• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.

5E (IC) Rise of the Dracolich

gargoyleking

Explorer
The screeches were receding, Mord stumbled out of the darkness, looking about. He looked worse for wear, worse than he'd ever been before. And he seemed to be angry about it.

"I need a chance to rest. And, create new bodyguards..." He looked about in disgust at the strewn kobold corpses, considering their equipment.
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Kalorn spat blood on the ground, then closed his eyes, concentrating for a moment. He grimaced, but stood a bit straighter and said "well that was a mess wasn't it. Still, we're all alive. I'm nearly spent, and so are a few of you I suspect.

We can either hole up in a a defensive position and regain some strength, or send a messenger to our would be contact - we know where she is. Who knows what the kobolds will do with a bit of time - or the villagers above. "


(OOC: Kalorn uses fiendish vigor to gain 7 temp hp)

[sblock=minisheet]Kalorn of Mulmaster, the cursed sell-sword (Fighter(eldrich knight) 3/Warlock(hexblade) 5; alt-human, soldier)
HP: 38/63, Hit dice: 8/8
Temp HP: 7/7
AC: 16 Temp AC:
Passive Perception 15
Saves: Str: +5, Dex: -1, Con: +5, Int: +0 , Wis: +2, Cha: +3
Warlock slots remaining = 1/2. EK slots remaining = 2/2
Action surge = 1/1. Second wind = 0/1, hexblade curse = 0/1
Potions of healing remaining: 6[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
As he cleaned the Nail (it would have been nice had he been able to prepare the giant slayer!) he added "Still... 3 trolls and a hord of kobold? Well done."

He added under his breath "let's hope the dragon is not about to show up"
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
Sesto catches his breath while the remaining kobolds runs away.
“Yes, Kalorn, we achieved a great victory”, Sesto agreed, “but it came at a great cost. Look, Mord is on his knees and Loklafd is bleeding badly from many cuts.”
Sesto waved Loklafd closer. “Gather up. I will patch up both of you.” And with those words he raised his shield and presented the emblem of Lathander. Healing energy swirled out and wrapped around Mord and Loklafd. Bleeding cuts closed and burn-marks faded.
Sesto felt exhausted. It was always tiresome to channel Lathander’s divinity into healing but everyone should be able to continue a little longer, for now, at least.
“We should continue. Those Kobolds are probably getting reinforcements as we speak. Let’s find this wizard.”

OOC: Sesto uses Channel Divinety (Preserve Life) to bring Mord and Loklafd up to half their max HP. Their is 40 HP to share (5 times character level). Everyone else should already be at or above their max HP. If not, there are still a few HP to go around.
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Sesto catches his breath while the remaining kobolds runs away.
“Yes, Kalorn, we achieved a great victory”, Sesto agreed, “but it came at a great cost. Look, Mord is on his knees and Loklafd is bleeding badly from many cuts.”
Sesto waved Loklafd closer. “Gather up. I will patch up both of you.” And with those words he raised his shield and presented the emblem of Lathander. Healing energy swirled out and wrapped around Mord and Loklafd. Bleeding cuts closed and burn-marks faded.
Sesto felt exhausted. It was always tiresome to channel Lathander’s divinity into healing but everyone should be able to continue a little longer, for now, at least.
“We should continue. Those Kobolds are probably getting reinforcements as we speak. Let’s find this wizard.”

OOC: Sesto uses Channel Divinety (Preserve Life) to bring Mord and Loklafd up to half their max HP. Their is 40 HP to share (5 times character level). Everyone else should already be at or above their max HP. If not, there are still a few HP to go around.
OOC: Kalorn is above half, but still down 25 HP, not sure what that means for your spell/power...
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
OOC:
Location: Ice Caves; Encounter: Kobolds & Ice-Trolls


End Round Five; Begin Round Six


[sblock=Party (PCs)]
Name * (Position) * AC * HP * Notes
Primus (T19) PP19 AC11(16) HP 29/59 HD 7/8
Alhana (T16) PP14* AC17 HP 68/68 HD 8/8
Mord (W17) PP11* AC14 HP 4/51 HD 5/8
Lorenn (S18) PP14* AC17(20) HP 17(27?)/54 HD 6/8
Sesto (R17) PP15 AC18* HP 36(46?)/59 HD 5/8
Kalorn (S19) PP15 AC16(21)* HP 38(48?)/63 HD 8/8
[/sblock]
[sblock=Allies (NPCs)]
*Eko (XX) PP13 AC11 HP 0/1 (Burnt)
Loklafd (S17) PP12 AC14 HP 18/58 HD 7/9
Sooty (U20) PP11** AC12 HP 1/1
[/sblock]
Only Albans is at full health. The rest are at or above max HP. Sesto has 3x lvl 1 spell slots left, 1x lvl 3 and 1x lvl 4.
What is the best strategy? Maybe heal all frontline fighters first?
Best use of resources would possibly be that Sesto casts Beacon of Hope so that everyone regains the max number of HP from any healing, including healing potions.
Lvl 1 Cure wound: 1d8+5+3 (disciple of life)
I can use the first level spells to heal frontline fighters and I can drink a potion or two.
Is Primus a frontline fighter?


