it a few times until he is satisfied the door will remain open.
 

Azurewraith

Explorer
"There we go that should do it I hope" Happy with the door James sets off to sort out that book he jabs his dagger into the lock and gives it a little wiggle careful not to damage the lock itself. Examining the lock once the needle is out the way he sets to work.
OOC: [roll=thieves tools] 1d20+2[/roll]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Disabling the needle trap is easy, and James manages to open the simple lock. Opening the tome, the half-elf sees pages upon pages with flowing script he does not recognize. The papyrus-like thin sheets have strange acrid smell, and each page has set of ring-shaped punctures in the lower corner.

Now that he is within the room, James sees the sacrificial bowl and dagger have obvious serpent motifs.
 

Azurewraith

Explorer
"All done can anyone make heads or tails of this?" rapidly losing interest in the book James turns his attention to the other objects in the room then the actual room itself.
 

TallIan

Explorer
Gorir

Satisfies that the door won't close and trap them in, Gorir goes to look at the book, taking it from James when he loses interest, Gorir tries to make some sense of the script - or at least identify what it is from.

Religion check: 1D20+5 = [17]+5 = 22


[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]AC: 18 (Chain and Shield)
Initiative: +0
HP: 11/11 HD: 1/1d8

Conditions: Blessed (add 1d4 to attack rolls and saves for 1 min)
Concentration: Bless 10/10

Offense:
Warhammer: +4 5ft 1d8+2S
ShortSword: +4 5ft 1d6+2P
Light Crossbow: +2 80/320ft 1d8P

Warpriest 2/3 per long rest

SPELLS: Cantrips
Guidance; Sacred Flame; Spare the Dying
level 1: 1/2
Bless; Command; Healing Word; Sanctuary[/SBLOCK]
 

Advertisement

Top