D&D 5E (IC) Rise of the Dracolich

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Ooc: we need to

1: confer with Imani - at least update him

2: get supplies

3: get a ship. I'm imagining that we will use the same crew but that isn't guaranteed

4: ask what does our northern guide think of this?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
When Imani was informed of the complications added to the mission, he was disappointed but perhaps not surprised, saying, "Things never seem to go like they are planned, do they? Well, this is why I have asked for individuals with abilities such as yours. I did not expect this to be something that a courier could have handled. Please feel free to proceed as you see fit. You have my complete trust, and eternal gratitude. I hope you will be able to find Maccath the Crimson unscathed - she is an expert in her field and will doubly owe me her services if you do. Gods' speed, my friends."

Loklafd was similarly stoic, saying "Me, my cousin the Captain, and the crew of the Frostskimmr are all with you until you return to Daggerford, whatever may come. If we must take you to the Sea of Moving Ice, well, that's all the better: We're northmen, most of us anyway, and we'll be going home."

Captain Half-Face, when he was told, made orders to outfit the Longship for a hard journey north, adding much in the way of extra furs, sails, food, and booze to the ships' stores. He personally checked over all of his crew's clothes, boots, and blankets. Two days after the meeting at the Host Tower, the Frostkimmr was ready to depart.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
During this time, Kalorn had a few things to say to a few people

First, he conveyed his appreciation and respect to the northerners "I see that Imani was very wise in choosing your ship - our chances of success will be much greater than with a big lumbering sailing ship - add to that the courage and experience of your crew and we'll be fine" He did his best to help prepare - he was no sailor, but he was strong and didn't tire easily, and could haul supplies. He was also curious how cold it would get. He didn't feel the cold... but he didn't know how well his protections would do this far north.

Second, he tried speaking with Alhana. "Your skills are going to be essentials if we fight that dragon. I've never fought one myself. But I heard tales of dragons never closing in, just staying at range, using their killing breath. But if there is a crack archer like you hurting it, then it will have to close in... I'll stop it from reaching you"

He then spoke to Sesto. "That water walking spell, that was very good. We'll need it again. Is there a way you can protect us from the breath of the dragon? Probably better than having to heal everyone afterwards... I have some defenses against such attacks, but only for myself"

Lastly, he tried to see if he could understand Primus's sorceries better "I've been thinking... is there a way you can use your mind magic to speak at a long distance? This Maccath the Crimson... she's an expert about dragons right? Maybe she's ... making friends with the dragon? She might have some kind of plan that we could ruin by blundering in. Anyway, no matter what she's up to, speaking with her would be invaluable"

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
To Kalorn,

"Unfortunately, I can only speak telepathically with someone who is relatively close. Within 120 feet or so. As for defense, yes I can gain and grant some measure of protection against elemental magic, but it is taxing, and I can only do it to one person at a time. However, while it takes a little energy, I can grant immunity to extreme temperatures for an hour or so, if that winds up being needed. Protecting a group this large...it would take a lot out of me. But it would be doable if we have no other options."

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Sesto thought a little before he answered Kalorn. I have had the Water Walk spell prepared since we been travelling with Frostskimmr and, by the looks of it, we will need to travel further by boat. As for protection against a dragons breath... Sesto hesitated before he continued, I can do that but I can only focus on one person at the time. I would still be useful for the one person that wants to face the dragon up front. Do we know what kind of dragon we are up against?
Sesto explained further: I can give one person protection in various ways against evil creatures but mostly against demons, devils and undead, and such, not against dragons unfortunately. I could also try to banish the dragon for a short period but it is not easy. A dragon is very powerful and could resist it quite easily but it would be worth a try.
I could, if I had a minute or so, draw a magic circle on the ground, which will form a high cylinder. If we are inside the cylinder then the dragon would have difficulties entering and attacking us, and it would not be able to charm or frighten us. It is quite good and would last for an hour. But if we could get the dragon inside the circle then it would be difficult for it to leave and we would still have the protection. The trouble is... How do you get a dragon to stay put for a minute? Maybe if I banish it first...
Sesto pondered.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Rise of the Dracolich Chapter 4: The Sea of Moving Ice

The Frostskimmr set to sea, into the icy northern winds. The first day was a hardship, with wind and wave working against them, and they clawed their way up the coast as best they could. That night was harder and all hands were woken twice to man the oars - once to avoid being blown into a rocky reef and once to gain sea-room when the northern shore loomed in the darkness. By the following midday, it was decided to spend that night on the island of Ice Peak.

The frozen island southeast of the Sea of Moving Ice was named for the snow-capped promontory that dominated its northern half. Most of its inhabitants lived in a few settlements clustered around the twin bays on the southern shore. One of those settlements was home to a member of the crew, a short broad northman named Tharfin. He promised, in his usual friendly manner, that his townsfolk would serve them a feast. He did not lie.

Typical of the settlements on Ice Peak, the main street of Bjorn's Hold was paved with logs laid side by side, and its buildings were low wooden structures with pitched roofs covered in sod. An enormous longhouse was the town hall at the top of the winding road, and the town chief Teffan Bjornsen had two large mountain goats put on a spit and offered wine and beer in exchange for their story.

Remove ads