 
Last edited:

tglassy

Explorer
OOC: Primus is not a front line fighter. He can be a face if he has to but he does better as a control caster.
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OOC: The problem is that we only have one front line tank - Kalorn - and he wasn't designed as a solo front line fighter. So that means that Sesto and Lorenn have to fill in the gap :/

Damn [MENTION=6899077]EarlyBird[/MENTION] leaving was a loss to the community :(
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
Mord accepted the healing although he scowled slightly at Sesto's insistence on continuing forward.

"If we must, though I cannot cast any more large spells until we do rest. Give me 20 minutes though, and we can at least have some chaff to throw into our enemies faces. Also, considering past experiences with this cult, it may be advisable to destroy the bodies that I don't use now."
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
"We now where the wizard is, my familiar spotted her."

(ooc: player isn't 100% sure how we obtained the info, but we definitely did)

I suppose we could send her a note? Or perhaps send a scout ahead to talk to her. Perhaps this time we can do so without waking up the entire complex...
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
Mord accepted the healing, though he did smirk slightly at some private joke.

"While they probably think they know what we are here for, I believe that we've dropped enough false clues to confuse them. In the meantime, we need to find a place to recover some of our strength and determine our next steps. Let us continue our original plan to meet with this frog queen. Perhaps they will still be amenable to negotiate."
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
It was decided to give mord some time to create himself some bodyguards. He was originally going to animate the kobold bodies, but as he communed with the obsidian dagger he felt that it's magic had altered a bit as his connection to it had grown. He had the others drag two of the troll bodies into the chamber with the frozen giant and laid out for the ritual. The other bodies were to be searched and disposed of somehow, though he had no attention for such details. It took twenty minutes all told as worked the ritual first on one body and then on the second.

He'd warned the others that any who were squeamish or adverse to the creation of undead should stay out of the chamber.

The rituals themselves were rather simple, and understated. He walked around the corpses, muttering incantations and drawing sigils in the ice with the tip of the blade and then standing over the corpse's chest, thrust the blade deep into the meat above it's heart. After a moment, the flesh began to boil away leaving nothing but bones. The skeletal troll stands and then he retrieves the dagger from between his new minion's ribs.
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
Everyone seem to agree that they should continue on to the Toad Queen. Maybe Oopee ran ahead to forewarn her. With any luck, and maybe a bit of charm, they could get some well earned rest there.
Still, it would be best to install some hope and vitality in the group. Sesto waved his hands in a complex pattern and chanted a short phrase. All in the group seemed to cheer up and exerted some renewed hope.
Next, Sesto walked over to Lorenn and placed a healing hand on his bruises and sores, which grew less immediately. Kalorn and Mord received the same treatment, although Mord seemed a bit reluctant which surprised Sesto. He couldn’t understand the scowl he received in return.
Nevertheless, Sesto walked over to Primus and Loklafd offering them a Healing potion each, and urged them to drink it promptly. Alhana looked like she had emerged unscathed from the fight.
After all these good deeds, Sesto feels quite refreshed himself. If you have a healing potion, now is the time to drink it to receive full effect! I can only concentrate on this benefit for a short while longer, he says and swigs a potion himself.

OOC: Sesto casts Beacon of Hope, which enables regaining max HP of any healing, amongst other things.
Sesto casts Cure Wounds on Mord, Kalorn and Lorenn. They heal 16 HP each (max 1d8+5+3 (Diciple of Life)). Primus and Loklafd regain 10 HP from the healing potions (max 2d4+2).
Sesto regains 9 HP from casting 3 level 1 healing spells (Blessed Healer, 2+spell level) and 10 HP from healing potion.
Primus: +10 hp, 39/59
Alhana: +0 hp, 68/68
Mord: +16 hp, 41/51 (previous received Channel Divinity to ½ max hp)
Lorenn: +16 hp, 43/54
Kalorn: +16 hp, 54/63
Loklafd: +10 hp, 39/58 (previous received Channel Divinity to ½ max hp)
Sesto: +19 hp, 55/59
Correct me if I have the hp wrong.

Sesto has 1 level 4 spell slot left and 3 healing potions.
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
From a distance, Sesto spend some time watching Mord performing the ritual to re-animate the dead trolls. He feels quite repulsed and must look away when Mord stabs the troll in its chest.
Still, it is very convenient to “re-use” fallen enemies to your own advantage. Surly the Gods would approve. The Mord-Guard proved themselves very effective as shields, if nothing else.
Sesto had the previous morning asked Lathander for guidance in this area and had received some hints. A drop of blood, a piece of flesh and a pinch of bone dust. A short ritual, which did not include stabbing the corpse, and some intricate hand movements.
The drop of blood was easy, he could just prick himself with the dagger. A piece of flesh he could retrieve from a dead kobold and, luckily, he had some bone dust in his components pouch. The words and hand movements were just briefly described but Sesto thought he should be able to recreate them.
As Mord was starting his second ritual, Sesto walked over to the pile of dead kobolds and performed the one minute ritual to the best of his ability.

OOC: Sesto casts Animate Dead at 4th level generating 3 zombie kobolds. [MENTION=59816]FitzTheRuke[/MENTION], you can decide if Sesto is successful or not.
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
While the others were preparing rituals, Kalorn - taking his time - hacked some steps in the ice us the slope using his hand axes.

He grunted at Mord's hulking creations - a disturbing display of power, but he had to admit he wouldn't mind they taking the brunt of attacks instead of him. Would surely impress the ice toads too. His face scowled at Sesto's raising the kobold corpses though. A priest of Lathender raising undead?! That wasn't right...

It's not a competition you know he snapped at the priest.

(OOC: are we taking a short rest?)
 

Fradak

Explorer
Lathander's warmth was welcome in those frozen caves. Invigorate by the healing, Lorenn bowed to Sesto and joined Kalorn to help with the improvised stairs, adding a stair rope and some pitons.
"I was on my way to Maccarth when I heard your fight. It seems I came back just at the right time...", he said with a smile. "But I agree, I would rather not fight the Dracolich. Let's hope it's not to late for the sneaky approach."

As everyone was casting rituals, Lorenn used his magic to understand every languages then called back Eko.
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Kalorn nodded at Lorenn as he took out pitons - miracles, someone had them, and Lorenn of all people! - and added - "Well, we did raise a bloody racket, but the dragon isn't here either so... maybe?. Let's leave this here for now, we may need to pass here quickly again later"

After receiving the healing magic from Sesto, he answered, somewhat flatly, "Praise be Lathander".. With a bit more warmth, he limbered his shoulders and added "Feeling a bit better now in fact"
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
One kobold rose slowly. It skin was a paler shade of blue and it had a gaping hole where it had been stabbed. Then another kobold rose and then a few more. It was creepy to see but Sesto was jumping from foot to foot with excitement. This was beyond his expectations. One or two zombies, yes, but five! That was beyond belief!
Sesto composed himself and inspected his new charges. Time to test what they could do. He mentally ordered them around: Walk over there... the one Sesto focused on moved to the spot. Come to me... another kobold approached and then stopped in front of Sesto. Stand in a line... all zombie kobolds scrambled into position. Lift... Guard... Pull... the zombie kobolds obliged. The zombies were small and slow, and not very strong, but they could be useful for sure. Next, Sesto ordered the zombies to move all the dead bodies and pile them up in the corner of the cave with the frozen giants. Best to leave as few clues around as possible, Sesto thought.

Sesto agreed with Kalorn; It's time to move on. Sesto paused and looked at Lorenn's and Kalorn's handiwork and added; Nice stairs!
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
With the various undead raised and the steep slope made more easily passable, Imani's agents continued to travel counter-clockwise in the circular corridor. The first side-tunnel they came to was not far from the top of the slope and on the left - a chamber which had been scouted by familiars and held the upward-chute that led to the Ice Hunter Village's Town Hall.

At first, the chamber appeared to be empty except for three bundles of rolled-up sealskins sitting where a ladder descended from the chute above. Then from a bed of piled furs that had been arranged in the southwest corner, just out of view of the entrance, came the sound of loud coughing. An Ice Hunter was bundled up here, sick with some illness and quarantined from the village above.

When approached, he rolled over in his sick-bed and peered silently at the newcomers, his face pale and sweaty in spite of the cold.
 
Last edited:

Advertisement

Top